Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actor 1988

Best Supporting Actor 1988

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the times that the Academy chose to reward a purely comedic role.

Was Kline a justifiable choice? Should Landau have prevailed after winning the Golden Globe? And what of River Phoenix, who got in despite playing the story’s central character?

Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen any of these performances. Dont feel I need to.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

This was a tough year. Kline was incredible, Alec was amazingly good, River was amazing and Landau was excellent as well. The right person won though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Guinness. I just find Kline annoying.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

All of these perfs are so varied and deserving. Kline’s timing is perfect. But, I went with River Phoenix, whose portrayal of a gifted, tormented musician has stayed with me from the day it opened in the theatres. Christine Lahti and the rest of the cast is superb as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Great lineup…Stockwell was my favorite…hard to put Landau last but it’s such a strong year.

1. Stockwell
    2. Guinness
    3. Kline
    4. Phoenix
    5. Landau 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Kline without a doubt.
    Whenever I feel that the Academy Awards are an elitist club who only reward huge performances by big stars, I remember that Kevin Kline has an Academy Award for a wonderful little film like A Fish Called Wanda and suddenly the AMPAS is redeemed in my eyes.
    I just wish A Fish Called Wanda got more recognition apart from Supporting Actor (win) and Director and Screenplay. Jamie Lee Curtis deserved a Best Actress nomination (over Sigourney Weaver for Gorillas in the Mist. Weaver should have won for Working Girl) and John Cleese deserved a Best Actor nomination over Edward James Olmos.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

None of the above.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Who would have been your choice, Gucci?

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

My vote goes to Kline.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

a really weak year, kline easily be the stand-out

ReplyCopy URL
    DudeAbides
    Participant
    Topics:

I would vote for Kline. He is hilarious. I would also nominate Landau. However, I think Phoenix is in the wrong category. His performance is a leading one. I also think Guinness and Stockwell are good, but any English or Italian-American actor respectively would have given as good a performance as they did. My nominees would have been:
    Alan Rickman for Die Hard
    Kline
    Peter Falk for Wings of Desire
    Landau
    Either Joe Pantoliano or Dennis Farina for Midnight Run

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

It is a case where all of them are pratically on the same level, but give extremely diverse performances.

I did end up voting for Kline, because not only is he deserving of an Oscar but this was a perfect opportunity to reward him and also for a film that should’ve been nominated for Best Picture….and it should’ve won. It is crazy that this is his only nomination/win for an Oscar, especially with his work in movies like Sophie’s Choice and even fluffier fare like In & Out that are completely enjoyable.

River Phoenix was a gifted young actor and I am sure his career would’ve continued to acheive great heights had he not passed away. It definitely is debatable on whether he was truly Supporting as he was in many ways the focal point of the story (much like Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People), but I think it isn’t blatant fraud. I have actually considered him my choice in the past and may do so again.

Guinness was good but I barely remember him.
    Landau did better in his other two nominated performances, but he was really sweet and touching in Tucker.
    Stockwell also falls into the good but not very memorable category for me.

I love the previous mention of Alan Rickman in DIE HARD. It is definitely a topic that can raise some eyebrows but I do think this was a great “coming-out” role for him and he left a strong impression playing such a despicible human being.           

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad to see so much love for Kevin Kline’s work. It’s honestly one of my favorite Academy Award wins of all time, and remains perhaps the funniest performance I’ve ever seen on film. Such an unexpected delight seeing him earn his just rewards. 

I love the previous mention of Alan Rickman in DIE HARD. It is definitely a topic that can raise some eyebrows but I do think this was a great “coming-out” role for him and he left a strong impression playing such a despicible human being.           

He’s high in my line-up, too. I love Die Hard, and he brings so much life to the character. Hans Grueber is already an entertaining figure to start with, but Rickman is so charismatic that I almost wished that he had succeeded by the end of the film. He revels in every moment he’s onscreen. 

Also, this may be a bit of a cheat (as he’s perhaps more of a co-lead than Supporting Actor), but I love Charles Grodin in Midnight Run. His rapport with Robert De Niro really resonated with me, and I love how their relationship develops throughout the film. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.