Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actor 1998

Best Supporting Actor 1998

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

This lineup for me was a wasted opporunity to give Ed Harris or even Billy Bob Thornton their richly deserved acting Oscars.

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Billy Bob gets my vote…Pretty good to ok category except for the winner, didn’t believe Coburn for a second.

1. Thornton
    2. Harris
    3. Rush
    4. Duvall
    5. Coburn 

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I do like Coburn, but it is unfortunate that Harris couldn’t have gotten his due here, especially as it could have been a wonderful opportunity to acknowledge the brilliance of The Truman Show in itself.

By the way, what do you guys think about the cast of The Thin Red Line? I realize that the majority of the characters are basically edited down to cameo appearances throughout the film, but I remember actually really loving Nick Nolte and his character. He would’ve made my Top 3.

Bill Murray was also sadly passed over for his work in Rushmore. He could have made a satisfying winner too, when I think about it.    

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

Coburn gave one of the best performances in this category imo. Affliction and performances in it are very underrated (if one can call Oscar winning performance underrated). Billy Bob Thornton and Geoffrey Rush are also great. My ranking would be
    1.Coburn
    2.Thornton
    3.Rush
    4.Harris
    5.Duvall

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

I do like Coburn, but it is unfortunate that Harris couldn’t have gotten his due here, especially as it could have been a wonderful opportunity to acknowledge the brilliance of The Truman Show in itself.

By the way, what do you guys think about the cast of The Thin Red Line? I realize that the majority of the characters are basically edited down to cameo appearances throughout the film, but I remember actually really loving Nick Nolte and his character. He would’ve made my Top 3.

Bill Murray was also sadly passed over for his work in Rushmore. He could have made a satisfying winner too, when I think about it.    

Nick Nolte should’ve been nominated. He would’ve been my no.2 right behind Coburn.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Billy Bob gets my vote…Pretty good to ok category except for the winner, didn’t believe Coburn for a second.

1. Thornton
    2. Harris
    3. Rush
    4. Duvall
    5. Coburn 

I went with Billy Bob also. I’m surprised by the number of votes for Harris, who is terrific in the film.  

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

My rankings (all of them ranked from good to great):
    1. Coburn (underrated and unfairly criticized)
    2. Harris (very close behind)
    3. Duvall
    4. Rush
    5. Thornton   

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

None of the above.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Very odd category. I am very surprised that Robert Duvall was able to get nominated for A Civil Action, and he even won the SAG. It was an okay performance and it did have that humorous moment (which was his Oscar clip) where he falls asleep in the courtroom.

Geoffrey Rush is a great actor, but I found him to be very hammy in Shakespeare in Love and this was easily my least favorite of his nominated works. He wasn’t bad but I didn’t see him as Oscar worthy. I would’ve preferred him to get in for the, admittedly weaker film, Elizabeth but I don’t think he’d make my lineup even then.

Thorton, Coburn, and Harris were all good but my personal vote goes to Ed Harris for a couple of reasons. Primarily because it was a good chance to give him his due, it was good performance…maybe a bit subtle but his speech to Jim Carrey at the end was lovely; and it was also a way to give a win to The Truman Show which was a film that was robbed immensly.

Coburn was also quite good but I need to view that film again. I haven’t seen it probably since it was released to video.

Thorton came close to getting my vote, plus I felt his film was worthy to be considered for a Best Picture nomination as well and it is very fogotten today. Nevertheless, it was a very good performance and film.

I do feel the snub of Bill Murray was rather uncalled for. Also, I agree Nolte for Thin Red Line or William H. Macy for Pleasantville would’ve been good choices for nominations. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Indeed. In the time since, my rankings would probably be:

1) Nick Nolte, The Thin Red Line
    2) Ed Harris, The Truman Show
    3) Bill Murray, Rushmore
    4) Billy Bob Thornton, A Simple Plan
    5) Dylan Baker, Happiness

6) John Goodman, The Big Lebowski (Very close to making it in)
    7) James Coburn, Affliction
    8) Elias Koteas, The Thin Red Line
    9) Geoffrey Rush, Elizabeth
    10) William H. Macy, Elizabeth

ReplyCopy URL
    Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Robert Duvall
    2. Ed Harris
    3. Geoffrey Rush
    4. James Coburn
    5. Billy Bob Thornton 

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Coburn actually deserved his win.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actor 1998

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.