Should have been nominated for Best Picture 1994

Home // Forums // Polls! // Should have been nominated for Best Picture 1994

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

1994 was a very strong year in movies, with some of the most popular and acclaimed films competing for Best Picture at the Oscars. But with only five nominees (Forrest Gump, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and The Shawshank Redemption), many great films were left off the ballot.

Which 1994 film do you think should have been nominated for Best Picture?

If your #1 choice isn’t an option, select “other” and indicate which film you think should have been nominated that year.

Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

This might be a stretch, but… Hoop Dreams? I’ve got to admit, I wouldn’t have minded it. The Film Editing nomination was really deserved for making those 3 hours fly by. It’s criminal that the Documentary Branch didn’t give it a chance that year.

Of the nominees, I’d probably go for Ed Wood. It is kind of surprising to see that Bullets Over Broadway didn’t earn a nomination, given its love across the board. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I voted for The Lion King. After breaking box office records as the highest-grossing animated film of all time, it seemed like The Lion King would follow in the footsteps of Beauty and the Beast and become the second animated flick to make the Best Picture lineup. Unfortunately, Beauty and the Beast‘s historic nomination never did pave the way for more animated films to break into the top category (back when there were only 5 nominees).

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert – An unlikely choice for the academy to make for sure, but the filmis so damn good and Terrence Stamp was so robbed of a nomination.

1994 was a great year for film (not including the FORREST GUMP drivel – sorry, but I can’t stand that film.)  THE LION KING isis a close second to Priscilla then quickly followed by BULLETS OVER BROADWAY and ED WOOD.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Of this list, I would definitely nominate Ed Wood. I also love the mention of The Adventures of Priscilla.

I also agree that it was surprising that Bullets over Broadway got snubbed in Best Picture when it got so much love and yet Four Weddings and a Funeral only received two nominations for Picture and Screenplay (but to be honest, I don’t like Bullets but really like Four Weddings).

Red was also a great film as well….and I also concur about Hoop Dreams.     

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have loved to see what the list of Best Picture nominees for 1994 would have been by today’s rules. I imagine Best Director nominees Bullets Over Broadway and Three Colors: Red would have had no problem getting in, along with The Lion King (great animated films can get in easily under the new rules). With only an acting and make-up nominations, Ed Wood may have struggled to get in over something with a screenplay nomination (Heavenly Creatures, The Madness of King George, Nobody’s Fool).  Then again, The Blind Side and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close have snuck in with less. With that Editing nomination, Hoop Dreams very well might have snuck in.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Should have been nominated for Best Picture 1994

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.