1993: The greatest race that never was.

Home // Forums // Television // 1993: The greatest race that never was.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Placeholder
    Participant
    Topics:

The 1992-93 television season produced two of the top ten greatest comedy seasons of all time. One would win the Emmy, both should have been nominated.

The fourth season of Seinfeld is seen as the best of the series, and was rated by TV Guide as the greatest television season of all-time. It would win a much deserved Outstanding Comedy Series Emmy. The only one for the series, due to Frasier. But as great as Seinfeld was that year, it was not alone when it came to spectacular fourth seasons.

The fourth season of The Simpsons also aired that year, and is seen as the pinnacle of The Simpsons ”golden age”. 1993 was the first time in decades that animated shows could compete in the main program categories. The Simpsons entered the comedy field and were denied, in one of the largest snubs in Emmy history. Had they been nominated, the series field that year would have been the greatest comedy lineup in Emmy History.

Cheers (Season 11) NBC, final season

The Larry Sanders Show (Season 1) HBO

Murphy Brown (Season 5) CBS, defending champion

Seinfeld (Season 4) NBC

The Simpsons (Season 4) Fox

I have never seen Murphy Brown, but the other four would all have been worthy winners.

Instead the formulaic ratings hit Home Improvement was nominated. The academy continued to dismiss The Simpsons through the end of the golden age. The final insult came in 2009 when the vastly inferior Family Guy was nominated for Comedy Series (this may have been to increase ratings).

I realize that awards shows don’t get credit for making the right choices, only their mistakes. The Emmys should be thanked for awarding Cheers, Hill Street Blues, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and other niche shows that were on the brink of cancellation. But not nominating The Simpsons is a glaring omission.

BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

Murphy brown was locked in by it’s premiere episode “you say potatoe I say potato” I mean now it lacks the power it had the time by at the time it was like fey as palin! It’s over 20 years old so just imagine fey as Palin in 2028!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Season four of The Simpsons really is the greatest season of a great show. It’s twenty two episodes long, but most of them are all big classic episodes. It has “Kamp Krusty”, “A Streetcar Named Marge”, “Homer The Heretic”, “Treehouse of Horror III”, “Itchy & Scratchy: the Movie”, “New Kid On The Block”, “Mr. Plow”, “Lisa’s First Word”, “Marge Vs. The Monorail”, “I Love Lisa”, “Whacking Day” and “Krusty Gets Cancelled”. Most comedy show don’t even get to have that many great episodes in their entire run, let alone in a single season.

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

Season four of The Simpsons really is the greatest season of a great show. It’s twenty two episodes long, but most of them are all big classic episodes. It has “Kamp Krusty”, “A Streetcar Named Marge”, “Homer The Heretic”, “Treehouse of Horror III”, “Itchy & Scratchy: the Movie”, “New Kid On The Block”, “Mr. Plow”, “Lisa’s First Word”, “Marge Vs. The Monorail”, “I Love Lisa”, “Whacking Day” and “Krusty Gets Cancelled”. Most comedy show don’t even get to have that many great episodes in their entire run, let alone in a single season.

Just too bad It was not in the race! So many classics!

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

The 1992-93 television season produced two of the top ten greatest comedy seasons of all time. One would win the Emmy, both should have been nominated.

The fourth season of Seinfeld is seen as the best of the series, and was rated by TV Guide as the greatest television season of all-time. It would win a much deserved Outstanding Comedy Series Emmy. The only one for the series, due to Frasier. But as great as Seinfeld was that year, it was not alone when it came to spectacular fourth seasons.

The fourth season of The Simpsons also aired that year, and is seen as the pinnacle of The Simpsons ”golden age”. 1993 was the first time in decades that animated shows could compete in the main program categories. The Simpsons entered the comedy field and were denied, in one of the largest snubs in Emmy history. Had they been nominated, the series field that year would have been the greatest comedy lineup in Emmy History.

Cheers (Season 11) NBC, final season

The Larry Sanders Show (Season 1) HBO

Murphy Brown (Season 5) CBS, defending champion

Seinfeld (Season 4) NBC

The Simpsons (Season 4) Fox

I have never seen Murphy Brown, but the other four would all have been worthy winners.

Instead the formulaic ratings hit Home Improvement was nominated. The academy continued to dismiss The Simpsons through the end of the golden age. The final insult came in 2009 when the vastly inferior Family Guy was nominated for Comedy Series (this may have been to increase ratings).

I realize that awards shows don’t get credit for making the right choices, only their mistakes. The Emmys should be thanked for awarding Cheers, Hill Street Blues, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and other niche shows that were on the brink of cancellation. But not nominating The Simpsons is a glaring omission.

One of these nominees need to be replaced by Roseanne.  I have been watching season 5 of this show and this is the season that Roseanne Arnold/Barr and Laurie Metcalfe won their Emmys.  Season 5 is the best season of Roseanne and should have been nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

If Roseanne AND The Simpsons had made it in, along with Cheers/Larry Sanders/Seinfeld that would have been a historic line-up, among the best ones in the history of the Emmys.

By the way, I wouldn’t expect The Simpsons to have won had they actually been nominated, but man, would have they been deserving. That season is just perfect. It should have absolutely won. 

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Home Improvement is one of the few classic 90’s sitcoms that I find hard to watch. I legitimately dislike the show. 

But even without Home Improvement – still competitive for that fifth spot. Simpsons vs Roseanne. Tough. And I wouldn’t have gotten rid of any of the 4 other nominees. So…I wish they had had the “top 6” system like we have now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Murphy Brown is not a good show and has not aged well. So both Roseanne and The Simpsons could take those two slots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Raylan
    Topics:

I loved Home Improvement. The earlier seasons were the funniest, when the kids were young.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

vastly inferior Family Guy??????? 

Envy hurts like a bitch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty good fantasy list. However, I would replace Murphy Brown and Seinfeld with Roseanne and Mad About You (I know it gets a bad wrap nowadays for the amount of awards it won, but the first three seasons were solid). Now, that’s probably the best line-up ever for that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad About You??? That was a contender too? Man! Crazy!

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

vastly inferior Family Guy??????? 

Envy hurts like a bitch.

Family Guy is insanely overrated. The funny thing is it got popular just around the time it started getting bad. They work just as copy + paste of references of superior work, and there’s zero characterization beyond Stewie and Bryan. I mean, they have personalities, but broad, and there’s no emotional core. It’s 9gag: The animated series.

It’s terrible that one of most influential comedies of all time like “The Simpsons” got snubbed for a legendary season that set a very high standard for animated adult shows, but Family Guy got in for a very weak late run season because of nothing but popularity and lack of competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

However, I would replace… Seinfeld with… Mad About You 

That is so wrong. So, so, so very wrong. Like, tons of levels of terrible. I could write a 1000 page book about it, and still not make it clear enough how wrong this would’ve been. Just so astonishing in its effort for wrongness. Just no. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

^ The Blue Ribbon system also helped out. It’s pretty obvious on the nose and outragueous comedy played well for those groups. Pushing Daisies couldn’t get in for its pilot.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
Reply To: 1993: The greatest race that never was.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.