Home Forums Sports Wimbledon 2015 (Tennis)

Wimbledon 2015 (Tennis)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The first round draws have been made for Wimbledon 2015. The competition starts on Monday.

Men’s Notable First Round Draws: 
    Djokovic – Kohlschreiber
    Ferrer – Ward
    Tsonga – Muller
    Berdych – Chardy
    Hewitt – Nieminen
    Wawrinka – Sousa
    Dimitrov – Raonic
    Nadal – Bellucci
    Murray – Kukushkin
    Federer- Dzumhur

Women’s Notable First Round Draw:
    S Williams – Gasparyan
    V Williams – Brengle
    Sharapova – Konta
    Safarova – Riske
    Kvitova – Bertens
    Watson – Garcia

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Top Seeds

Men’s Women’s
    1 Djokovic (Ser) 1 S Williams (USA)
    2 Federer (Swi) 2 Kvitova (Cze)
    3 Murray (GB) 3 Halep (Rom)
    4 Wawrinka (Swi) 4 Sharapova (Rus)
    5 Nishikori (Jpn) 5 Wozniacki (Den)
    6 Berdych (Cze) 6 Safarova (Cze)
    7 Raonic (Can) 7 Ivanovic (Ser)
    8 Ferrer (Spa) 8 Makarova (Rus)
    9 Cilic (Cro) 9 Navarro (Spa)
    10 Nadal (Spa) 10 Kerber (Ger)
    11 Dimitrov (Bul)  11 Pliskova (Cze)
    12 Simon (Fra) 12 Bouchard (Can)
    13 Tsonga (Fra) 13 Radwanska (Pol)
    14 Anderson (SA) 14 Petkovic (Ger)
    15 Lopez (Spa) 15 Bacsinzky (Swi)
    16 Goffin (Bel) 16 V Williams (USA)

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Provided that everything goes the way people largely expect, Murray’s path to the final involves matches against:

Round 4 – Tsonga
    Quarter Finals –  Nadal/Ferrer
    Semi-Final – Federer
    Final – Djokovic

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Wimbledon is my favourite of the Slams, and I’m as excited as always! Like I did for the French Open, I’ll post my predictions before each round. In general though, my expectation for the best matches (if all goes according to plan) will be in those men’s semifinals. Whoever wins that Federer/Murray semi will be my pick to win. On the other side, a French Open final rematch? Yes please! It will also be interesting to see if there will be any early upsets, given that there weren’t really any in the French.

On the women’s side, it all comes back to Serena. She can’t play like she did in the early rounds of the French, or she’ll see another early round upset. I also look forward to seeing if Bouchard can bounce back at her best tournament. If she manages to regain her form, we could see a great quarterfinal between her and Kvitova. The women’s bracket has a lot of early excitement at the French, and I’m expecting more of the same here. The women seeded from 2-32 are all so close in quality, that it really could be anyone in that final.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

Bouchard withdrew from Eastbourne this week with injury and Kvitova with illness so we will see how well they hold up over the fortnight. Players playing well right now include Konta and Riske so we will see how that holds up. Djokovic has a TOUGH first round. Especially since he didn’t play a tune up event, Novak has a tough early draw with some dangerous floaters. Federer also has a dangerous seed in Jack Sock as a potential 3rd round opponent. Sock and his partner also have an interesting quarter in doubles in defense of their title. Williams sisters also have a good draw in doubles. Serena and Venus could meet in the fourth round (boo) and Serena and Vika could hit in the quarters with Maria possibly in the semis. But regardless if she completes the Serena Slam, by dint of making the semis, she would effectively seal the top ranking for most of the rest of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Once again Serena is the favourite!! Much is being made of Kvitova’s potential to repeat, but I get the feeling she will experience a result similar to this year’s Roland Garros. IF Venus can make it to the 4th round things could get really interesting, especially if she is having a ‘good-energy-level’ day. It would seem there is a lot on the line for Halep, Bouchard and Šafárová.

Like Kvitova, I don’t see Djoker repeating. I suspect it is Federer or Murray’s time. Nadal is a wildcard. Hopefully Grigor can turn around what has been a ‘not-so-good’ year. *Fingers Crossed* for Raonic.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

We have our first top 10 upset already! Suarez Navarro got totally outplayed in that match.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah not that shocking since Suarez Navarro is dreadful on grass. Overall interesting day. Hewitt went down fighting, 3 American men and six women through. Venus did NOT play around with Madison Brengle. That’s got to be a record for oldest person to score a double bagel. Serena looked very sharp in the second set. Maria did well but seven double faults. That’s not a good sign. Looking forward to tomorrow!

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow Halep and Bouchard: from semi finalist and finalist to first round wipeouts in 12 months! How fickle the grass of SW19 is! This is a great opportunity for Bascinsky or Lisicki in that section and Wozniacki and or Kerber to get to the semis. Sad to see Jack Sock go out without much fight. Otherwise the men’s side was pretty business as usual. Serena pulled out of doubles to “focus on singles.” Looks like all that talk of not looking ahead to completing a Serena Slam or the Grand Slam might be just that: talk.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

P.S. Anyone see the pics of Wawrinka from the ESPN The Body issue? Woof!

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

My picks for Round 2:

Men: (Advancing)

Goffin, Tomic, Dmitrov
    Gasquet, Djokovic, Raonic
    Isner, Baghdatis, Kyrgios
    Cilic, Zverev, Nishikori
    Granollers. Anderson, Vedasco
    Wawrinka, Ward, Fognini
    Troicki, Nadal, Tsonga
    Karlovic, Seppi, Murray
    Berdych, Andujar, Monfils
    Simon, Basilashvili, Paire
    Duckworth, Federer

Women: (Advancing)

Pliskova, Stosur, Diyas
    Sharapova, Tsurenko, Hantuchova
    Petkovic, Bencic, Ivanovic
    Safarova, Williams, Errani
    Stephens, Williams, Mladenovic
    Azarenka, Wozniacki, Giorgi
    Lucic-Baroni, Kerber, Bacsinszky
    Lisicki, Kuznetsova, Niculescu
    Makarova, Cornet, Maria
    Radwanska, Svitolina, Jankovic,
    Kvitova 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

HUGE centre court match tomorrow. Serena Williams going up against the last remaining British female hope in this years Championship – Heather Watson. Huge bias, but come on Watson!

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

This Nadal/Brown match is absolutely thrilling. I’d never heard of Brown before but he’s really fun to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

And the Rafa slump continues…. You gotta spare a thought for that guy. On the other hand, Dustin played the match of his career. Well done.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

I remembered Brown beating Nadal last year at Halle so I’m not surprised by how this shook out. The good news for Rafa is that from here on out he has basically no points to defend so his ranking and results can really only improve. But his movement is clearly not what it was and he just doesn’t scare guys like he used to.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Reply To: Wimbledon 2015 (Tennis)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.