2006 Emmys

Home // Forums // Television // 2006 Emmys

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

At the 2006 Emmys, some notable names were left out because of the new system the Academy was trying to implement, specifically James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, and Hugh Laurie.   I do not remember what Laurie submitted to the pre-nomination panel, but I remember Gandolfini submitted “Members Only,” and Falco submitted “Join the Club”  both of which featured strong performances by the actors, and if nominated, I felt that those would have been the episodes they would have submitted by usual nominating standards.    If nominated, do you think Gandolfini and Falco could have defeated Kiefer Sutherland and Mariska Hargitay, in the Lead Actor/Actress Drama categories that year?

GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

To be honest, no. If those 2 couldn’t win for the stronger 6.2, then I don’t see them winning for 6.1 either. After their three wins each, I don’t think voters cared to see them win a fourth time. I think 24 was at its peak (it also won drama series) and Hargitay probably got a make up win for losing to Allison Janney her first year.

Hm…I thought Gandolfini had submitted “Johnny Cakes.” I don’t know where I got that from. I guess I’m wrong? I liked that episode much more than “Members Only.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you’re right.    Gandolfini did submit “Johnny Cakes.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Milo Kunis
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember being jazzed that Hargitay won. I was in my SVU phase at the time. 

I have always felt that the academy was feeling a bit too “Been there, done that” with Falco and Gandolfini. Even if both of them were fantastic through out the series’ run. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I was rooting for Frances Conroy from Six Feet Under.

I would not have ranked Hargitay #1 either in 2005 (Close should have won for The Shield) or 2006 (Frances Conroy).

ReplyCopy URL
    Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think that if this process had continued, many multiple winners would have not been continuously nominated.    I was just wondering, for instance, if Falco’s “Join the Club” could have defeated Hargitay’s “911” episode, or if Gandolfini’s “Johnny Cakes” could have defeated Sutherland’s winning episode.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: 2006 Emmys

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.