Home Forums Polls! How Would You Rank JESSICA LANGE’s performance in KING KONG (1976)?

How Would You Rank JESSICA LANGE’s performance in KING KONG (1976)?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Personally, I think she gave a spectacular performance, especially when compared and contrasted to the rest of her work.  Many people confused the Marilyn Monroe-esque personality she created, and which she would later draw from ever-so-subtly for TOOTSIE, with her own personality, assuming that all she could do is scream and look pretty.

However, I feel her performance added a gravity to the film which would not have been there were it not for her work and Rick Baker’s (King Kong).  You believe Lange cares for Kong, even in those moments when she’s a fallible human being seeking fame or acting out of fear.  She’s sexy, funny, effervescent, irritating and heartbreaking.  In the end, you cry for Kong, even though the rest of the film points to you laughing at Kong by that point, because she cries for him.

I can watch this film over and over and over and still marvel at her work and at the soulful eyes of Rick Baker. 

Also, I think Peter Jackson drew more from this version for his remake than he did from the original!

Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a sexy performance. Back when she didn’t look like the hunchback of Notre Dame with that face!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

It was a sexy performance. Back when she didn’t look like the hunchback of Notre Dame with that face!

Don’t worry, dear…

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Natla59″]It was a sexy performance. Back when she didn’t look like the hunchback of Notre Dame with that face!

Don’t worry, dear…

[/quote]
    Oh its just we can’t all look good as the Queen Lindsay my darling.

But anyways this is definitely Jessica’s sexiest and most daring performance: 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Awful. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Oh its just we can’t all look good as the Queen Lindsay my darling.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought she was pretty good in a pretty awful piece of junk film.  Pales in comparison to most of her lesser work post 1980’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

Passable. Not glarringly terrible, but far below her means.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This is total straight and gay male junk food.  It is very rare that these two groups meet but this is also very special fodder…

I wish we had more, but this will have to do.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

She’s been nominated for 6 oscars and I
    seriously feel she only deserved 3 of those nominations

so considering the travesty of the entire 1976 King Kong
    film..I would simply say that her performance as DWAN
    was awful…

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Thank God Hollywood and the various Academies disagree.  She should actually have another nom or two.  I would pick from CAPE FEAR, MEN DON’T LEAVE, LOSING ISAIAH, TITUS and PROZAC NATION.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s a great actress. King Kong was ok, but not her best. I said it was serviceable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Titanium
    Participant
    Topics:

Servicable… Only the best actors can still act ok when a film is diabolically bad; Jessica Lange is one, Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro are two others I can think of, some actors who were brilliant in some films fall apart in bad films; Adrien Brody, Halle Berry, amongst others.

By no means was it her best work and it’s definitley a low point in her career both for the quality of the film and her acting, but her acting was still servicable, just an embarassing smudge on her career, you know that one thing which talk show hosts always bring up!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.