Best Picture 1991

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Picture 1991

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

This was a historic year for the academy because Beauty and the Beast the first(and if the academy didn’t change the rules back in 2009) the only animated film to be nominated for Best Picture. As much as I love The Silence of the Lambs(4th favourite film ever in my opinion) I wanted Beauty and the Beast to win( my favourite film ever). In a perfect world both would have won. But, that was never going to happen.

Who do you think should have won? Or think should have been nominated?

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Easy one for me, “Beauty and The Beast”. Best Disney movie Ever besides Toy Story 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

God no. I enjoy Beauty and the Beast too, it’s a wonderful movie right from that absorbing prologue and opening music, which I love. Definitely one of Disney’s best, with a great songbook. But Silence of the Lambs is the deserving winner, in fact one of the strongest best picture winners in the past 20 years. This year the Oscars absolutely got it right…and it’s amazing in every respect that this movie remained in the voter consciousness having opened before the previous year’s Oscar ceremony in February 1991, that the Academy voted for a psychological thriller and female-centered story, and that the resulting controversy didn’t derail it’s chances. This film is riveting, and the onscreen chemistry between Hopkins and Foster absolutely electric. One of the all-time great American films.

I’d also like to say that JFK is a damn good film, one of Oliver Stone’s best directing efforts and impeccably edited, combining several different mediums 35mm 18mm news footage. It loses points for me in its emphasis on telling rather than showing, in several very very long scenes where one character explains what’s going on to Kevin Costner. That being said, the subject is fascinating and Stone conveys his thesis quite well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

The Silence of the Lambs, very closely followed by Beauty and the Beast. Two of my all-time favourite movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

It is very, very, very, very close but The Silence of the Lambs gets my vote with Beauty and the Beast nipping right at its heels. Both are drastically different but both absolutely memorable masterpieces in their own ways.

As for the other three, JFK is overrated, Bugsy is good but not exactly Best Picture material (I need to rewatch it), and The Prince of Tides felt like one step above a Lifetime movie only with slightly better performances.

Movies that were snubbed: Barton Fink, Life is Sweet, My Own Private Idaho, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and Thelma & Louise….any of those five should have replaced the above 3. SILENCE and BEAUTY would obviously remain.    

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I never really liked “Bugsy”. It’s good but I never really thought “Wow this movie is Oscar worthy”. “The Prince of Tides” is another one I thought really wasn’t as great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Bugsy is the weakest link here, such a ”meh” movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Silence of the Lambs’ easily but had ‘Thelma and Louise’ got in that would get my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

No question about it, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.  BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is an impressive film…but I wish if there had to be only one animated best picture nominee for the 2000’s it would have have been THE LION KING or THE LITTLE MERMAID.

1. The Silence of the Lambs
    2. Beauty and the Beast
    3. JFK
    4. The Prince of Tides
    5. Bugsy 

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

As it is, this is a pretty enjoyable year, but it could have really been improved if Bugsy and Prince of Tides had been replaced. Personally, I would have gone with Barton Fink as a BP nominee, but Thelma & Louise, Terminator 2, and Boyz N the Hood would have been satisfying substitutes, as well.

Regardless, Silence of the Lambs stands tall as my pick. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite films of all time, so that would’ve instantly got my vote. However, Silence of the Lambs was equally as deserving and incredible, so I am glad that won. With the exception of JFK, the rest of these nominees are mediocre. 1991 was such a bad year in films, just based off of the BP and acting lineups.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

Beauty and the Beast

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

This was a tough decision between Beauty and the Beast and The Silence of the Lambs. But eventually, I chose The Silence of the Lambs.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Best Picture 1991

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.