Best Score 2005

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Score 2005

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Memoirs of a Geisha
    2. Munich
    3. Pride & Prejudice
    4. Brokeback Mountain
    5. The Constant Gardener

KT
    Topics:

Very interesting to have polls for Best Original Score. So often the Academy gets this category wrong. This year was one example. I was so certain Memoirs of a Geisha would win. And Williams actually won the Golden Globe that year, an award he has surprisingly won fewer times than the Oscar. Looking back, I’m sure the fact he was competing against himself hurt him, as well as the fact that he’s John Williams and people take his work for granted (what is it? 48 nominations, 5 wins). While I know some people criticize his scores and say they all sound the same, some were severely overlooked for much lesser works. Memoirs losing to Brokeback Mountain’s simple guitar theme. Ridiculous. Some other examples are almost as terrible: Raiders losing to Chariots of Fire–no way, the case of a pop song beating a wonderfully scored film (the Map Room: Dawn is one of his greatest musical cues). Little Mermaid beating Last Crusade. And I can’t even recall what beat Empire Strikes Back, which I think stands as Williams’ greatest film music, the last half hour being truly masterful work (though thank heavens the Academy awarded his greatest scored film, Jaws). 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Best Score 2005

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.