Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actress 1974

Best Supporting Actress 1974

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Bergman became only the 3rd actor to ever win 3 Oscars with this. Was it deserved, or did someone else deserve it? 

Words Count
    Topics:

Bergman is only the 3rd actor to win 3 Oscars after Brennan and Hepburn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Ingrid was right this should have gone to Valentina Cortese. Her performance is an acting masterclass.

I’d be tempted to place Bergman last. God knows what the cademy were thinking awarding her for this paltry performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen all 5 (Only Bergman and Kahn) so i won’t try to compare any of them but when I saw Orient Express I thought Bergman was perfectly fine but I didn’t think that she really did anything remotely oscar worthy in that movie, so the others would have had to be pretty bad to not be more deserving

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The wonderful Bergman “apologized” on stage when she won and accepted this Oscar. She seemed sincere about it, and didnt feel herself that she ‘deserved’ the win.
    I voted for Madeline Kahn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Bergman is only the 3rd actor to win 3 Oscars after Brennan and Hepburn.

D’oh! *snaps fingers*

That’s what I get for typing without thinking.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

Ingrid was right this should have gone to Valentina Cortese. Her performance is an acting masterclass.

I’d be tempted to place Bergman last. God knows what the Academy were thinking awarding her for this paltry performance.

I think Day-Lewis is the only performance based three-time champ. Everyone else, it was simply about them. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d give Meryl all 3 of her wins,

I also think Hepburn deserved 4 but for different performances (Her 2nd was clearly dodgy).

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

1974, Diane Keaton shouldve been nominated in supporting
    for The Godfather II..She, IMO, gave the best supporting actress
    performance of that year..
    My 5 that year were..
    Keaton
    Kahn
    Cortese
    Ladd
    Bea Arthur for Mame..

I think the fact that Bergman was singled out from a huge
    cast of oscar winners in Murder on the Orient Express seemed
    sketchy to me..and seemed like the academy was still making it
    up to her from their abandonment in the early 50’s ..I felt her
    Anastasia oscar in 1956 was a make up and also undeserved.
    IMO, Miss Bergman should only have 1 oscar for Gaslight..

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the nominees

1. Kahn
    2. Cortese
    3. Bergman
    4. Ladd
    5. Shire

I would keep the top 2 ladies, but change Kahn to YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and she’s still #1 spot.  Then add Cloris Leachman at #2 for same film.  3. Cortese, 4. Diane Keaton in THE GODFATHER, PART II and 5. Beatrice Arthur in MAME (the only good thing about that film!).

I thought Bergman was very good, still would not have nominated her.  Ladd, I just don’t like her in anything but I absolutely love ALICE DOESN’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE.  Polly Holliday wipes the floor with Ladd in the TV series ALICE.  Shire was a wasted nomination IMO. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

Diane Keaton is the worst thing about The Godfather movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I love all of the mentions of Bea Arthur in MAME. While she was never a life-force in films like she was on TV and in the Theatre, she gave two very strong performances in Lovers and Other Strangers and in that year’s MAME….a trainwreck of a film, but she shined in the role that won her a Tony.

Madeline Kahn was a hoot in Blazing Saddles but I also agree her nomination should’ve been for YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN….that role was practically nothing but she made it amazing. Cloris Leachman and Teri Garr were also worthy of nominations.

Diane Keaton, while maybe not the strongest aspect of the Godfather movies, was way better than Talia Shire.

Ingrid Bergman is solid in “Orient Express” but it was nothing special and she obviously knew it. Diane Ladd was somewhat forgettable, which is surprising considered how Polly Holliday took off with the character on the TV version.

Valetina Cortese deserved the Oscar easily. Had Kahn been nominated for YF and had Leachman or Garr been among the list, it would’ve been a tough battle.

And to add to the mix, Valerie Perrine for LENNY was someone who got promoted to Lead and might have even WON had she been nominated here.         

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes! Bea Arthur should have been nominated! Had she been nominated I would place her in 3rd place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

I couldn’t agree more that Bea Arthur definitely should’ve been nominated here!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.