Very blah year in this category imo. What do you think of Ruehl’s win? Seemed really strange since it is a performance voters don’t normally reward, and Ruehl isn’t that well known.
Very uninteresting year.
I’m in the camp that feels that Tandy’s win for Daisy was a career achievement win, and that Oscar should have gone to Michelle Pfieffer. If the voters had done just that and still wanted to give Tandy an Oscar, this is a great opportunity.
But since of course that scenario did not happen, Ruehl is a fine winner.
Jessica Tandy. This should have been her 2nd oscar.
Not a great year…
1. Nelligan – a tad over the top, but still very interesting.
2. Tandy – Cute performance.
3. Ruehl – 3rd place by default.
4. Lewis – Was impressed when I first saw it, then I saw her in an interview and thought…she did nothing in the movie apart from herself.
5. Ladd – Something about Diane makes me crazy…really can’t take watching her in just about anything…including Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore which is a major fav film of mine.
Definitely not a great category but Mercedes Ruehl has always been underrated and I love that she has an Oscar, so she gets my vote.
I also do like Kate Nelligan (and yes, she was over the top at times but I think it worked to an extent) and Jessica Tandy.
Juliette Lewis did indeed pretty much play herself, and then Diane Ladd just gives off this pompous air that I can’t get past.