Home Forums Television 2011-2012 Drama Guest Actor

2011-2012 Drama Guest Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

So, I’ve been wondering about this category for a while, now. There have been a number of names thrown out there, but currently the editors have ranked the top 6 possible nominees as being…

1) Michael J. Fox, The Good Wife
    2) Matthew Perry, The Good Wife
    3) Robert Morse, Mad Men
    4) Fred Willard, The Closer
    5) Jeremy Davies, Justified
    6) Chris Messina, Damages

Now, a number of those are likely up in the air, but I think I’m safe in saying that the Good Wife men are pretty much assured as locks get nominated.

My question is this: should it come down between the two, who has the greater shot at a win – Fox or Perry? I know that Perry’s run got a lot of buzz when it was airing, and Fox did lose in this category last year, but is it possible that Michael has a tape to upset him?

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  

Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

Perry. The only thing Fox has to a good tape is “Parenting Made Easy”, but even then Margulies outshines him in everything, and he has very little air time to compete with.

Meanwhile Perry has two strong tapes he could submit, “Blue Ribbon Panel” and “Pants on Fire”. Both would be excellent tapes for him.

However, this category really made me lose interest when Alfred Molina wasn’t submitted for his outstanding work on “Harry’s Law”. Had he been submitted, he would have been nominated, and probably would have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

First of all (this may seem like a stupid question) but who votes for guest acting? If everyone can then voters assessing writing have only one episode to assess from TGW, Blue Ribbon Panel, this being one of the best of the season elevated by Perry. Perry has the overdue factor, a better episode and more screentime. Furthermore Perry has a more alluring storyline in his 2 episodes, whereas the plot in the episode Fox will submit, Parenting Made Easy, are more associated with entertaining filler as opposed to character development, as his episode is overshaddowed by Alicia’s personal storyline (a shocker, albeit a weak conclusion), whereas Blue Ribbon Panel wonderfully links Alicia’s current and future personal situation with Perry’s character as her husband’s potential rival. In theory Perry, but Fox has one big asset – being Michael J. Fox!

I think that TGW is a one-win-per-season show, and I say this as (who knows!) possibly one of their biggest fans, so my thought is Baranski or Perry from a pick of no more than 9 nominations for a TGW win.

Chris Messina (particularly) or Jeremy Davies could be satisfactory alternatives.

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

If Messina scores a nomination (I am praying he does) his submission will hands down be the best.  He would be competitive if managed a nomination in Suppoprting Actor, but he never would.

ReplyCopy URL
    espnfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have to say that Perry has the advantage.  He has the more buzzed about role and better tapes to boot.  I do not remember anything standout from M.J. Fox this past season on TGW.  I also feel if he was not reaward last year for his work on TGW, when he had the buzz and the tapes, then I doubt they are in any rush to reward him for his second go around on TGW.  In addition he also has his work on Curb, so if Emmy voters are dying to give him a sixth Emmy, I think that will be where it comes from.

I also have to agree with a point someone made last year about Michael J. Fox.  We are getting to the point where we don’t need to reward him for every performance and role he has.  He now has enough guest acting spots and roles under his belt that we don’t need to reward him every time he decides to take a role.  Nice guy, great actor, and obviously big name, but I hope they academy does not reward him everytime he does something.   Or in other words I hope he does not turn into the make version of Chloris Leachman.

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair I don’t watch The Good Wife but I have always been a big supporter of Matthew Perry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

Hasn’t Chris Messina submitted the season finale? His performance on that episode, though fairly strong, kinda got lost in the shuffle. Nomination? Probably (not as safe as having the season premiere as a submission). But to win? I don’t think so. Well, let’s wait and see the actual top 6.

What about Beau Bridges, who had four nominations in guest actor, either drama or comedy, over the past five years? The difference is those four noms were for shows that Emmy had recognized while White Collar has never scored Emmy noms so far, and his work on the latter is merely passable. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Raylan
    Topics:

i think Perry will win this one no doubt, Fox doesnt have a good as a tape as Perry. I also think Mykelti Williamson should be nominated, and so should Davies. I cannot believe Davies didnt win last year he had such a great tape but this year he doesnt give a performance like last year but he deserves to be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

Hasn’t Chris Messina submitted the season finale? His performance on that episode, though fairly strong, kinda got lost in the shuffle. Nomination? Probably (not as safe as having the season premiere as a submission). But to win? I don’t think so. Well, let’s wait and see the actual top 6./quote]

If this is true then I misspoke.  I thought he would go with the premiere.  Can’t think imagine why he didn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s sad that Alfred Molina didn’t submit for “Harry’s Law” this year. I think it could have been an easy nomination for him, especially with Paul McCrane winning last year. I have five of those six nominees in my final predictions (Dylan Baker replacing Fred Willard). I could see this going to one of the contenders from “The Good Wife.” Baker’s episode is the baitiest. Fox’s is good, but he’s been better in past showcases. Perry should have picked his first episode instead of second I think, but that might do the trick still. If Chris Messina won, that would be great. The season finale wouldn’t have been my first choice for him. There needed to be context for what happens with his character in some of the eariler episodes from the season.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

This category is depressing. I was impressed by Matthew Perry, but he made the same mistake MJF did and submitted a poor showcase (though w/MF+JF, I have never thought his work was Emmy worthy). That is too bad about Messina going w/the finale except for the season opener. If he were to get in and submitted that instead, he would’ve won.

Right now I have Bridges, Fox, Morse (-_-), and Perry making the cut in the spots of “obvious”. As for the newcomers I have he two scene stealers from the acclaimed AMC dramas. They are both risky choices, but why not. I feel Ben Feldman and Mark Margolis could ride the wave of their show’s nomination sweep. “Mad Men” is more of a realistc one, while “Breaking Bad” is the one I want and feel is worthier of a nomination sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    sorcery
    Topics:

I could see Jere Burns representing Justified here. He was nominated for Best Guest Performer at the Critics’ Choice TV Awards. Neal McDonough has squandered his chances by submitting in the too-crowded Supporting Actor field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

If Burns makes it, I will squeal in joy. Right now, I have Davies in my predictions, but if Burns joins him, along with Mykelti Williamson and Mark Margolis, I’ll be a happy camper. And yes, McDonough would have a better shot in guest. Martindale could get into supporting actress because there was less competition and more acclaim for her performance. McDonough hasn’t quite recieved the same accolades, and he has to face Goggins, whereas Martindale didn’t have to worry about her costars making it in as they had no chance. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.