Home Forums Polls! Best Picture 2008

Best Picture 2008

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Beau S.
allabout oscars
Miss Frost
  • Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

This was a great year for performances but they got the best picture lineup all wrong IMO. I did not like B. Button or Slumdog at all, and yet they were the two frontrunners if I remember correctly. Milk is the only choice to me.

Milk
    The Reader
    Frost/Nixon
    Benjamin Button
    Slumdog

Beau S.
    Topics:

The (unnominated) Dark Knight is far and away the Best Picture of this year.

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Slumdog Millionaire
    3. Milk
    4. Benjamin Button
    5. The Wrestler
    (6. Wall-E) 

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

MILK   easily…..The Slumdog hype train started early
    and unfortunately right up til oscar night with 8 oscars…

OMG..so wrong!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

From this list, definitely Milk. Awful lineup and Slumdog M was an awful winner. My personal winner would be Wall-E, with Dark Knoght and Wrestler getting in as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I really liked SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, but not as much as MILK.  Hated Benjamin Button!!!  WALL-E or THE DARK KNIGHT would have been better nominees.

1. Milk
    2. Slumdog Millionaire
    3. The Reader
    4. Frost/Nixon
    5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Milk.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I truly liked Sean Penn but that’s about it. Most of this lineup brings my gorge up and spurs me to make caustic fun of the Academy. Detested Slumdog and have lost the last bit of respect I ever had for Danny Boyle. Some nice perfs in Frost/Nixon and overall ensemble is good. The Reader? Two unfortunate deaths spurred that nomination.
    But I LOVED Ben Button. That’s my choice. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Slumdog Millionaire was a film that everyone around me seemed to love so I felt like I had to be a little soft on my perception of it, but now I am completely out in the open in feeling that it was a vastly overrated piece of work that only had a few good moments. I feel like its phenomenon died down fast and I honestly expect it to become a derided winner in future years.

The Reader started off well but the more it went on, the less I cared and the less interested I became. I do feel the performances were good, but I don’t think Winslet should have won for this (had she been nominated for Revolutionary Road, I would have supported it). The Reader getting nominated was definitely an unworthy selection but there have been worse films nominated.

TCCofBB was a film I really loved at the time. Now, I am at a point where I may need to revisit it again because over the past few years, I just only seem to remember the flawed aspects and how it just seemed to have to many similarities to Forrest Gump (thanks to Eric Roth).

Frost/Nixon was underrated IMO. I loved the performances (I saw it on Broadway as well) and despite the fact that Frank Langella didn’t make the perfect Nixon, it was an admirable performance. Michael Sheen was quite good in what was, in many ways, the thankless role of the two.

My vote easily goes to MILK, which moved me tremendously and I adored Sean Penn’s work in it and I really loved the script and Gus Van Sant’s direction (nothing flashy but it suited the movie well). It was a great ensemble of actors (even though I still don’t get the acolades that Josh Brolin received).

Other snubbed films that deserved a mention before The Reader or Slumdog Millionaire:
    WALL-E
    The Dark Knight
    Happy Go Lucky
    In Bruges
    Vicky Christina Barcelona (not one of Allen’s best and it wouldn’t make my list but it was better than those two films)
    Waltz with Bashir                   

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

My Personal Best Picture winner is The Dark Knight, but it wasn’t nominated. This is my list:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Slumdog Millionaire
    3. WALL-E
    4. The Reader
    5. Milk/In Bruges 

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

WALL-E and The Dark Knight not being nominated cheapens the best picture trophy.  I voted for Milk but its a default choice. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Best Picture 2008

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.