Home Forums Polls! What would have won Best Animated Feature (1999)?

What would have won Best Animated Feature (1999)?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Daniel B.
KyleBailey
KT
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

The Oscar for Best Animated Feature wasn’t introduced until 2001, when Shrek became the inaugural winner of the category.

Which animated feature released in 1999 do you think would have been most likely to win Best Animated Feature had the category existed back then?

Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I have no doubt in my mind that Toy Story 2 would have won that year.

What I’d be more curious about is what other films would have been the also-rans (remember, there likely only would have been 3 nominees back then…animated films weren’t as frequent as they are now). Between The Iron Giant, South Park, and Tarzan, it’s hard to picture one of those films not getting nominated. The Iron Giant was a critical darling, but a box office disappointment, so I’d be willing to guess that it would have been snubbed that year. Plus, South Park and Tarzan both made it into the Original Song category, but if The Simpsons Movie couldn’t get nominated for Animated Feature, perhaps AMPAS has a bias against TV shows-turned movies. But Tarzan also wasn’t a lock for a nomination. Look at Tangled. Just because Disney has a blockbuster movie, doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed a slot in the category, especially in a competitive year.

Plus, even though I didn’t add them as options in the poll, there are some foreign films from the years prior that might have been eligible. Most notably Princess Mononoke, which was submitted to the Best Foreign Film category for 1997, but the English-dubbed version wasn’t released in the USA until 1999. I think there are some rules that disqualify films that are that old, so who knows when (or even if) Princess Mononoke could have been nominated for Best Animated Feature.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I wonder if Iron Giant could have won, even being a box office disappointment.  It was a hugely successful American animated film from an execution standpoint.  Wonder if the sequel factor at that particular time period would have prevented Toy Story 2 from winning.  I never really got why people love that movie so much, or even the first Toy Story for that matter.  They offer solid plots, and it was a big deal for computer generated animation to be so successful, but they don’t transcend the genre beyond the technicals and I never felt a compelling emotional connection from the films until the third one.

Thanks for mentioning Princess Mononoke.  I watched it again recently.  For my money, it’s the greatest animated film ever made, the best to ever come from Studio Ghibli.  Completely spellbinding, powerful and mature storytelling, extraordinary animation technique, over 50% of which was hand-drawn/redone/supervised by Miyazaki himself.  The characters are exceptional—from the lead to San to both antagonists (not villains) Lady Eboshi and Jigo.  The scene when the Forest Spirit heals Ashitaka is one of the most amazing scenes I’ve ever seen in an animated film, a wonderful use of silence and simulated camera movement.  The score is incredible.  And the mythology and execution towers over other attempts to bring environmental “messages” to film.  “If you return, I will have to eat you.”

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Toy Story 2 hands down. Tarzan, South Park, Iron Giant, and Fantasia would have been the other nominees. I don’t think Stuart Little really counts as an Animated movie. It has a mix of animation and humans 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Toy Story 2 hands down. Tarzan, South Park, Iron Giant, and Fantasia would have been the other nominees. I don’t think Stuart Little really counts as an Animated movie. It has a mix of animation and humans 

While I don’t think it would have (or even should have) been nominated, Stuart Little sadly probably would have been deemed eligible for a nomination. Stuart Little 2 was eligible in 2002, as was Osmosis Jones (2001)Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003), Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007), Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009), Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (2010), Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011), The Smurfs (2011), and The Smurfs 2 (2013). Thankfully, the Academy had the right mind not to nominate any of these films.

Also, while I think you probably have the top 5 candidates narrowed down, I doubt there would have been enough eligible films released that year to warrant 5 nominees. It probably would have been a 3-film lineup. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s so odd and kind of unfair. But if it were 3, Toy Story 2, Tarzan, and South Park. Each got an Oscar nomination/win without the animated category. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s so odd and kind of unfair. But if it were 3, Toy Story 2, Tarzan, and South Park. Each got an Oscar nomination/win without the animated category. 

I really wish they didn’t have the silly cut-off rule in the Animation category. There have been several notable animated films that you could argue would have been worthy nominees yet were snubbed because there could only be 3 nominees in certain years (especially in recent years):

2010 – Tangled, Despicable Me, Megamind (nominees: Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, The Illusionist)
    2008 – Waltz with Bashir, Horton Hears a Who (nominees: WALL-E, Kung Fu Panda, Bolt)
    2007 – The Simpsons Movie, Meet the Robinsons, Beowulf (nominees: Ratatouille, Persepolis, Surf’s Up)
    Paprika, Over the Hedge, Flushed Away (nominees: Happy Feet, Cars, Monster House)
    2005 – Robots, Madagascar, Hoodwinked!, Chicken Little (nominees: Wallace & Gromit, Corpse Bride, Howl’s Moving Castle)
    2004 – Ghost in the Shell 2, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Polar Express, Home on the Range (nominees: The Incredibles, Shrek 2, Shark Tale)
    2003 – Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Piglet’s Big Movie (nominees: Finding Nemo, The Triplets of Belleville, Brother Bear)
    2001 – Waking Light, Final Fantasy (Atlantis wasn’t submitted for consideration) (nominees: Shrek, Monsters Inc., Jimmy Neutron

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

While I agree with your reasoning, I just started thinking about all of the animated movies that have scored Oscar nominations since 2001 that were not nominated in the Best Animated Feature Category:

The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002) – Best Original Song
    The Polar Express
     (2004) – Best Original Song, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing
    Tangled (2010) – Best Original Song
    The Adventures of Tintin (2011) – Best Original Score
    Rio (2011) – Best Original Song 

It’s also worth noting that Quest for Camelot (1998) was nominated for Best Original Song, but there’s no way it would have gotten into Animated Feature over Antz, which had 0 nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    tjd
    Participant
    Topics:

The five nominees probably would’ve been:

The Iron Giant
    My Neighbors the Yamadas
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
    Tarzan
    Toy Story 2

Toy Story 2 would’ve won, with either Tarzan or The Iron Giant as potential upsets.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

This was an incredibly strong year. South Park, Fantasia, Toy Story 2, Iron Giant and Tarzan all would have made handsome nominees, but personally I would have gone with the logical choice, Toy Story 2.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: What would have won Best Animated Feature (1999)?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.