Home Forums Polls! Best Supporting Actress 2011

Best Supporting Actress 2011

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Actriz
FilmGuy619
Beau S.
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

My Rankings

1. Janet McTeer
    2. Jessica Chastain
    3. Berenice Bejo (she was lead imo)
    4. Octavia Spencer
    5. Melissa McCarthy  

Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Janet McTeer – a captivating performance from a reliable character actress that rivaled Close’s work

2. Jessica Chastain – gave heart to a film that I found incredibly cynical and hateful

3. Octavia Spencer – brought great humor to a film that I found incredibly cynical and hateful

4. Berenice Bejo – she accomplished a lot saying absolutely nothing and proved to be an unforgettable screen presense, too bad its a leading role

5. Melissa McCarthy – nonsense nomination, a horrid insult to acting and other actors. This performance earning a nomination removed a massive amount of credibility from the Academy Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

5. Melissa McCarthy – nonsense nomination, a horrid insult to acting and other actors. This performance earning a nomination removed a massive amount of credibility from the Academy Awards

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kFjrBrNAjyg/Uw9ZMbKFIjI/AAAAAAAC9_M/YEN5u4dk3wo/s1600/standing+ovation2.gif[/img]

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

McCarthy’s nomination, in my opinion, was a joke. It was entertaining but it no way at all was it a great performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    rrekydoc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not big on “The Tree of Life”, but if Chastain’s nomination was for that film, she would’ve had my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Nope. McCarthy was entirely worthy. Rather blah bunch of nominees in general.  

1. Spencer
    2. McCarthy
    3. McTeer
    4. Bejo
    5. Chastian 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I have to say that while I find McCarthy quite the hilarious actress, I also didn’t see anything in that performance that deserved Oscar attention. Was she funny? Yes. Was she entertaining? Yes. Nevertheless, I didn’t see the reason to reward her with a nomination….despite that, there have been worse nominations to have happened here.

Octavia Spencer was good in The Help but I was actually surprised at how much I wasn’t blown away by her considering she was winning EVERYTHING. Jessica Chastain, however, took a role that really didn’t have much and I looked forward to whenever she was onscreen. Of course, it does help that she is a source of light in a film that is, as Actriz pointed out, cynical and hateful.

Janet McTeer was her usual strong self in Albert Nobbs. It was nice to see her back in the Oscar race.

Berenice Bejo was borderline at best, but I would lean more towards putting her in Lead. This was definitely her best chance at a nomination, but nevertheless, she was only nomination worthy anyway.

#1-Jessica Chastain (I debate between her and McTeer, especially since I strongly consider giving Chastain the win for Zero Dark Thirty, but in this year, she was also great in her several other films. What a debut year!)

#2-Janet McTeer

#3-Berenice Bejo

#4-Octavia Spencer

#5-Melissa McCarthy

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this is a great lineup…had Viola Davis been nominated instead Bejo, it would have been better and made my selection a four way race.  I thought Spencer was great, but as the nominations stand I rank her fourth and could easily go with any of my top 3 choices.  I choose McCarthy, bc she gave a great comic performance…true investment in her character.  Was it low brow comedy for the most part?  Yes…but she not only did her job but did it perfectly.  I totally disagree with just about every assesment above.  She was marvelous.  

1. McCarthy
    2. Chastain
    3. McTeer
    4. Spencer

5. Bejo 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Chastain easily.

Pretty bad year overall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Chastain.

In all honestly, Bryce Dallas Howard should have been nominated over Spencer. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Galang
    Participant
    Topics:

What a poor line up

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Octavia deserved it with McCarthy a close second. Bejo was a lead but it still was great. Chastain was great too. McTeer was great but two signficant performances were left out that were better than her and they were Bryce Dallas Howard in The Help and Shailene Woodly in The Descendants 

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

My vote goes to Jessica Chastain. Not just because of her performance, but because of the banner year she had. Bejo was my next choice, even though it was a bit more of a lead performance. Octavia Spencer was adequate, but I don’t know if I would say it is an Oscar-winning performance. McCarthy’s nomination is a breath of fresh air since it is a comedic role, which is recognized once in a blue moon. Haven’t seen McTeer though. If there was anyone that really got left out in this category, it was both Carey Mulligan for Shame and Shailene Woodley for The Descendants (my personal pick). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zayner
    Participant
    Topics:

Melissa McCarthy’s performance was funny but did not deserve an Oscar nomination. I thought Shailene was amazing in “The Descendants” and was unrightfully snubbed. Having not seen Janet McTeer in “Albert Nobbs,” I would say Octavia Spencer had the best performance. She was the perfect ‘Minny Jackson’ and was absolutely hysterical! Jessica Chastain is a close second and if she had more screen time, she might have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Octavia Spencer. Following a few subsequent viewings she has gotten better and better. Imo the academy chose well.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2011

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.