Home Forums Polls! Best Picture 1998

Best Picture 1998

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

Bleh. Don’t like this year.

allabout oscars
    Topics:

2 good movies
    1 masterpeice

the best
    SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

1998: the most tragic year in Oscar history. So much brilliant art, so little of it rewarded.

The Thin Red Line is the best movie up here. Saving Private Ryan is a close second. But both are behind The Truman Show, which, if I was voting, I would have voted for Picture, Director to the very overdue Peter Weir, supporting actor to the even more overdue Ed Harris and Original Screenplay (the film’s best aspect) to Andrew Niccol, who unfortunately has yet to produce another screenplay worthy of returning to the Oscars., as well as nominations for Carrey and  Weir especially deserved recognition for bringing the truly great acting ability out of the bizarre Jim Carrey and taming Laura Linney, who more often than not works with small-name directors who she can easily overpower, allowing her to do whatever she wants with her roles, thus causing bad performances.

The film was truly robbed. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

The Thind Red Line
    Saving Private Ryan
    Shakespeare in Love
    Life is Beautiful
    Elizabeth

The Truman Show and Gods and Monsters were so much better than these 3 filmes I’ve ranked last.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Saving Private Ryan gets my vote by default. I would also consider Thin Red Line as well.

The truth is I also feel this list of nominees is bland and I don’t love any of them.

Put me in the camp that feels THE TRUMAN SHOW was egregiously robbed of Best Picture. Its snub is still one of the worst in recent memory. It should’ve WON Best Picture, Best Director, Screenplay, Supporting Actor and I would have given it nominations for Carrey, Linney, Cinematography, and Score.   

Gods & Monsters and Pleasantville deserved nominations. Bulworth, A Simple Plan, Out of Sight, and The Opposite of Sex were better than most of the nominees. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Saving Private Ryan for sure. Spielberg’s second best film, after Schindler’s List. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice to see a lot of people here also think that The Truman Show should have been nominated (and won) in 1998, and agree mostly with what has been said about it already. It’s nice that it got it did get a few major nominations (Directing, Screenplay, Supporting Actor), but yes, it was still robbed. It should have been nominated for Picture, Lead Actor, Supporting Actress (Linney), Cinematography, Score, and (why not?) Editing too. I personally would have loved to see it win Picture, Director, Actor, Screenplay, and perhaps a few more of the other categories I mentioned.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

What 3 people voted for SiL?? I mean seriously>?

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

At least nobody voted for Elizabeth. Praying!

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

What 3 people voted for SiL?? I mean seriously>?

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like the same amount of people would have voted for The Truman Show, which wasn’t even nominated 😛 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to agree with THE TRUMAN SHOW love, a real shame it wasn’t nominated…it gets my director vote this year.

Not a bad lineup though.  Sorry but I absolutely love SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE…despite Affleck’s performance.

1. Shakepeare In Love
    2. Life Is Beautiful
    3. Savign Private Ryan
    4. The Thin Red Line
    5. Elizabeth 

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

Saving Private Ryan should have won hands down. I fucking hated Shakespeare in Love, such a massive bore.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Shakespeare in Love. It was the best of the group. Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line are overrated to me. Spielberg earned his directing award but other than the first battle scene, the movie is a bore. The Thin red Line is just too artsy. Elizabeth was eh. Life is Beautiful is the worst movie ever nominated for Best Picture I truely hated it. It was just insulting and annoying. Mulan was the best of 1998 but Shakespeare in Love was the best of the nominees 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.