Home Forums Polls! Best Picture 2001

Best Picture 2001

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Trent
    Topics:

I know that I’m not the only one here who thinks that A Beautiful Mind is a mess, and that it won because Ron Howard had been snubbed for Apollo 13.

But what deserved to win?

Gosford Park was the most acclaimed of the bunch.
    LOTR: FOTR was the most commercially successful.
    In the Bedroom had the indie support.
    Moulin Rouge had fanboy support.

Or was your personal winner not even nominated?  

Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously they were wating for #3 but LOTR’s was head and shouldrs above anything else on this list.

In The Bedroom is a decent but unspectacular drama.

Gosford Park is fun and entertaining but ultimately insubstantial.

A Beautiful Mind is awful.

And Moulin Rouge a complete headache. Was it Spielberg who advised  Baz Luhrmunn to ‘put down the scissors’.

Lord of the Rings is completely astounding. I don’t like fantasy films at all but this was spectacular from beginning to end. I’ve never known such a long film to drag so little.

Should have won ’01 and ’03. I’ll let them off ’02 as the 2nd part was a bit lumpen with dodgy effects.           

ReplyCopy URL
    WorthyWinner
    Topics:

unnominated A.I.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Quite a painful year for me to watch unfold.
    I liked Gosford, and it has stayed with me. But when the lights came on, most of the audience I saw this with were asleep. I’m not kidding either.
    ITB is quite an achievement for that cast, but the sense was that, it wasnt going to win BP,
    Moulin Rouge is one of Baz’s  better efforts, stylized and with two terrific leads. But it wasnt going to win either and especially not without a Director nom.

I really really dislike A Beautiful Mind.

The most creative film that year imo is Mulholland Drive. That was probably too much for the Academy to digest.

My favorite films that year were the gorgeous rendering of Rings. Memento, and Shrek. A.I is a visionary film, but so relentlessly depressing, it was hard to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t even know where to begin. 2001 was a year that I found very little passion for any film, but the ones I found some solace in were “Mulholland Dr.”, “The Man Who Wasn’t There”, “Bridget Jones’ Diary”, “Ghost World”, “Memento”, and to a much lesser extent “Shrek”, and nominees Gosford Park, In The Bedroom, and Moulin Rouge.

Moulin Rouge was my favorite at the time, being a huge theatre and musical lover and all, but over time, it lost something for me.

In The Bedroom falls into a category that I am a sucker for: the depressing Domestic Drama/Soap-Opera…..if anything stands out from the film it was the acting. Sissy Spacek and Marisa Tomei were in top form, but Tom Wilkinson stole the show and should have won the Oscar….but the film itself wasn’t overly amazing.

Gosford Park falls into another genre I love: British/Dry Comedy….however, I barely remember it and would need to review it again, but I do have fond memories of it.

I would probably select Mulholland Dr. for my personal vote if only for its style, ambition, and the strong acting showcase from Naomi Watts (who should have won that year in a cakewalk)….but even it isn’t my favorite Lynch film and I can’t watch it over and over (I’d rather sit through Blue Velvet more and that isn’t easy with a character like Frank Booth in it, but that remains Lynch’s best for me).

Of the nominees….oh gosh….A Beautiful Mind was boring and very forgettable and honestly not deserving of any major awards. Russell Crowe was decent but I normally can’t stand to watch him on screen, and Ron Howard has done much better work. Hell, Ron Howard did a better job with SPLASH and PARENTHOOD and COCOON over A Beautiful Mind. I do, however, think Ron Howard deserved his notices for Frost/Nixon.

LOTR was definitely a trimuph in its massive effects and sweeping landscapes but I just can’t get into it. I don’t like fantasy or adventure films (maybe rarely so), but while I admire it for its efforts, I really just couldn’t get into it.

So, as of today and it could change tomorrow…..sigh…..Moulin Rouge             

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Gosford Park gets better with every viewing. One of my favorites from the last decade. I wouldn’t have minded seeing Moulin Rogue win. Even ITB winning would have been passable. It’s a pretty good domestic drama/quiet tragedy (certainly better than Ordinary People) even if it kinda falls apart in the last act. The LOTR series didn’t start to do anything for me until the second installment. It just doesn’t get any worse than A Beautiful Mind.

That was a pretty good year for movies. Mulholland Dr, Memento, Gosford Park, Ghost World, AI, Amelie, Shrek and Moulin Rogue all stand out from of decade’s bundle. Each had a very distinctive vision. The former four movies are in my top ten-twenty favorites of the decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Gosford Park should had won Picture, Director, Screenplay, Supporting Actress (Smith). A Beautiful Mind should had won a second consecutive best actor Oscar for Russel Crowe.

My ranking of this group:

1-Gosford Park
    2-LOTR-The Fellowship of the Ring
    3-Moulin Rouge
    4-In the Bedroom
    5-A Beautiful Mind

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Easy:

MULHOLLAND DR.

Runner-up:

LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Easy:

MULHOLLAND DR.

Runner-up:

LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

Agreed.

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

VERY EASY: MULHOLLAND DRIVE
    Runner up: In the bedroom 

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
    LostBoy2003
    Participant
    Topics:

If I remember correctly at the time many thought it was either going to be A Beautiful Mind wins both or Moulin Rouge gets picture and Altman gets director. Alot of people were predicting Altman to win with A Beautiful Mind still getting picture.

Altman was by far and away the most deserving winner that yeay (how that man never won a competitive oscar I will never know) I bet if they released the votes they would show him in second place for his nominations with MASH Nashville and Gosford Park.

I agree Smith should have won supporting or Helen Mirren but with both of them in that category they prolly split the votes.

Gosford Park for the win!         

ReplyCopy URL
    helmetz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Gosford Park gets better with every viewing.

Of the five nominees, I agree that it has definitely held up the best.  I would have voted for “Gosford” then as the best, and I’d certainly vote for it now.

ReplyCopy URL
    WaltEagle
    Participant
    Topics:

My favourites of 2001 included Y tu mama tambien, The Royal Tenenbaums, Mulholland Dr., Wet Hot American Summer, and Spirited Away – the kind of lineup you’ll never see for Best Picture.  But I love Fellowship too, so that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

^ A lot of people view Y Tu Mama Tambien and Spirited Away as 2002 movies, because that was the year they were eligible at the Oscars.

I wouldn’t have minded one of the Gosford women winning in supporting. Any of the alternatives would have been superior to Connelly. But while In the Bedroom doesn’t really hold up with multiple viewings, Tomei’s performance remains one of the powerful and honest performances of that decade.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.