American Idol to Return in March 2018 on ABC. Ryan Seacrest to Host.

Home // Forums // Reality TV // American Idol to Return in March 2018 on ABC. Ryan Seacrest to Host.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

http://tvline.com/2017/05/05/american-idol-reboot-abc-revival-fox/

So what does everyone think?
    Apparently the plan is to air it on Sundays but it makes more sense to air it two nights a week so does this mean it will air on Mondays too? If so, would it affect the Dancing with the Stars schedule? How well do you all think the show will do? What should the producers do to freshen up the show? Who do you think should judge? Kelly Clarkson is the name that’s been floating around the most. If they want to have former contestants as judges I think Jennifer Hudson and Adam Lambert would be great choices as well considering they also have experience as judges being that they are the most recent winners of The Voice UK and The X Factor Australia respectively. Maybe they’ll bring a previous judge as well. Randy Jackson? Paula Abdul? Keith Urban? Harry Connick Jr.? Steven Tyler? Who knows?! Either way I’m very interested in how ABC plans on pulling this off. Especially considering that the show traditionally aired from January-May. If the show premieres on the first Sunday of March then the show would last for 12 weeks and that is significantly less than the 20 weeks it last for of the show started on the first Sunday of January. The only problem I see if they start in March and assuming they’ll end in May in time for sweeps, is that we will have less weeks to know the contestants because everything would feel rushed and it means they’ll most likely have to eliminate more than one contestant a week. One can never be sure though so who knows, maybe ABC will have an answer to all my questions and doubt and everything will turn out fine. Guess we’ll all have to find out and I for one can’t wait to see what happens.

Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Idol doesn’t need to be a two-episode-per-week show. The results shows were always long and drawn out, and were obvious ways for Fox to cash in. Starting off an episode with the elimination, then going into performances could work. I could also see them starting off with the performances, open the text/Twitter voting as soon as the performances are over, go to a 5 minute commercial break, and have the results in before the episode is over. Would make for more exciting television, in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m all for revivals as you all know but this one I don’t want coming back. Reality shows do not deserve revivals. They are what destroyed scripted shows. Enough with this shit.

But if they really want to bring it even though ratings sucked for last couple of years then please, one episode per week as Danny said.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

First of all I would much rather watch American Idol than The Voice. So if one needs to go, let it be the Voice with it’s annoying system (they need to get rid of at least two rounds of eliminations), tiresome coaches and extremely unsuccesful artists/winners.

I don’t think the show will do better than what it was getting on FOX, but I do think it can be a hit (for today’s standards). Ryan Seacrest is now on LIVE so I asume his thing with NBC and all those people is over, so maybe he’ll just stay on E! with that company. He never missed a show for 15 seasons, which is crazy, and we all know how loves to be in EVERYTHING so of course he’ll come back. He won’t miss this opportunity and neither will the show. He really is a fantastic host, regardless his annoying ways, he’s what a host should be. Plus he might want to keep reaching for that hosting Emmy, an award he should’ve won at least once.

As for judges, let’s not pretend Jennifer Hudson is doing anything relevant, she’s still somehow very important to people even though she does absolutely nothing. It’s been years since her height and all she’s done is The Color Purple and perfoming at award shows. I believe she’s now judging The Voice somewhere, so she’s already in this business, bringing her in will definitely mean a lot for the show. Kelly Clarkson would mean everything to the show, more than any other judge they manage to bring back, old or new. Adam Lambert also makes sense. All three names have been mentioned for years and years.

Simon is out, he’s on AGT now. Jennifer Lopez wouldn’t even be allowed to consider this, she has both Shades of Blue and that reality dance show on NBC, no way she comes back. Randy is probably heading to has-been town, so he’ll jump at this easily and Keith would probably do it too. Honestly a panel consisting of Randy, Keith, Jennifer and Kelly/Adam would make all the sense in the world. Familiar faces, likeable faces, past winners and the biggest “should’ve won” runner up on any reality show (along with Russell Hantz). Can’t imagine this combo not being their priority right now.

It’s may already, if this is for 2018, they need to get moving.

I suppose Kieran is extremely happy with this news, I won’t watch if he’s not back to dim those lights.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Allow me to mention that I am one of the biggest American Idol fans ever and I love this show with all my heart despite of all the crap it has gone through. I am excited for its return and I hope that they are able to breathe fresh life into this revival, but I wonder how long it will last? Has American Idol passed its prime? I don’t know. People are loving The Voice or The X Factor nowadays so is there even enough room for the show?

I am happy that Ryan will be back because honestly he is kinda the glue that holds Idol together.

But if they really want people to watch this revival, get Simon Cowell back as a judge with the exact same personality. Not the somewhat softer version of him on Got Talent or X Factor. The same mean one and Bam! people will watch it in droves. He was one of the primary reasons for people tuning in and it will bring old-time fans back.

Other than him… I don’t know. I think one female artist who is relevant right now or a former contestant as a judge would be nice, and maybe an unknown record producer similar to Randy Jackson. But I also fear that this will have people complaining that they are trying to emulate the first eight seasons’ judges’ dynamic, which honestly I wouldn’t complain about because it worked. If it’s not broken don’t fix it. Ultimately, I hope that they spare no expenses with the choices for the judges like what supposedly did after Simon’s departure.

But we all know that Jennifer Lopez will be a judge because the world hates me. Seriously, “Nip” (inside joke) doesn’t deserve to be a judge on a show like Idol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

But I heard that this revival isn’t even a done deal yet and neither is Ryan Seacrest. So I don’t think we should jump to conclusions until we get confirmation about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The judges should be an all former alums panel for “Idol 2.0.” Redefine the show for a new following of viewers. There’s a real opportunity here. Keep it to three though: Kelly, Jennifer, and Adam. Done and done. And yes, get Miss Ryan back as host, even with the big “LWK&R” announcement. I don’t particularly need Randy, Keith, J-LO, Paula, or useless Iovine and Borchetta anywhere near this project ever again. Simon as in-house mentor would be everything, but he’d never do it at this point.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish this show had taken a longer nap before being revived. I didn’t watch the last few seasons, and it felt like time for it to be off air for a while. It still feels like that, but I hope it does well.

While I agree that the show should try to redefine itself somewhat for a new audience/new generation, the one thing I can’t imagine is Ryan not being the host. It just wouldn’t seem right. I know scheduling could be crazy with him doing that and Live, but it could also be great cross-promotion between the two shows, with Ryan coming on every Monday morning with some dish about stuff happening at the show the night before and getting priority booking of eliminated contestants possibly the day after that. I don’t know who should be on the judging panel, but dear lord PLEASE don’t let it be J-Lo. I’d suggest they get a balanced panel that works together the way the original panel did, but they also have to keep in mind how different pop music is now from how it was 16 years ago. Getting all Idol alums would miss the behind-the-scenes expertise that Simon and Randy were providing when Idol started and that probably helped them pick winners who were actually successful. Having talent musicians is great, but in terms of picking out other talent, most of them are barely any better than a layperson would be. I’d love them to renew the sense that the judging panel is actually more qualified to judge than the three people sitting on your couch.

It could also be great with just one show per week rather than two.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

So it is officially coming back on ABC, and I could not be happier as I am a huge Idol idiot. But I think they will pull out all the stops to try and get Ryan to come back, and honestly the show will make or break with its judges. Pick good judges, and the show could have a second wind. Pick crappy judges and this revival will be one and done. The ball’s in your court, ABC. Do not disappoint.

FYC: Simon Cowell all the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Why does the title say that Ryan Seacrest will host?  I have not seen that confirmed anywhere.  

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

This is so awful. I’ve never posted on the reality TV boards but I had to say how much I fucking hate this. I used to love Idol but for it’s last several years it was a huge steaming pile of shit. It already went on way too long to begin with and they want to bring it back so soon. This feels like an insult to humanity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

just let it die in peace ________________________ it flatlined

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
    ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson did a great job on The Voice UK. Would make a fine judge. But I’m not excited for this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

But they are going to “change” and “reinvent” it to “make it better” according to ABC press release. Maybe I am a hopeless Idol lover, but I will hold out opinions until I find out who are the judges/host.

Besides, recently the GoldDerby forums have been so full of negativity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, what is the point of bringing this show back when it’s only been off-air for one year? No one gives a shit about American Idol anymore. There is singing competition fatigue. Kelly Clarkson would fucking suck as a judge. She’ll just tell every contestant how great he/she is. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jennifer Hudson. No one remembers Adam Lambert. I’m bored with Ryan Seacrest. Without Simon Cowell, this show is a gigantic flop.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
Reply To: American Idol to Return in March 2018 on ABC. Ryan Seacrest to Host.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.