Home Forums Polls! What should have won best picture in 1981

What should have won best picture in 1981

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Dan Man
    Participant
    Topics:

Raging Bull should have won because it was an amazing movie. Redford shouldn’t have even accepted the award.

allabout oscars
    Topics:

IMO< the academy got it right with ORDINARY PEOPLE…

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Raging Bull, all the way. Ordinary People was a powerful film, thanks to Redford’s confident direction and Timothy hutton’s soulful performance, but Scorsese’s work was just beautiful.

ReplyCopy URL
    Henry Zambrano
    Topics:

It should’ve gone to Raging Bull.  

2. Ordinary People
    3. Tess
    4. The Elephant Man
    5. Coal Miner’s Daughter 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

My history with Raging Bull has been varied. On one level, I definitely think Martin Scorsese did a truly masterful job with this movie and it had a lot of style, not to mention the trio of DeNiro, Pesci, and Moriarty were a huge plus….however I still have never found the film to be the masterpiece I kept hearing people make it out to be. I think it may be the first film I found and to this day, the prime example of a film I highly respect and admire but don’t personally love.

Ordinary People has probably one of the biggest backlashes against a Best Picture (I think the wins of Shakespeare in Love and Crash saved its reputation) and I went into watching it knowing that. Maybe I went in with low expectations but I am usually a sucker for depressing domestic dramas and what I found was an emotionally powerful film with a fantastic quartet of actors and a strong script with competent solid direction (I do think Scorsese should have won Director….actually I may have even had David Lynch win Director before Redford) and while it may not be the easiest movie to sit through and it does drag at times, it still resonated with me more than a lot of the many Best Picture winners in probably the last 40 years. For me it is an easy choice and I have no shame in it.

Ordinary People.    

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Raging Bull
    2. The Elephant Man

3. Ordinary People
    4. Coal Miner’s Daughter
    5. Tess

all very good… top 2 are favs of mine…

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Raging Bull is a technically better film. Better than most. The sound and sound editing just for starters, the cinematography and editing, the score, and add the performances and that spectacular one from DeNiro, just makes this very near the top of my personal list.

I also loved The Elephant Man and Ordinary People, for different reasons. Coal Miner’s Daughter is iconic now, and Tess, while bogged down a tad by it’s adaptation, is a gorgeous film  with a soulful perf from Kinski and a statement in favour of women.

Raging Bull
    The Elephant Man
    Ordinary People
    Coal Miner’s Daughter
    Tess

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I honestly feel none of those films even compare to “Raging Bull”. And this comes from someone who is a big David Lynch fan. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I really loved The Elephant Man the most. Raging Bull was a close 2nd. Then Coal Miner’s, Ordinary, then (yawn) Tess. The Shinning and Airplane! were snubbed 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.