Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 1997

Best Supporting Actress 1997

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Forgive me if this race has been discussed a lot on here in the past, but Alcritz’s post on Boggie Nights got me thinking about this race again. 

1. Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights: Moore is truly fantastic doing wonders with a cliched role. I frankly felt she aced it, but it could have been better if we had seen more of her. Never the less, she hits a high note wonderfully. 

2.  Joan Cusack in In And Out: A terrific, hiliarious performance that is truly perfect. She would have been deserving as well.

3. Gloria Stuart in Titantic: It’s a wonderul, and very controlled performance that works very well. Maybe not a win, but she’s quite good in the role.

4. Minnie Driver in Good Will Hunting:  Good Will Hunting is a movie I erased from my memory and Driver along with it. She is mediocre and uncredible in the role and does nothing special with it.

5. Kim Basinger in La Confidential:  They’re  really on the same level, but Driver at least was a little more inspired. Basinger has no presense at all and gives a bland, monotone performance. It really could have been played in wonderfully layered and nuanced ways, but Basinger misses them all.  There are hints in some moments, but it’ one of the worst winners in any category.  

What are your thoughts?  

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol Joe Burns. Somehow I knew you’d start this thread, after all the Boogie Nights talk.

Kim Basinger is one of the most ‘shat upon’ around here for her Supporting win. I have to say, I really like her perf, her presence and her characterization. She  is so sublime, sultry without being ridiculous; it’s easy to see why Crowe and Pearce nearly killed each other. Btw, this is my favorite perf from Mr Crowe. He’s amazing here.

All of these actors had their moments and I’m happy they were nominated, but my choice remains Basinger.

My personal choice? Sarah Polley in Atom Egoyan’s The Sweet Hereafter.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Pook- I AM WATCHING Sweet Hearafter right now! Yes you are spot on!

I also want to give homage to the actress who played the school bus driver (don’t remember her name)- but she deserved a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her performance. So glad the movie was remembered in Directing and Screenplay- it’s a fantastic film. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

This shold have been Moore’s in a landslide but I was still really happy to Basinger win.

She doesn’t do much in ‘L.A. Confidential’ but was lovely to see her awarded as she’s a very underated actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

From the nominees I’d have gone with Julianne Moore quite easily. But my personal winner is divine Sigourney Weaver in “The Ice Storm”.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone but Basinger would have been a better winner..

My personal 5 of 1997 were

MOORE- BOOGIE NIGHTS
    CUSACK- IN AND OUT
    WEAVER- THE ICE STORM
    DRIVER- GOOD WILL HUNTING
    ALLEN- THE ICE STORM

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

I would have voted for Cusack.  

Basinger’s performance is perhaps the biggest “do nothing” performance ever to win an Oscar.   Not that she was bad, she just did nothing even remotely award-worthy in the film.  At all.  By any stretch of the imagination.   It is truly a performance that any number of actresses could have given.   I can imagine showing her performance to a bunch of young acting students as an example of an “Oscar winning performance” and have them thinking “That is all I have to do to win an Oscar?? Why the hell am I paying for acting classes?”

There was no way anything was beating Titantic for Best Picture, so I always felt Basinger’s win was one for the film itself rather than the actual performance.

I would have easily nominated Joan Allen or Sigourner Weaver in place of Basinger. 

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, Basinger was remarkably subtle and effective. She was the beating human heart of that movie; it would have been a completely cold and offputting experience without her. With her, it was a terrifically effective noir mystery. I love the scene on her front porch in the rain when Crowe nearly strikes her. I thought she was wonderful in that scene.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Like I said in the Boogie Nights thread, I would have picked Moore. Definitely the best performance (from what I’ve seen, which is all except Cusack).

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

I don’t think the role required anything more from Basinger than what she did, and that was fine but hardly deserving of the win, especially at the expense of Julianne Moore.

Actresses portraying femme fatales in noirs and neo-noirs like LA Confidential can very easily fall into the trap of monotone, borderline plastic characterization. I know it’s an unfair comparison but look at one of the ultimate femme fatale performances in Faye Dunaway’s Mrs. Mulwray in Chinaton, and you’ll see the potential for nuances and their exploration for such tricky, would-be vapid roles.

I do think Basinger’s win is one of the weakest EVER in supporting actress but I can’t begrudge it because I love that movie, genre and stock-character so much.

ReplyCopy URL
    vozas
    Topics:

It was a weak category. I love Joan Cusack and she’s a hoot in In & Out but the Stuart and Driver are fucking DULL in those roles. I remember nothing about those performances except for “it’s been 84 years…” which does for great gif-work.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, Basinger was remarkably subtle and effective. She was the beating human heart of that movie; it would have been a completely cold and offputting experience without her. With her, it was a terrifically effective noir mystery. I love the scene on her front porch in the rain when Crowe nearly strikes her. I thought she was wonderful in that scene.

Nice to know there are others who appreciate her perf. Shocking. Lol. I think my favorite scene with Basinger is when, she tells “Edmund Exley” exactly how it is, and why “Bud White” is a better man.

O btw, he did strike her. Twice I think.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Pook- I AM WATCHING Sweet Hearafter right now! Yes you are spot on!

I also want to give homage to the actress who played the school bus driver (don’t remember her name)- but she deserved a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her performance. So glad the movie was remembered in Directing and Screenplay- it’s a fantastic film. 

Sure glad you liked The Sweet Hereafter. Ian Holm, is also terrific. The bus driver’s name is Delores Driscoll, played by Gabrielle Rose, She’s a wonderful character actor and works a lot in film and television. She has a small part in Jennifer’s Body and might be the best part of it. Lol. She’s Canadian as well, much like the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This should have been Julianne Moore’s (first) Oscar win through and through.

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

My ranking:
    1. Kim Basinger
    2. Joan Cusack
    3. Julianne Moore
    4. Minnie Driver
    5. Gloria Stewart

Without Basinger’s performance, L.A. Confidential would’ve been an empty film. She really brought mysteriousness of femme fatale every noir needs. Today, Academy would’ve never give an Oscar to her or Olympia Dukakis for Moonstruck. All academy cares today is big emotions and outbursts. I don’t think she’s the most expressive actress in the world, she’s rather limited, but her style works perfectly here.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 1997

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.