Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actress 1988

Best Supporting Actress 1988

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

A highly contested category. Your thoughts?

Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

This was an easy question, but I will analyze them from least deserving to most deserving:

FIFTH PLACE: Frances McDormand
    I love McDormand. She is one of my favorite actresses. However, in Mississippi Burning, she really didn’t do anything Oscar-worthy. She was excellent in Fargo (transcedent, actually) and deserved to win there and with Almost Famous. Not for Missippi Burning however.
    Mississippi Burning actually had a terrific performance by one of the most underrated actors of all time – Willem Dafoe, and he should have been nominated over Alec Guinness. I am very reluctant to say Dafoe should have won because Kevin Kline won that year and that stands out as one of my favorite wins of all time.

FOURTH PLACE: Joan Cusack
    Joan Cusack was the new girl on the comedy block. SNL castmember and put in a hilarious performance in Working Girl. However, it was not an Oscar performance, and the fact that she got a nomination was merely a symbol that at one stage, the Academy was tolerant of comedy. She should have won in this category in 1997 because it was a weak year. One-hit wonder Kim Basinger unfortunately won. Cusack could have beaten old lady Gloria Stuart who didn’t do anything that warrants an Oscar nomination, Minnie Driver who could’ve been the next Kate Winslet if she chose her roles correctly. The only other person who should’ve won this was Julianne Moore, but her time is coming soon and she’s not a supporting actress. Cusack is – she’s absolutely brilliant but her talent is her killer supporting work.

THIRD PLACE: Geena Davis
    The IT Girl of the 80s and eventual winner gave a solid, but not great, performance. She has faded from leading lady to supporting actress, and its sad because she was one of the faces of 1980s cinema. Her performance in Thelma and Louise was light years better, and quite frankly she was good her, but not Oscar good.

SECOND PLACE: Michelle Pfeiffer
    Brilliant actress who never reached there if there is the place where her more successful contemporaries got to. She is recognizable by her ravishing beauty, but also by her supreme talent. I was tempted to put her as my pick, but I chose not to as her best work in my opinion comes a bit later in her life. But she would have been a deserving winner.

FIRST PLACE: Sigourney Weaver
    I have no doubt that when the Great American Baby Boomer Actresses (Lange, Streep, Bates, Sarandon and Weaver) meet for tea, they all look twice at Sigourney Weaver with slight disdain because unlike the rest of them, among her plentiful of awards one cannot find an Academy Award. It is a damn shame as Weaver is one of the truly great American actresses of all time. Her height and powerful appearance give her the ability to portray anyone from alien hunters to a scientist to a corporate woman. Many will say her performance in “Gorillas in the Mist” was her winning performance, I say its Working Girl. She should have won over the rest. When you look at it, Weaver is the most successful out of all of them. I would give her an Academy Award very soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

I believe there is already a thread for this race?

Close between Pfieffer and Weaver. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Weaver, by a hair. It’s shameful that Sigourney doesn’t have an Oscar with so much Oscar-winnings performances in her body of work.

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

Pfieffer for Supp, Close for Actress.  

Weaver should have won for Aliens, no debate.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Although she is amazing actress in films such as Aliens and Working Girl, I feel that the only way she can win an Academy Award now is if she takes a  Sandra Bullock-esque role in a film like The Blind Side.

Maybe Avatar 2 is better than the original. Maybe it will have a proper storyline, and Weaver could win Best Supporting Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I would give Sigourney the Oscar in ’86, but I will spread the wealth a little and give some love to Michelle Pfieffer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Weaver has like zero chance for another Oscar nomination if she’ll have more trash movies like she made in the last 12 years. 

Sure it’s hard for an older actress to find a good role, but is it that hard? So many unknown actress did it. Weaver should really wait for a good role because I’m tired of her. She used to be a great actress but all I can seen her in the future is a Worst Supporting Actress award, nothing else. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Sigourney Weaver, Working Girl

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Pfeiffer, Dangerous Liasions. Her performance is so understated and great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Weaver was amazing in Imaginary Heroes, Snow Cake and Prayers for Bobby. She deserved like 7 academy award nominations

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Weaver
    2. Cusack
    3. McDormand
    4. Pfeiffer
    5. Davis

WORKING GIRL ladies are tops – no doubt. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 1988

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.