Best Supporting Actress 2000

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Supporting Actress 2000

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the famous year that Marcia Gay Harden came in from a small independent movie with almost no precursor attention and ended up winning. I added a poll because I know people like it but what I really want to know is who was the frontrunner? Or was there even one? Kate Hudson won the Golden Globe, Judi Dench won the SAG, Frances McDormand won the Critics Choice, and Julie Walters won the BAFTA, so awards love was pretty evenly split.

I’ve always thought Hudson was the frontrunner. She was the young breakout star, daughter of an oscar winner, McDormand and Dench both already had Oscars, and the Globe is a pretty significant precursor in addition to all the critics awards she won. But this is all based on guesses because it doesn’t seem like there was one clear frontrunner that Harden took out, so does anyone happen to know who it was? But people are also welcome to talk about the performances Harden was great!

Grandma Juliette Id love to hear what you have to say about it seeing as I know this was the last oscar ceremony you covered.

Anonymous
    Topics:

I responded to you in the Best Actor thread, so I’ll copy and paste what I wrote there.

Kate Hudson was the frontrunner, but she was the weakest that frontrunners come.

Harden’s win is less surprising in hindsight. She was/is a respected actress, a force to be reckoned with from Broadway, who was playing a real-life character, a borderline lead character, a suffering family member in the category that loves the suffering family members. It was also the only film of the bunch that really overperformed on nomination morning, especially with the actors’ branch. She also won the New York Film Critics award, which was a much more important precursor before SAG came along. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I choose Harden barely over McDormand.  Hudson is 3rd & Walters 4th.  I love Dench madly, but her Chocolat performance was kinda hammy, not that hammy is always bad.  Dench being hammy doesn’t work for me is all, she’s 5th.

Grandma Juliette – Your wording is throwing me off a little when you say NYFC awards being a more important precursor before SAG came along, since we are talking about a race in 2000, 6 years into SAG awards history. 

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

Gay Harden barely over Hudson. My ranking:
    1. Gay Harden
    2. Hudson
    3. McDormand
    4. Dench
    5. Walters

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I responded to you in the Best Actor thread, so I’ll copy and paste what I wrote there.

Kate Hudson was the frontrunner, but she was the weakest that frontrunners come.

Harden’s win is less surprising in hindsight. She was/is a respected actress, a force to be reckoned with from Broadway, who was playing a real-life character, a borderline lead character, a suffering family member in the category that loves the suffering family members. It was also the only film of the bunch that really overperformed on nomination morning, especially with the actors’ branch. She also won the New York Film Critics award, which was a much more important precursor before SAG came along. 

You’re right you did! I checked the thread maybe five minutes before and figured making a new one would get more answers, I couldve just waited! haha well thanks for your insight!

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on the quality of performance, I think Gay Harden was way ahead of everyone else. It’s one of the smartest, coolest decisions the Academy has made IMO. Hudson was really good and refreshing in her own way. And I have heard from others that she was the front runner that year. And Walters was excellent as well.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have even nominated the other two, esp. Dench. (Yeah, I’m not much of a fan of Chocolat). I think Jennifer Connelly should have gotten in in Dench’s place. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Should have been Catherine Devenue for Dancer in the Dark

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

It is true that this win seems obvious in hindight, but it was definitely one that was surprising at the time.

Judi Dench didn’t impress me in Chocolat and Kate Hudson gave a solid but not great performance.

Frances McDormand had less buzz than her co-star but she was honestly better.

Julie Walters was my second choice and she was wonderful.

But yes, Marcia Gay Harden was sensational in Pollock….and it remains one of the best wins the Academy ever selected. It is amazing that she flew so far under the radar prior to the Oscars (sans the NY win). 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I was rooting for Catherine Zeta-Jones but since she wasn’t nominated I thought it would be Dench.

ReplyCopy URL
    elyja
    Topics:

1. MARCIA GAY HARDEN
    2. WALTERS
    3. HUDSON
    4. MCDORMAND
    5. DENCH

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve always thought that Kate Hudson was the politically corect, Hollywood-sque choice but there was a huge problem there and the reason she didn’t win was Frances McDormand who delivered a really lovable performance in Almost Famous. She was the character that made me laugh the most and really had me falling in love with her. (McDormand had a showstealing performance and in terms of precursors she had most of the critics – with LAFCA being one of her major wins. Not to mention that she had another high profile film – Wonder Boys and this is her first film since her Oscar-winning performance in Fargo, so she hasn’t been on the screen for four years.) Dench did so little in Chocolat and the only reason she won the SAG Award was because she didn’t have one by then. And they wouldn’t give her another Oscar so soon. And there was Marcia Gay Harden, who must have felt so outside of the politics of the Oscars and she was a tempting choice. Not to mention that she was a little seen film, directed by an actor. And she was in nearly every scene – in what is a leading performance. Based on the quality of the performance, she should have won and she won. But this was a huge category fraud. And by the way, Harden remains the only actor since 1994 to win the Oscar without being nominated by the HFPA and the Screen Actors Guild. Waltz won without the SAG, but he still had the Globe. And I read somewhere that in early December 2000 Harden was campaigned lead. So did the HFPA qualify her in lead actress in a drama?

1. Harden
    2. McDormand
    3. Hudson
    4. Walters
    5. Dench

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2000

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.