Home Forums Polls! Which SCI-FI will rule 2013?

Which SCI-FI will rule 2013?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
pacinofan
Renaton
Trent
  • Leonardo
    Topics:

Which upcoming SCI-FI film will rule 2013 in terms of:

-Box office
    -Critical Acclaim
    -Awards 

Take into account all the three components to decide which will end up as THE SCI-FI of the year…

OBLIVION by Joseph Kosinski
    Stars: Tom Cruise
    Story: A court martial sends a veteran soldier to a distant planet, where he has to destroy the remains of an alien race. The arrival of an unexpected traveler causes him to question what he knows about the planet, his mission, and himself.
    Budget: ~$130 million
    Release date: April 12
    Awards history: Kosinski’s debut film TRON: Legacy was nominated for Best Sound Editing at the Oscars. Tom Cruise has been nominated for 3 acting Oscars.

STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS by J.J. Abrams
    Stars: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana
    Story: After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.
    Budget: ~185 million
    Release date: May 17
    Awards history: its prequel Star Trek, was nominated for 4 tech Oscars, winning for Best Make-up. It was named a Top Ten Film of its year by the NBR, and nominated for the top prize by the PGA, best stunt ensemble by SAG and best adapted screenplay by WGA. 

AFTER EARTH by M. Night Shyamalan 
    Stars: Will Smith
    Story: One thousand years after cataclysmic events forced humanity’s escape from Earth, Nova Prime has become mankind’s new home. Legendary General Cypher Raige returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his 13-year-old son, Kitai. When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitai’s craft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar and dangerous Earth. As his father lies dying in the cockpit, Kitai must trek across the hostile terrain to recover their rescue beacon. His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance.
    Budget: ?
    Release date: June 7
    Awards history: Night’s The Sixth Sense was nominated for 6 major Oscars in 2000, including Picture and Director. Film was also up for 2 Golden Globes and the top prize of the DGA, also cited by WGA. Smith has been nominated for Best Leading Actor Oscar twice.

PACIFIC RIM by Guillermo Del Toro
    Stars: Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi
    Story: When an alien attack threatens the Earth’s existence, giant robots piloted by humans are deployed to fight off the menace.
    Budget: ~$200 million
    Release date: July 12
    Awards history: Del Toro was nominated for 2 Oscars (including Best Original Screenplay) in 2006 for El Laberinto del Fauno, which ended up winning 3 tech Oscars. Film was also up for 1 Golden Globe and selected to compete for the Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival. Kikuchi is a past Best Supporting Actress Oscar nominee.

ELYSIUM by Neill Blomkamp
    Stars: Matt Damon, Jodie Foster
    Story: In the year 2159 two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes, a government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky Max is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.
    Budget: ~$120 million
    Release date: August 9
    Awards history: Blonkamp’s last film District 9 was nominated for 4 Oscars in 2010, including Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay (which he co-wrote). Film was also up for 1 Golden Globe and Motion Picture of the Year at the PGA. Damon and Foster have won Oscars for writing and for Best Actress respectively. 

GRAVITY by Alfonso Cuarón
    Stars: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
    Story: Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone—tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth…and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.
    Budget: ~$80 million
    Release date: October 4
    Awards history: Cuarón’s last film Children of Men was nominated for 3 Oscars, including Best Adapted Screenplay. Bullock is a Best Actress winner and Clooney won Best Supporting Actor, he’s currently the frontrunner to take the Best Picture Oscar for Argo.

pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the most popular will be “Pacific Rim” because there is no man alive who does not want to see giant robots fight alien space-ships. “Elysium” sounds the most like a serious Oscar film out of this line-up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I think Gravity will probably be the one doing better with critics and the Academy, and that Pacific Rim will make the most money. Star Trek Into The Darkness will probably be the most balanced of all in both aspects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

Gravity will be the most critically acclaimed and is probably the only one with awards potential due to its cast and director.

Star Trek will probably make the most money, and may even be the highest grossing film of the year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Topics:

No one will care for Oblivion by years end, even if it is a good film.

Trek will probably do just as well as the first one did. Maybe better if its more acclaimed.

Even with Will Smith, After Earth will flop. M Night is poison.

Pacific Rim will do well but I don’t think it’ll get any major award attention unless it winds up being a real breakthrough.

Elysium will do well I think, but I can see a scenario where it underperforms.

Gravity, though, will slay the whole competition. Multiple Oscar noms, a 87+ Metacritic score, over $100 million at the box office, etc. Get ready.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

O wow thank you for starting this thread! One of my favorite genres, if not thee fave.

Looks as if all of these titles are original screenplays. I dont see one adaptation from any respected or iconic scifi writer.
     But Blomkamp up there is encouraging! Cuaron is no slouch either. Or Del Toro. At least Shyamalan has a competent writer on his team. Phew; although I hate picking on the guy.

I dont want to sound snooty, but the only ‘story’ I see out there that I’d consider challenging, “higher” scifi is Oblivion.
    The Box Office should go to the dumbest sounding one up there, the Transformers like Pacific Rim. although I’d love to see the new Star Trek film do well, which it should.

Critically? I dont CARE. I’ll judge that for myself. In terms of ‘critics’ however, just how many of them read true science fiction? I’d wager it’s beyond many many of them. Lol. Scifi can be the highest form of writing and concept there is. But the one that intrigues me the most and doesnt sound too much like a western in outerspace of some other genre set on a rocket ship, is Oblivion.

Fingers crossed for all of them, however.      

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Gravity will be the most critically acclaimed and is probably the only one with awards potential due to its cast and director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

I will go with “Gravity”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity. But im also excited to see Jodie Foster in Elysium.

Gravity will most likely make a lot of money and get awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Gravity critically but Star Trek box office wise. Although Pacific Rim & After Earth could top Star Trek at the box office should word of mouth be really good for either.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Which SCI-FI will rule 2013?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.