2011 Emmy Ballot Reactions & Comments

Home // Forums // Television // 2011 Emmy Ballot Reactions & Comments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

2011 Emmy ballots will be released Monday evening (sometime after 6:00 PT).  Please place all reactions and comments in this thread.  DO NOT start other threads on this subject for at least a couple of days.

Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder why the “Dancing with the Stars” hosts submit separately. Other shows with multiple hosts (“MythBusters,” “Top Gear,” etc.) submit their hosts together. Don’t they realize they can do that too?

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting omissions in Writing:

Boardwalk Empire offers up seven contenders for Best Writing in a Drama, but they do not include the Pilot episode. Strange, since I thought that would be the one most likely nominated.

The Event, which doesn’t stand a chance of getting nominated here anyway, at least played it smart and only put down one script for voting — the pilot, “I Haven’t Told You Everything,” which is still a decent episode if you consider that the show wasn’t completely ridiculous at that point.

In comedy, Raising Hope only has one, the pilot episode. I thought that “Say Cheese” would be down, but it wasn’t. Hopefully Greg Garcia gets nominated in this category, if not in directing.

I don’t know if the show did it this way last year with “The Son,” but Friday Night Lights only put down “Always,” which is the episode I’ve heard the most about anyway. Same with Fringe and “Entrada,” though that series also has “Lysergic Acid Diethylamide” down too.

The Killing unwisely put down all of their first nine episodes. For a show like this, which might not be an Emmy darling to begin with, it might’ve been better to narrow down the list. The pilot is the only one that really stands a chance, if you ask me. Granted, Mad Men has eight scripts down for voting, but they also have a past history of, you know, winning.

I like Rubicon but 8 contenders? No way. They should’ve topped it at three. For a show that is cancelled, fewer episodes to vote for increase your chances substantially. You’re lucky if you even get a nod, so don’t make it hard on yourself.

I always love seeing shows like R.L. Stine’s Haunting Hour on these lists. They haven’t got a shot in the dark, but you can’t knock ’em for trying.

WHOA! Biggest shocker – Terriers had two contenders down. And neither one of them is “Change Partners.” Holy crap. That would’ve been their biggest contender, and instead they stick with “Hail Mary” and “Pimp Daddy.” They don’t even have the pilot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

Greg Kinnear and Barry Pepper both Lead for The Kennedys? I thought for sure that Pepper would join Wilkinson in Supporting, where they both have a better chance. Then again, after the reviews this mini-series got…

ReplyCopy URL
    Katie
    Topics:

Greg Kinnear and Barry Pepper [b]both[/b] Lead for [i]The Kennedys[/i]? I thought for sure that Pepper would join Wilkinson in Supporting, where they both have a better chance. Then again, after the reviews this mini-series got…

call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure this is a non-issue

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Spenser_Davis”]

Greg Kinnear and Barry Pepper [b]both[/b] Lead for [i]The Kennedys[/i]? I thought for sure that Pepper would join Wilkinson in Supporting, where they both have a better chance. Then again, after the reviews this mini-series got…

call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure this is a non-issue

[/quote]

You’re crazy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Katie
    Topics:

fair enough, as I’m absolutely fine with being proved wrong.  🙂

We’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
    Karl William
    Participant
    Topics:

For Modern Family

Nathan Lane was submitted (Yay!)

Nolan Gould and Ariel Winter submitted (Yay!)

Sarah Highland and Rico Rodrigues not submitted (Aw!)

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

It always cracks me up seeing some of the people shows who submit with no shot, but I can’t blame them for trying.  And how completely under the radar shows will blow their chances, remote as they were, in categories likle Writing by submitting eight episodes instead of picking one or two.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

A couple of observations about the longform categories:

– The British are stingy. Only two actors were submitted for “Sherlock: A Study in Pink” (no Phil Davis!), and only two actors were submitted for “Luther.” “Downton Abbey” submitted only one name per category, which means Michelle Dockery, who has probably the biggest role in the film, wasn’t submitted anywhere. That’s a shame.

– I think Michelle Dockery was left off because she’s not as big a name as the women who were submitted for “Downton Abbey.” I think the same thing happened to Natalia Worner, who I think gave the best performance in “The Pillars of the Earth” but was left off the ballot. Instead, Alison Pill was submitted, though I don’t think she did much in the miniseries.

– “Any Human Heart” for some reason submitted Hayley Atwell as a lead actress even though she’s in less than half of the miniseries. Now she competes against her performance in “The Pillars of the Earth,” where she really is a lead. But Matthew MacFadyen was submitted supporting for “Heart,” even though he has the most screentime, more than Atwell or Jim Broadbent.

Jon Hamm submitted for his guest spot on “30 Rock,” which I’m pretty sure is just his minute or so (or maybe even less) during the live show. If he gets nominated again, it’ll be ridiculous, but now I have a sinking feeling he will be.

Rebecca Creskoff submitted supporting for “Hung” but didn’t submit for her guest work on “Justified.” A shame, I think she was nomination worthy on “Justified.”

– Ditto Rosemarie DeWitt. She’s on the ballot for “United States of Tara,” but not for her guest role on “Mad Men.”

– “MythBusters” only submitted Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage as hosts. Last year, I believe all five MythBusters were on the ballot together.

ReplyCopy URL
    Slam
    Topics:

Calista Flockhart returns to the lead actress drama category after her step down to supporting last year. She was non-existent for over half the season. No Patricia Wettig for “B&S”

I knew this was coming, and I’m not all the way caught up on “Game Of Thrones”, but Lena Headey submitting lead is crazy. She appears in roughly one scene per episode of the first 6 episodes.

Taylor Kitsch, billed as guest, appearing in only 5/13 episodes of “FNL”‘s season submits supporting.

Neither Ellen Burtstyn or Bruce Dern submit their strongest episode as guests on “Big Love”, IMO.

Allana Ubach submits guest for ‘Hung’. Despite appearing in only 1 scene for the episode, I have her down as the MVP of the episode. She was hysterical.

Doug Savant pulls a Rob Lowe?(minus the star-power of course…. alas, a non-issue.)

Darren Criss was very good and quite endearing in “Silly Love Songs”, would’ve made a better submission for him. Also a stronger episode.

Why is Glee’s “The Substitute” on the ballot so much? Paltrow, Writing, Directing. That was probably the worst episode of the season, IMO. Are they counting on Paltrow’s name to pull nominations? She is name-dropped in the episode descriptions. 

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

It always cracks me up seeing some of the people shows who submit with no shot, but I can’t blame them for trying.

Doesn’t every ATAS member get one free entry?  (I was going to comment about how Betty White may not have entered for her guest appearance on Community because she already had two other entries, but I think she can afford the $200 fee.)

And speaking of multiple writing/directing entries, why does Family Guy bother entering as a comedy series if none of its writers or directors will enter in the Comedy Series Writing/Directing category?  (Meanwhile, I notice that, for whatever reason, while FG can’t enter as both a comedy series and an animated program, Community can (with its animated Christmas show – which, if I remember correctly, was not titled as a “Christmas Special”).

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan_Fernand
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow Parks and Recreation and The Killing really did themselves no favors with the amount of episodes they submitted for writing and directing.  I think it is safe to say that their chances in those categories are gone now.

I also think it is safe to say that Boardwalk Empire will lead regular series (and has a chance to lead all programs) in nominations.  In many of the tech categories they submitted two different episodes and the voters will probably just see Boardwalk Empire and vote both episodes in. 

Also The Walking Dead submitted perfectly in Prosthetic Makeup.  They submitted two episodes (Days Gone Bye, which might be the biggest lock for a nomination in any category this year, and Guts, which had that really well done work on that one zombie that Rick had to hit with a “shovel” to escape from the tank).  They might have been able to get three nominations but it would have been a stretch.  At least they will get two in that category.  Also, with some poor submitting by Terrence Winter and Mad Men being more vulnerable this year (so maybe only 1 nomination in the category) can Frank Darabont get into Drama Writing on name recognition?

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow Parks and Recreation and The Killing really did themselves no favors with the amount of episodes they submitted for writing and directing.  I think it is safe to say that their chances in those categories are gone now.

Submitting too many episodes sometimes hurts, but not always. Both “Parks” and “The Killing” are on Emmy’s radar, and both shows have one or two episodes that voters may single out even with multiple choices. For “The Killing” especially, pilots are usually popular with voters when nominating a new show.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: 2011 Emmy Ballot Reactions & Comments

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.