1. Joaquin Phoenix
2. Albert Finney
3. Benicio del Toro
4. Jeff Bridges
5. Willem Dafoe
del Toro for sure with Bridges a decent second…
1. del Toro
3. Finney – the only thing I liked about this movie (Eckhart was good too I guess…)
5. Phoenix – I just don’t get the praise for this performance…same with the overall film…blah!
The right person won. All performances are good.
1. Benicio del Toro – arguably a lead though
2. Dafoe – strikingly good performance from an underrated actor
3. Bridges – terrible film but great performance from one of the great American actors
4. Finney – I like the film (and Roberts in it) a lot more than most people and Finney was excellent, but not as good as the top 3
5. Phoenix – one of my favorite actors and a good performance but nothing compared to what he’s proven he’s capable of doing
Shout out to the unnominated:
Gary Oldman in The Contender
Aaron Eckhart in Erin Brockovich
Michael Douglas in Traffic
Don Cheadle in Traffic
Even though im really not a fan of his, Phoenix shouldve won. This is still my fav performance of his.
I am not wild about this race. Decent, solid performances but nothing that wowed me.
I’d say Benicio Del Toro deserved it, but Finney and Phoenix are close behind.
Dafoe was the best here.
Benicio del Toro. Easy. A great performance and the heart of a very good movie about the all-encompassing scope and devastatingly cyclical nature of drug trafficking. I was surprised more performances from the film weren’t also nominated, especially Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones, but del Toro was clearly the strongest and is one of the most deserving winners of the supporting actor category over the last decade.