Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actress 1955

Best Supporting Actress 1955

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

one of the very few inspired win in oscar history went to Van Fleet for east of eden. the oscars even refused the chance to honor Wood who was a hollywood star, Blair who won in bafta, and Pavan who won the golden globe.
    well who do you think should win that year?

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Van Fleet rightly won…Blair would have been a perfectly acceptable choice.  Although I think Lee was great and Wood OK, neither should have been considered seriously for the win.  Pavan was the very least of the nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really surprised that Julie Haris wasn’t nominated here.

ReplyCopy URL
    tonorlo
    Participant
    Topics:

This is one of the most teeth-gnashing lineups in this category’s history, not so much for who was included on the ballot, but for who was left off (see: WHERE were Katy Jurado, Ethel Waters and Maureen O’Hara in the 1952 Supporting lineup?).

Had Rosalind Russell consented to be considered in this category for “Picnic,” she could have nabbed the elusive Oscar, and had she lost, she would have that much more steam behind her “Auntie Mame” nomination three years later. Had “The Night of the Hunter” found its way onto the Academy’s radar at all, Lillian Gish was more than worthy of a nomination, and she too would have had an excellent shot at a career win (and she would have been a deserving winner on the merit of her performance, in the bargain.) And Julie Harris is yet another excellent suggestion as a replacement nominee, Halo Insider… She had been Oscar-nominated only three years earlier, and in the same year as the much-vaunted “East of Eden,” she reprised her Tony-winning performance on film in “I Am a Camera.” It is too bad that the work she did in 1955 failed to get her back to the Academy ballot (or thereafter, for that matter).

Of the actual nominees, Pavan is the one I can delete with the least pain. I actually find Lee to be an under-appreciated gem in a very tawdry film, and one could definitely see her having a more varied and colorful film output than the one that panned out for her. Blair is marvelous while nevertheless toeing an admittedly uneasy line of category fraud. Wood is trying hard throughout “Rebel,” and for the most part, she hits notes of real poignancy among some decidedly workshoppy lunges at “acting.” Van Fleet is in a strange No Man’s Land of consideration for me. She doesn’t really get anything wrong, but she doesn’t really ring the bells that peal “Oscar! Oscar!” either.

Depending on my mood that day, I oscillate between Blair and Lee, who also represent one of the oldest Oscar conundrums for me: do you reward the person who gets 100% of a fairly straightforward character (Blair), or the person who gets 80% of a more complex soul (Lee)? It may be post-Labor Day ennui talking, but today, I’m feeling Lee more.  

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Had Russell, Gish and Harris been nominated it would be a gut wrenching choice to make!!!  I’d likely go for Gish.

This is one of the most teeth-gnashing lineups in this category’s history, not so much for who was included on the ballot, but for who was left off (see: WHERE were Katy Jurado, Ethel Waters and Maureen O’Hara in the 1952 Supporting lineup?).

Had Rosalind Russell consented to be considered in this category for “Picnic,” she could have nabbed the elusive Oscar, and had she lost, she would have that much more steam behind her “Auntie Mame” nomination three years later. Had “The Night of the Hunter” found its way onto the Academy’s radar at all, Lillian Gish was more than worthy of a nomination, and she too would have had an excellent shot at a career win (and she would have been a deserving winner on the merit of her performance, in the bargain.) And Julie Harris is yet another excellent suggestion as a replacement nominee, Halo Insider… She had been Oscar-nominated only three years earlier, and in the same year as the much-vaunted “East of Eden,” she reprised her Tony-winning performance on film in “I Am a Camera.” It is too bad that the work she did in 1955 failed to get her back to the Academy ballot (or thereafter, for that matter).

Of the actual nominees, Pavan is the one I can delete with the least pain. I actually find Lee to be an under-appreciated gem in a very tawdry film, and one could definitely see her having a more varied and colorful film output than the one that panned out for her. Blair is marvelous while nevertheless toeing an admittedly uneasy line of category fraud. Wood is trying hard throughout “Rebel,” and for the most part, she hits notes of real poignancy among some decidedly workshoppy lunges at “acting.” Van Fleet is in a strange No Man’s Land of consideration for me. She doesn’t really get anything wrong, but she doesn’t really ring the bells that peal “Oscar! Oscar!” either.

Depending on my mood that day, I oscillate between Blair and Lee, who also represent one of the oldest Oscar conundrums for me: do you reward the person who gets 100% of a fairly straightforward character (Blair), or the person who gets 80% of a more complex soul (Lee)? It may be post-Labor Day ennui talking, but today, I’m feeling Lee more.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, my, I’d completely forgotten Gish and I have no idea why. She or Harris would’ve made fantastic winners, so they’d probably be my top 2.

As it stands, I think I’m going with Blair. Happy for Jo Van Fleet, but tonorlo sums her performance up for me.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.