Home Forums Television 1986: Who Says Emmy Hates Kids?

1986: Who Says Emmy Hates Kids?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Placeholder
    Participant
    Topics:

The 38th Emmys in 1986 featured a great anomaly. Four actors 20 or younger were nominated, including three in one category.

For Supporting Actress, Comedy you had
    7- Keshia Knight Pulliam The Cosby Show 
    18- Lisa Bonet The Cosby Show
    20- Justine Bateman Family Ties

15 year old Malcolm Jamal Warner was also nominated for The Cosby Show. And for good measure, Michael J. Fox moved to lead and became the youngest winner at the age of 24.

In the decades since this ceremony, only six actors 20 or younger have been nominated, and none of them have won… 

What young actors recently have been worthy of a nomination, but were skipped because of the so-called age bias?

My Picks
    Chole Moretz- 30 Rock
    Kiernan Shipka- Mad Men (just the most recent season)

24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

What young actors recently have been worthy of a nomination, but were skipped because of the so-called age bias?

Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It is not like Williams had a tape at all.  Age bias was not the first thing that stopped her.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

It is not like Williams had a tape at all.  Age bias was not the first thing that stopped her.

Age bias stopped her from getting a nomination. A tape doesn’t come in play unless you’re nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I think voters just not looking closely enough at GoT is the main reason Williams has been overlooked. I don’t really think she’s been worthy yet anyhow. Perhaps more worthy than some who’ve gotten in. But I wouln’t even put her in the top heap of people recently snubbed in just her category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

By saying that she has never had a legitimate tape, I was calling into question the validity of the claim that she has been unjustly overlooked.  As Icky said, voters are not looking closely enough at Game of Thrones even if she did deserve a nomination.  It took three years for Emilia Clarke to get in and where are the nominations for Sean Bean, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau?

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

The youngest person I can think of that has been snubbed unfairly is Eden Sher from The Middle. But I think she’s been old enough all along, so not necessarily in a “biased” situation. It’s just that the Emmys don’t care for The Middle.

Kiernan Shipka and her excessive GoldDerby hype are worthless when you’re a little girl trying to get in a biased awards show with a character that gets the ocasional powerful episode and some scenes here and there. She gets more than the average kid, but never enough to compete with her co-stars or the other eventual nominees. Also, the better and older she gets, the less obsessed the Emmys become about Mad Men.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

By saying that she has never had a legitimate tape, I was calling into question the validity of the claim that she has been unjustly overlooked.

I wouldn’t say she’s been unjustly overlooked, but IMO she’s been worthy of a nomination. This thread’s topic is a way to say she has/had no chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just curious, who are the six other actors 20 or younger who have gotten a nomination?

Also, it’s probably easier for kids to get nominated for the Daytime Emmys because they have “Performer in a Children Series” (and, until 2007, “Performer in a Children’s Special.”) And the Canadian TV Awards also have a similar system. Maybe…it’s time for the Primetime Emmys to follow suit…

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the “children shows” get rewarded at the daytime Emmys, even the ones that air in primetime. And no one suggest an “Best Young Performance” category.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

And no one suggest an “Best Young Performance” category.

Too late. GoMe91 already did. 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually, technically I suggested a “Best Performance in a Children’s Program” category which is different. Kiernan Shipka in Mad Men wouldn’t be eligible. 

But, honestly, I didn’t write all that just to get into a debate since we’ve already discussed that possiblity here many times with mixed opinions. It was just something I felt compelled to say for some reason.

I’m still interested in those 6 performers WHO were nominated since 1986. I can’t think of them off the top of my head. 

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually, technically I suggested a “Best Performance in a Children’s Program” category which is different. Kiernan Shipka in Mad Men wouldn’t be eligible. 

But, honestly, I didn’t write all that just to get into a debate since we’ve already discussed that possiblity here many times with mixed opinions. It was just something I felt compelled to say for some reason.

I’m still interested in those 6 performers WHO were nominated since 1986. I can’t think of them off the top of my head. 

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh! I guess that girl from that Anne Frank miniseries would be one of them!

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I know what you meant. But the daytime Emmys already recognize “children’s programs” of both day and primetime. A “Best Young Performance in a Children’s Program” would be something for the daytime Emmys to cultivate.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.