Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actress: 1992

Best Supporting Actress: 1992

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • awardskel
    Topics:

Thoughts on who should have won?

allabout oscars
    Topics:

I thought at the time, Vanessa and Judy were easily the best and either
    shouldve won… I still do..
    but Marisa wasn’t all that bad….I still feel that something was fishy
    with her win…

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

By far Judy Davis gets my vote.  However it’s nots so bad about Tomei’s victory, she was a knock out in MY COUSIN VINNY.  Redgrave was tremendous as always.  Plowright was very good, but if she had to have one nomination in her career I wish it would have been for I LOVE YOU TO DEATH 2 years earlier.  Richardson, I thought was better in THE CRYING GAME in 1992.  I usually find her way over the top and DAMAGE fits that description for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd75
    Topics:

I loved Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny. She was hilarious, and strong, and heartbreaking in a scene or 2. She brought Mona Lisa Vito to live and stole the movie. True, the movie itself wasn’t great, but that performance staying just this side of over the top was awesome.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

This was actually really hard.

Marisa Tomei’s Oscar is legendary and still has detractors but I don’t begrudge her the win. She was definitely the heart and soul of that movie, which the movie was good and definitely a lot of fun but definitely not a masterpiece, and I can’t think of many other Supporting Actress winners recently who have had their performance quoted this much. I think she should have won for In the Bedroom and/or The Wrestler but I definitely think her win here was still deserving.

Joan Plowright is one of my favorites but JayDF was right in that she was snubbed two years earlier for I LOVE YOU TO DEATH.

Miranda Richardson is definitely a mannered actress but I love her dearly. She is definitely more remembered for The Crying Game these days instead of DAMAGE, but I still think that she was great in all three of her films that year, along with Enchanted April. Personally, had she won, I wouldn’t have cared though I would give her my vote in 1994.

Vanessa Redgrave is able to do so much with so little (Julia, Atonement, and then we have her work here in HOWARDS END, which is very good in her brief screentime.

Despite all of this, I think now I would vote for Judy Davis…that year’s critical darling and she continues the trend of Woody Allen writing killer Supporting female roles. She was easily the best thing about that movie, which isn’t one of my favorites by Allen, but she steals the show hook, line, and sinker. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Marisa Tomei hands down.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

All of them are fabulous imo. So difficult, but I’d go with Judy Davis. She’s one of a kind.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Judy Davis for god’s sakes!! Richardson is a close second. The others three don’t come any close.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Pet peeve:

Why is it that on one hand GoldDerby posters write about how unfair the Academy is to fail to honor comedic work with the same vigor as dramatic performances and then bitterly complain about the few comedic victories (i.e. Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny or Judy Holiday in Born Yesterday) in Oscar history?

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I dunno OnTheAisle. Because, we’re a bunch of freaking idiots? Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I dunno OnTheAisle. Because, we’re a bunch of freaking idiots? Lol.

Yet another pet peeve: Why does BabyPook irritate me with a slam to Sally Field’s mental acumen on one forum and then have me chuckling on another? There is a reason BP is one of the few I have friended here .

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

OnTheAisle; the day that I said I think Sally is an “idiot”, it was boring around here and I wanted to stir things up and spark outrage and conversation. I was thinking of slamming Obama as well, just to stir things up.

Since that time, I have regretted it; although I may do it again. I’ve done it before and made statements I dont mean (about actors). Sally Field has been entertaining me for decades. I have literally seen all of her film work, as well as Sybil, where she is incredibly good. I expect her to be good in Lincoln. Seeing her receive a nomination assuming she’s worthy, would make me happy. Although, I think the odds are against her for a win.

There. My confession.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

^Thats brilliant!

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Pet peeve:
    Why is it that on one hand GoldDerby posters write about how unfair the Academy is to fail to honor comedic work with the same vigor as dramatic performances and then bitterly complain about the few comedic victories (i.e. Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny or Judy Holiday in Born Yesterday) in Oscar history?

Because they won against such strong opposition.

I love the fact that both Marisa and Judy won for comedy roles but when they are up against the likes of Judy/Bette/Gloria at their very best the wins don’t seem so deserved, comedy or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Judy, Joan and Vanessa, but I voted for Miranda, who has that harrowing scene toward the end of the movie.

Not a fan of MCV, which mistakes stereotypes for wit. Any of the other nominees should have taken that Oscar home.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress: 1992

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.