Home Forums Polls! Best Picture 2000: What film deserved to win?

Best Picture 2000: What film deserved to win?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • KT
    Topics:

I love this year and didn’t see a poll for it in the forum. I think it was a particularly close year for Best Picture. This is clear in the result of Best Director on Oscar night, where Steven Soderbergh still managed to win for Traffic while being nominated for Erin Brokovich as well.

Crouching Tiger, Gladiator, and Traffic were strong nominees. Traffic won the SAG ensemble and WGA; Crouching Tiger the DGA and most nominations ever for a foreign film; and Gladiator the Golden Globe and box office, representing the reemergence of the Hollywood epic. I think it’s clear that Erin Brokovich and Chocolat weren’t nearly as competitive. And, of course, Almost Famous, Billy Elliot, Cast Away, Dancer in the Dark, Requiem for a Dream, Wonder Boys, Yi Yi, etc. weren’t nominated. 

Which of the five nominees would you have voted for/should have won Best Picture?

Trent
    Topics:

Crouching Tiger often gets praised to high heaven on these boards, and I agree with much of the praise. But Traffic is the best film on this list.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Chocolat didn’t deserve a nomination. I don’t think it’s a good film

I honestly think Gladiator was the best of the bunch. But the other 3 movies are great too.  

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Id give it to Crotching tiger hands down. One of my favorite films of the decade if not my favorite. Gladiator was very entertaining but was not the best in my opinion. Cast Away was a personal favorite for me and would have been a nominee if it was up to me lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Traffic should have won. It won Oscars that are usually won by Best Picture winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, especially after looking back a decade. I personally loved Chocolat, find Erin B worth the watch, especially for Finney and Helgenberger, and watched in dismay when Gladiator won.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

None of those nominated deserved to win.
    IMO
    REQUIEM FOR A DREAM is the finest film of 2000

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    2. Traffic

3. Chocolat

really did not like
    4.  Gladiator

Besides Finney I really, really DID NOT LIKE
    5. Erin Brockovich 

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Traffic Traffic Traffic

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I voted for TRAFFIC, the only film among that list I would probably put on my personal top 5 (though Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon would be close).

I cannot stand Gladiator or Chocolat, and Erin Brokovich I only found to be decent at best. 

My favorite film that year was easily ALMOST FAMOUS and I also felt that Billy Elliot, Best in Show, Cast Away, Wonder Boys, You Can Count on Me, Requiem for a Dream, and Yi Yi were better than any of the nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Other best films of 2000:

Code Unknown
    Dancer in the Dark
    In the Mood for Love*
    Requiem for a Dream
    Yi Yi

*Originally released in 2000 but made its North America debut in 2001.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

Traffic, easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I dont care for Traffic as much as I once did, but I loved CZJ’s perf, along with Quaids’. I was happy that del Toro won at the time. But Lee’s bringing the traditional, monied and honed Asian martial arts film to a mainstream audience was an important, and happy inclusion imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Yeah I didn’t include In The Mood For Love in my post since it didn’t qualify this year.

For me this is a difficult choice between Crouching Tiger and Traffic. Traffic is so expertly made: Gaghan’s script (perhaps one of the strongest examples of “hyperlink cinema”); Soderbergh’s direction–use of handheld camera, colors to distinguish storylines, balancing the tone; and, of course, the outstanding cast–Benicio is amazing and Catherine Zeta-Jones deserved a nomination. I think the work strongly conveys that drug trafficking connects many people of many backgrounds and will continue its never-ending cycle of self-destruction. The scene at the baseball field in particular makes for a powerful end to the film.

But watching Crouching Tiger again, for the first time in many years, was an even more powerful experience. I was in awe of how well Lee blends the martial arts with a commentary on Chinese society, the role of gender/women and relationships, themes of revenge and suicide. Michelle Yeoh gave such an inspired performance, singular in her career. It actually took me by surprise as I didn’t pick up on it when I was younger. Of course the bamboo forest scene is gorgeous, especially how Lee and Peter Pau capture Mu Bai and Jen passing each other along the bending tree. The legend of Wudan mountain, the sojourn in the desert, the final scene between the leads as they finally give in to emotion…what a wonderful film and my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with everything you say re Crouching Tiger. I think the desert scenes are my favorites, and of all time.

I am the Invincible Sword Goddess, armed with the incredible Green Destiny….lower your head and ask for mercy…I am the desert dragon…I leave no trace…”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.