Home Forums Movies Best Picture 2013

Best Picture 2013

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
NoLogo
Chevi
Spark87
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion, with some minor exceptions, this is one of the best lineups in recent memory. A pretty diverse array of films in a banner year for cinema. 

Originally, my pick was 12 Years A Slave, but now, I’d lean towards Her. Although 12 Years A Slave is still really good along with Gravity, Captain Phillips, and Wolf of Wall Street. Philomena wasn’t too bad, but if American Hustle, Nebraska, and Dallas Buyers Club weren’t on here, I wouldn’t miss them.

My personal ballot if I were a voter:

Blue Is The Warmest Color 
    Captain Phillips
    Frozen
    Gravity
    Her
    The Place Beyond The Pines
    Short Term 12
    Stories We Tell
    12 Years A Slave
    Wolf of Wall Street  

Chevi
    Participant
    Topics:

12 Years A Slave. At that moment I believed it deserved the win and still think is the best movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well heck. Reading the BP lineup from that year makes me think of…those films. All of them I can make fun of…..at least some or all aspects of.

Except for Philomena, the film that was “too small” to get any attention, and “too under the radar” for Dench receiving a very worthy nomination.

I’ll go with that, since there’s a good chance I’ll be the only one voting for it. It’s the only film out of the bunch I have no sarcastic comments to make about it.

Lol.

Btw I’m fairly certain that The Croods was my favorite film that year, followed by Pines.

ReplyCopy URL
    Patrick
    Participant
    Topics:

I would’ve nominated Blue Jasmine for best picture. Love that film and Cate Blanchett’s performance of course. Not a film to win, but definitely worthy to be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

12 Years a Slave is one of the better BP winners in recent memory, even if I prefer revisting/watching Gravity. 

Inside Llewyn Davis was the best movie of that year, though. Embarrassing oversight, especially in favor of stuff like Philomena or American Hustle. 

ReplyCopy URL
    NoLogo
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity.

It just moved me like no other film did in 2013. It was technically brilliant and anchored by a knock-out (and career best) performance by Sandra Bullock.

I must admit that the 2013 Best PIcture Line-up was one of least favourites in memory. I absolutely loathed Philomena and Her (save for Scarlett Johansson’s wonderful vocal performance) and didn’t find Wolf of Wall Street to be anything special.

I would rank them as follows:

1. Gravity
    2. Captain Phillips
    3. 12 Years A Slave
    4. American Hustle
    5. Dallas Buyers Club
    6. Nebraska

7. Wolf of Wall Street

8. Her
    9. Philomena 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

For me, it was all about the bio pics. Philomena, Captain Phillips, and The Wolf of Wall Street topped my list.

Gravity was too much of a horror movie. I never asked for the opportunity to see Sandra Bullock in skimpy underwear. To quote Lisa Kudrow in a classic Friends moment, “Ooh, my eyes.”

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Its funny NoLogo, I could not agree with you more about Gravity. Easily the most impressive and moving cinematic experience i had that year with an oscar worthy central performance from Bullock, who was my personal winner that year.

But couldn’t agree less about the other two haha. Her would absolutely be my second choice, and probably followed by Philomena, a real surprise of a movie. Out of the nominees at least.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity is one of the most overrated movies ever.

I think either American Hustle or Twelve Years a Slave, although I really liked Captain Phillips too. 

ReplyCopy URL
    kvothe_snow
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite movie from 2013 was Her, followed by Gravity.

Her was poetic. The color choices, the conversations between Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett were so moving, the acting…were just so perfect. It’s a movie I haven’t watched more than once, but when I saw it my heartstrings were tugged.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity
    Her
    Wolf of Wall Street
    Philomena
    12 Years a Slave
    Captain Phillips
    American Hustle
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Nebraska

One of the very rarities in which I like all of the Best Picture line up of films.

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree. That year’s Best Picture line-up was golden. Every film in that Top 9 was worthy of its placing. Gravity, Captain Phillips, 12 Years A Slave, Nebraska and Dallas Buyers Club were Top 5 tier for me.
    Great mixture of acclaim, passion and box office.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a weakness for “Dallas Buyers Club”. My vote goes for it. “12 Years a Slave” was a worthy winner anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I though 12 Years a Slave deserved to win then and I still do. Then again, I have rewatched it several times since while I only watched Gravity once in the theater and that’s it. I’m almost afraid to watch it on a small screen in 2D, in case it doesn’t hold up, but one of these days I might just have to. Her is my second favourite, and DBC is my least – too much obvious emotional tugging, and Rayon is an offensive caricature. (Seriously she doesn’t even seem to care when others repeatedly misgender her, nor is there much indication that we should either.) 

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

God, how I hated this line-up.
    Philomena is the only film I liked here.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Best Picture 2013

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.