Favourite Grammy winner of Record of the Year (2003-2012)

Home // Forums // Polls! // Favourite Grammy winner of Record of the Year (2003-2012)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

What is your favourite song that won the Grammy for Record of the Year in the last 10 ceremonies?

LexMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Rolling in the Deep. Period.

ReplyCopy URL
    RadioGAGAhead
    Participant
    Topics:

Rehab. Rolling in the Deep would be my second choice. 

ReplyCopy URL
    LexMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Rehab is my second choice, both of them are sensational songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Amy Winehouse, “Rehab”

ReplyCopy URL
    Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

Adele, then Winehouse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

Adele by a mile. Than Amy Winehouse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Clocks!

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Rolling in the Deep…Rehab a close 2nd.  Not Ready To Make Nice & Somebody That I Use to Know were good as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

There are some really great choices here.  Much better category in my opinion than Album of the Year, reflecting changes to the music industry.  To think that Fearless is in a category with previous winners Rumours and The Joshua Tree and Sgt. Pepper (shudders).

I was very happy Gotye won this year, far and away the record of the year…his song should’ve been nominated and won Song of the Year as well.  Of course, Adele, Coldplay, Amy Winehouse…awesome.  I enjoy Need You Now too, though I wish Bad Romance had been nominated in 2010.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

There are some really great choices here.  Much better category in my opinion than Album of the Year, reflecting changes to the music industry.  To think that Fearless is in a category with previous winners Rumours and The Joshua Tree and Sgt. Pepper (shudders).

I was very happy Gotye won this year, far and away the record of the year…his song should’ve been nominated and won Song of the Year as well.  Of course, Adele, Coldplay, Amy Winehouse…awesome.  I enjoy Need You Now too, though I wish Bad Romance had been nominated in 2010.

Fearless was a terrible Album of the Year winner because it won in a terrible year for music. There were a lot of ultimately disappointing albums (i.e. didn’t live up to their previous works) from high-profile artists (Kanye West’s 808s & Heartbreaks, Eminem’s Relapse, U2’s No Line on the Horizon, Green Day’s 21st Century Breakdown, Whitney Houston’s I Look to You, etc.), big-selling albums that would have been even worse nominees (Nickelback’s Dark Horse; Hannah Montana; High School Musical 3), and no clear winner in the list of nominees that year. But, believe it or not, Taylor Swift actually had the highest Metacritic score (73) of all the Album of the Year nominees (Beyoncé’s I Am…Sasha Fierce had 62, Lady Gaga’s The Fame scored 71, The Black Eyed Peas’ The E.N.D. scored 60, and the Dave Matthews Band’s Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King scored 67), and Swift’s album was also the best-selling album of the eligibility period (it had sold 4.5 million copies by the time nominations were announced, almost doubling 2nd-place finisher Beyoncé’s 2.5 million). So when all is said and done, the Grammys probably made the best choice, based on the terrible lineup of nominees they had to choose from. Still, I think the Grammys should have dug a little deeper and forgotten about what were necessarily the best-selling albums, and nominate well-reviewed (and eventual Grammy-winning) albums like Phoenix’s Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (Alternative Album winner, 82 on Metacritic) and Maxwell’s BLACKsummers’night (R&B Album winner, 85 on Metacritic) in favor of Beyonce, BEP or Dave Matthews.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

These are great points.  Based on your analysis, it makes it pretty clear that Fearless was likely the frontrunner going in, so the result was probably not much of a surprise.  But yes it joins other weak winners for that category; like Oscar’s Best Picture there are ridiculous choices and there are masterpieces.  Any result as we know is wholly dependent on what is nominated.  For example, I think had Somebody that I Used to Know been nominated in Song of the Year it would’ve won there as well.  Maybe the outcome in 2010 could’ve been different had those two albums you mentioned gotten in, but maybe not.  What’s interesting about this category is that in some years the Grammys have nominated and chosen as winners more esoteric albums…in the last few years though those kind of works that had some buzz didn’t get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Adele was my choice, but Amy was a very close 2nd.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

These are great points.  Based on your analysis, it makes it pretty clear that Fearless was likely the frontrunner going in, so the result was probably not much of a surprise.  But yes it joins other weak winners for that category; like Oscar’s Best Picture there are ridiculous choices and there are masterpieces.  Any result as we know is wholly dependent on what is nominated.  For example, I think had Somebody that I Used to Know been nominated in Song of the Year it would’ve won there as well.  Maybe the outcome in 2010 could’ve been different had those two albums you mentioned gotten in, but maybe not.  What’s interesting about this category is that in some years the Grammys have nominated and chosen as winners more esoteric albums…in the last few years though those kind of works that had some buzz didn’t get in.

Looking back, it makes sense that Swift won, but I don’t think she was really the clear frontrunner to win at the time. I think Beyoncé actually might have been viewed as having better chances, since she had the most nominations (10) of the year.

Also, even though I think Phoenix and Maxwell would have been more logical options over the Black Eyed Peas and the Dave Matthews Band, I don’t think either of them would have won, and that we would have likely ended up with the same outcome. Sales usually trump reviews. Look at Babel by Mumford & Sons. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Taylor was always the frontrunner, at least here in Goldderby forums. Gaga and BEP weren’t going to win, and even though Beyonce had the most nominations, hers wasn’t the kind of album that wins the main category. Swift was the “safer” choice that was also a huge comercial success and had critics behind her. As I remember, she was the favorite.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Favourite Grammy winner of Record of the Year (2003-2012)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.