Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actor 1987

Best Supporting Actor 1987

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Who should have won?

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Grea lineup, although I place the winner last.  Struggle to say Brooks over Gardenia…only by a smidge.

1. Brooks
    2, Gardenia
    3. Freeman
    4. Washington
    5. Connery 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Gardenia
    2. Freeman
    3. Brooks
    4. Connery
    5. Washington

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Albert Brooks

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Always got to go for the loveable dork when he’s done right. Albert Brooks by a mile (though I could enjoy just about anyone winning). 

Either Vincent D’onofrio or R. Lee Ermey would have made great additions to this line-up, in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

The line-up wasn’t the best in the category history

• Albert Brooks deserved to be there for sure. 
    • I read the book of Cry Freedom and Steve Biko is the co-lead along with Donald Woods. Therefore I would have put Denzel Washington in Lead with Kevin Kline.
    • I truly believe Sean Connery’s nomination and win were just because of his vetertan status. It was a nice performance, but not Academy Award worthy
    • Morgan Freeman and Vincent Gardenia were deserving nominees, but in 1987, there were many better performances that could have been nominated. Gardenia should have been nominated the previous year for the fantastic Little Shop of Horrors and Freeman should be a triple Academy Award winner now – Best Actor for Driving Miss Daisy, Best Supporting Actor for the Shawshank Redemption and Best Supporting Actor for Million Dollar Baby

My line-up would look like this:

• Albert Brooks in Broadcast News
    • R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket
    • Mandy Patinkin in The Princess Bride
    • Vincent Price in The Whales of August
    • Richard Griffiths in Withnail and I

Brooks is the only real nominee from the year in my predictions because he was incredible in Broadcast News. Its disappointing that The Princess Bride didn’t get any acting nominations. For me, it was between Patinkin and Christopher Guest to see who got the nomination. Patinkin won by a hair mainly because Guest is more of a writer and director than serious actor. Never once in his career was Vincent Price nominated for an Academy Award. He could have been given a veteran’s nomination for acting across from Lillian Gish and Bette Davis, but yet he was shut out. The late Richard Griffiths was bitingly funny in Witnail and I, and he deserved a nomination. However, the finest performance of the year was R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket. I don’t see how Louis Gossett Jr. can win an Academy Award for playing a drill seargeant and Ermey couldn’t even get a nomination. I was so surprised with how great Ermey was, and it is definitely Stanley Kubrick’s most underrated performer.  

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

For me, it’s Connery all the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Albert Brooks

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Sean Connery needed to have an Oscar.  So many of his best performances went un-nominated.  Perhaps it was hard for people in the industry to see him apart from James Bond.  He won a BAFTA for lead actor in the 80s.  He was great in The Untouchables, but I suggest any doubters go watch The Man Who Would Be King, The Name of the Rose, The Russia House, The Hill, The Offence, or even Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  He could be great, when given the opportunity, with an incredible screen charisma, and The Untouchables was finally the right vehicle for Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Freeman.

He also swept the L.A. and New York Film Critics awards as well as the National Society of Film Crtitics awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Connery all the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Connery is an easy 5th.

I’d go with Brooks.

ReplyCopy URL
    dwb585
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Freeman
    2. Brooks
    3. Gardenia
    4. Connery
    5. Washington 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely not a bad category, but I definitely agree about R. Lee Ermey and also with the mentions of Mandy Patinkin and Christopher Guest.

Connery was, without a doubt, solid in The Untouchables, but also the weakest in the lineup….and Washington was definitely more of a lead.

Albert Brooks was very strong in Broadcast News, and Morgan Freeman was great in a movie that is somewhat forgotten today. Vincent Gardenia was such a wonderful character actor, and it was nice to see him receive a 2nd nomination for this.

Since Morgan Freeman will get two votes for me in other years (1994, 2004), it comes down between Brooks and Gardenia.

I will give it to Brooks, but my mood could change to Freeman or Gardenia.       

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actor 1987

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.