Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actress 2007

Best Supporting Actress 2007

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Servo91
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the most wide open races in recent memory.  Personally, I thought Amy Ryan had the best performance from the group.  Who is your choice?

Renaton
    Topics:

Swinton’s performance has taken some flack because of the strong category and losing every precursor except BAFTA. But she’s the best in this line-up for me. Karen Crowder was a very interesting character, and Tilda elevated her even if the material never fully explored her. It’s a true supporting performance, and a great one at that.

Ronan is my second favorite, even thoguh I don’t care for the film. But she has a very distinct body language, in the way she walks around the house, and the way she delivers every word, as if her character is always making sure to have impeccable speech… very strong performance.

I quite liked Ryan, but I did find the tone of the film uneven, and I think it makes me see the strings conducting the performance in moments, and that kind of turned me off. The moments you can really feel her performance are very strong though.

I usually like Blanchett, but I find this performance overrated even if very brave and ambitious. I don’t think she disappears into the role at any moment, and I don’t think it has much range. It’s interesting to see Blanchett playing a man, and she makes for a captivating presence, but she is not much of a character. 

Ruby Dee has a good (not great) scene, but I would rank her last.

1. Swinton
    2. Ronan
    3. Ryan
    4. Blanchett
    5. Dee

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Ruby Dee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

I’ve always been torn between Ryan and Swinton. Voted for Ryan, but only because Swinton is also my personal winner for Best Actress for We Need to Ralk about Kevin.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a great lineup. Blanchett was excellent but I had a feeling she wasn’t going to win. Ruby Dee was my choice to win but Swinton wasn’t too far behind. Ronan was great but Ryan should have been replaced by Julia Roberts for “Charlie Wilson’s War” or Kelly MacDonald for “No Country For Old Men”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Ryan and Tilda Swinton are the best in this category and both play fairly despicible people. First you have Amy Ryan, who plays a selfish, drug-addicted neglective mother and then Tilda Swinton, another villain but one that I pitied and felt just got too corrupted and couldn’t find her way back to the light. I will come back to these two in a moment.

Saoirse Ronan was very good in Atonement and I agree that her character work with the tight impeccable diction and the walking was all very captivating. I also want to give a shout out to the other Briony actress: Romola Garai was wonderful but I think she suffered from the fact that her portion of the movie was probably the slowest and most forgettable despite her presence. Then you have Vanessa Redgrave coming in at the last few minutes to give what was practically one long monologue and she nailed it….it was subtle, but effective.

Cate Blanchett is a superb actress and she honestly would have three Oscars in my book: Elizabeth, Notes on a Scandal, and an upcoming one for Blue Jasmine (though I would admit that in my personal Oscars, she’d only have two because I’d bump her up to lead for NOTES but that’s another topic). I still think her two nominations for 2007 weren’t deserved. She was too over-the-top in Elizabeth and I didn’t find her convincing or that great as Bob Dylan.

Ruby Dee is another great actress, but sadly her only Oscar nomination comes from a brief performance in a mixed film in which she has only one decent moment that was semi-improvised (The Slap). I breathed a sigh of relief that she didn’t win for this performance, as much as I normally love her work.

I honestly think Jennifer Garner should’ve been here for JUNO and despite my disdain for No Country for Old Men, Kelly MacDonald was another possibility.

Back to Ryan and Swinton, my personal vote goes to Swinton for a variety of reasons: she is in the better film, I found it to be a more complex performance with a lot of personal touches, and she was also more overdue for recognition after being snubbed for The Deep End and having overlooked performances in movies like Orlando.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Ryan
    2. Swinton
    3. Ronan
    4. Dee
    5. Blanchett

Easy choice for me with Ryan.  Had Kelly MacDonald been nommed for NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, she would have gotten my vote.  I think Blanchett is a fabulous actress…sadly she have never been my top spot for any of her noms.  BC I still haven’t seen La Streep’s nominated performance this year, I have not decided 2013 yet.  So far Blanchett is going to head to head with Dench and I think Dench will pull through.  Might have to watch them again. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2007

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.