Home Forums Sports 2017: Tennis Grand Slams – Australian Open

2017: Tennis Grand Slams – Australian Open

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

What are your plans and hopes for this WTA and ATP seasons? Will Serena and Novak keep their #1 status at the end of the year? How Olympics will turn out? I am the most excited about the endless possibilities of mixed doubles – apparently both Hingis/Federer and Bacinszky/Wawrinka are both confirmed for Switzerland and while the world went gaga for the former, I’d bet for the latter if Timea is in form.Australian Open is in less than a month and frankly I can’t wait – it’s my favorite after Wimbledon and way before the remaining 2.  

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jake.
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this is going to be Wawrinka’s big year. I think he’ll be in every grand slam finals, winning at least two and get an Olympic gold. He may even be #1 by the end. I know it’s a bit bold, but I’m really thinking he’s got the momentum.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

As long as Novak and Serena stay healthy, the top of the order shouldn’t change. I have no idea why Wawrinka would magically win two majors this year when he was lucky to get one the last two. He hasn’t demonstrated any consistency against the big 4. I think Nadal will do better on clay and his end of season form should continue, but Murray will likely be number two with Federer (who is skipping three clay masters) probably around number 4 or 5 for the duration. As for the women, look for Bencic, the elder Pliskova, and Muguruza to get better. I’d love it if the draw gods were kind and Venus can have a deep Wimbledon run. But mostly, Serena will pass Steffi, but probably won’t tie Court.

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

Wawrinka made easy work of Djokoivc in the french open final but he’s so rarely like that! I just assume serena and Novak all year like it was this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

That French final was an anamoly. Bear in mind, Novak was trying to get the one major not on his resume, plus had had to go through Rafa and Murray. Plus Stan played out of his head. Expecting that to be the rule not the exception would be like expecting Roberta Vinci to suddenly be top ranked in anything but doubles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know what’s going on with WTA Top 10 right now?

1. Serena Williams – knee inflamation, first withdrawal and then retirement during Hopman Cup
    2. Simona Halep – leg injury, withdraws before Brisbane opens
    3. Garbine Muguruza – retires in Brisbane
    4. Maria Sharapova – wrist injury, withdraws before Brisbane opens
    6. Petra Kvitova – retires in Shenzen 
    7. Venus Williams – problems with her leg (?), loses in the first round in Auckland
    9. Lucie Safarova – health issues, withdraws before Hopman Cup opens

Thankfully, Radwanska (#5) and Kerber (#10) are still playing and doing well and Flavia Pennetta (#8) probably enjoys her retirement. What’s going on?! 

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

I think some of these “retirements” are what Peter Bodo on ESPN.com called “proactive retirements” since in the case of those playing international level events, they hit their promotional requirements to receive whatever appearance fee they get off the books. I think Sharapova and Serena are way more banged up than we realize though but we won’t know how bad until the Aussie is here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, that sounds about right but I’d be very pissed off if I’d organize Brisbane or buy ticket to see any of them playing. I can understand 2 or 3 of them doing that but not 7 out of 9 (although Venus DID finish her match)! That’s the beginning of the year, not late September. 

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s the calculated risk of seeing tennis live though. Sad to say it but it is…

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

At least one of them wasn’t calculating – Lucie Safarova withdrew from Australian Open due to ongoing health problems. I feel really bad for her, she’s one of my favorite tennis players when she’s peaking. It might be the same thing that prevented her from playing for weeks before Singapore.

Venus Williams is supposed to take Top 8 draw now.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

Sloane Stephens wins the first title of the year on the WTA in Auckland! I do hope this is the year she uses her talent to become a consistent force on the tour.

ReplyCopy URL
    ankehuber
    Participant
    Topics:

radwanska wins shenzen and will surpass sharapova for the 4th place at ranking on monday !!!

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

Vika wins first title since 2013 Cincy and emphatically so! Perhaps this starts pushing her back to the top 10 and consistently contending again at majors?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

The AO draw will be streamed live in 6 hours. Can’t wait. I hope Garbine Muguruza and Victoria Azarenka will play each other – how is it possible that it so far has never happened? 

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

Well that draw is completely bad for Serena. Good for Venus and everyone else in the bottom half. Very glad to see 14 American men in the main draw with Fritz, Harrison, and Smyczk getting through quailes and Frantangelo a lucky loser. I think Taylor Fritz is going to have a very bright future and it’s fun to see him at this stage.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.