Home Forums Polls! What would have won Best Animated Feature (1996)?

What would have won Best Animated Feature (1996)?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Daniel B.
KyleBailey
ETPhoneHome
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

The Oscar for Best Animated Feature wasn’t introduced until 2001, when Shrek became the inaugural winner of the category.

Which animated feature released in 1996 do you think would have been most likely to win Best Animated Feature had the category existed back then?

Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

While the best-reviewed film of the bunch was technically Ghost in the Shell, I think that AMPAS tends to pay more attention to the animated films that aren’t geared solely towards adults. With almost as impressive reviews comes James and the Giant Peach, which is what I think would have been the winner. I wouldn’t have been completely surprised to see a The Hunchback of Notre Dame win though, as it had respectable reviews and a much stronger box office performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Do James and Space Jam count though? They have live action sequences too? Even though I love All Dogs Go to Heaven 2, Hunchback would have won 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

According to Oscar rules, only 75% of the film needs to be comprised of animated sequences. I’m not completely certain whether or not Space Jam would have qualified, but I think more than 75% of James and the Giant Peach was animated. Remember: Movies like The Smurfs and The Chipmunks had been deemed eligible by the Academy for Best Animated Feature for a nomination!

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt that Space Jam would have qualified, but James and the Giant peach probably would. I think that Hunchback would have very easily won, simply because of its popularity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

While Space Jam is a wonderful guilty pleasure of mine, I voted for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a great underrated film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Looney Tunes: Back in Action  was eligible for Best Animated Feature back in 2003, but even if Space Jam was eligible, I still don’t think it would have gotten the nomination. It wasn’t very well-received by critics, and I’m sure the animators that were doing the nominating would have a bias against films that rely heavily on live action (they already have a bias against motion-capture films like The Adventures of Tintin and The Polar Express).

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Hunchback, it was hugely succesful and its also quite great.  

ReplyCopy URL
    tjd
    Participant
    Topics:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: What would have won Best Animated Feature (1996)?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.