Home Forums Television 2013 Emmy Rules Released

2013 Emmy Rules Released

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • outsider
    Topics:

http://www.emmys.tv/awards/65th-primetime-emmy-awards

The Academy has released the Rules & Procedures for this year’s Emmy Awards.

It’s official. There will be two acting categories in the miniseries/ tv movie field (Actor & Actress) and according to this, they will have five nominees each:

“In general, there will be five nominations in each category and area (an exception being comedy and drama series, miniseries/movie, variety series, reality and reality-competition programs and comedy and drama series lead, supporting and guest performers where there will be six nominations in each category).”

Other changes:

– Animation writers can enter in the writing categories (comedy series or miniseries/ tv movie).

– Stunt Coordination now has two categories: one is for Comedy Series or Variety Programs and the other is for Drama Series, Miniseries or Movies.

– Besides the Documentary or Nonfiction Series category, there will be a new category for Informational Series or Special.

– Children’s Program and Children’s Nonfiction, Reality or Reality – Competition Program have been merged into a single category: Children’s Program. However, “scripted movies and reality programming are eligible in the movie/miniseries category or an appropriate reality category.”

Placeholder
    Participant
    Topics:

Is there reason for the move to six nominees besides a ratings grab after the 2008 dibacle? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The combined telefilm acting categories were supposed to have six nominees each. That’s even worse for the supporting contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

The combined telefilm acting categories were supposed to have six nominees each. That’s even worse for the supporting contenders.

Hopefully there is a lot of backlash aganist this decision and they return to normal. 

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

According to the latest revision of the rules, Actor/ Actress in a Miniseries or Movie will have six nominees:

“In general, there will be five nominations in each category and area (an exception being comedy and drama series, miniseries/movie, variety series, reality and reality-competition programs and performers (excluding host) where there will be six nominations in each category).”

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

“In general, there will be five nominations in each category and area (an exception being comedy and drama series, miniseries/movie, variety series, reality and reality-competition programs and performers (excluding host) where there will be six nominations in each category).”

The Voiceover Performance category is still limited to five nominees (except in the case of a tie, presumably).

ReplyCopy URL
    espnfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, count me as someone who is still hoping that stupid rule change in the tv movie/nini-series acting categories will not be permanent and will someday be changed back.  If they are really trying to limit or reduce the amount of time the telecast takes, there has to be better ways to go about it.

While we can and should make a stink about it here, I really hope the Screen Actors Guild makes a stink about it.  While I know it was not the same thing, I remember the writers community and guild made a stink about it when the decided to remove the writers awards from the main telecast.  If anything, what they are doing with the tv movie/mini-series category reduction is a lot worse.  Not only are they not broadcasting it, they are eliminating it entirely. 

I cannot help but feel bad for all the lesser known actors and actresses who are going to miss out on a nomination in favor of bigger, but not neccessarily more deserving, stars.  The only person I can think of right now would be Lily Rabe from season 2 of AHS, who is truly deserving of a nomination, but will now likely miss out.

I am surprised the acting community has not stepped up in protest of this change, but I hope they will say something about this in the future.

ReplyCopy URL
    SaraR
    Topics:

^It would be ironic if the SAG made a stink about it considering they lump ALL TV performances into one category for their awards: longform, miniseries, leading, supporting.

I’m really not sure why they’re doing it. It would be an extra, what, 10 minutes, at the most?

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really not sure why they’re doing it. It would be an extra, what, 10 minutes, at the most?

Here’s my crazy conspiracy theory as to why: with two fewer categories, it opens the door to put all of the Variety Series/Special categories (that is, the “show” and writing categories) into the Creative Arts ceremony, rather than have two in each, and move the four Guest Performer categories to the main awards.  I wonder how many people complain that they never get to hear the Guest winners give acceptance speeches.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teproc
    Topics:

I think the reason they’re doing it is that 90% of the spectators don’t care about the Miniseries/Movie categories, and honestly they’re right. Hell, I don’t really care about those and I’m posting on this forum ! So yeah, it’s unfair for the actors who are going to miss nominations to movie stars, but it’ll make for a better ceremony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Tom sent the Academy a message asking them why the movie acting categories would only be 5 nominees when they promised 6 a few months ago. All of a sudden the rules have changed again today, so maybe we had a big impact.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom sent the Academy a message asking them why the movie acting categories would only be 5 nominees when they promised 6 a few months ago. All of a sudden the rules have changed again today, so maybe we had a big impact.

Get Tom to speak about the supporting categories and how they should exist. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I personally think it’s the rare TV movie/miniseries that people care about at all and am fine with 12 instead of 20 nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    sorcery
    Topics:

I personally think it’s the rare TV movie/miniseries that people care about at all and am fine with 12 instead of 20 nominees.

The Emmys should be rewarding good TV and not trying to please and appease the masses (or, more truthfully, the broadcast networks).

There is no longer a mass audience for the vast majority of shows the Emmys are nominating, not just miniseries or movies. Mad Men had an audience of about 1 million viewers when it won back in 2008 (The Sopranos, despite being on cable, was a massive hit with a lot of viewers). The Emmys (and networks) just have to accept that cult is the new mass.

ReplyCopy URL
    SaraR
    Topics:

[quote=”jjjmoss”]I personally think it’s the rare TV movie/miniseries that people care about at all and am fine with 12 instead of 20 nominees.

The Emmys should be rewarding good TV and not trying to please and appease the masses (or, more truthfully, the broadcast networks).

There is no longer a mass audience for the vast majority of shows the Emmys are nominating, not just miniseries or movies. Mad Men had an audience of about 1 million viewers when it won back in 2008 (The Sopranos, despite being on cable, was a massive hit with a lot of viewers). The Emmys (and networks) just have to accept that cult is the new mass.[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I think the original comment was the more the sentiment that, because there are just not as many TV movies or miniseries being made today, there are just as many actresses and actors to choose from to populate 20 spots. Some years may be outliers–this year, in particular, is shaping up to be very competitive–but what about the years where there is a dearth of truly deserving nominees? Making a category more exclusive encourages greater quality and competition. How exciting would it be to have a category where the race is so competitive that any of the six nominees could be the winner?

I’d also disagree that the Emmys are catering to the broadcast networks. In the drama categories especially there has been a steady push toward cable shows and away from the network dramas. Overwhelmingly the stuff that’s on cable is just better quality than what’s on broadcast. I think the networks need to accept that their model of doing business is just outdated and no longer successful. When was the last time a broadcast network aired a successful TV movie or miniseries?

I also don’t think that Emmy viewership hinges dramatically on whether the nominated shows are popular hits. At least not as much as the Oscars telecast does anyway. Because while niche cable shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Homeland are nominated on the drama side, the comedy side still has mass appeal nominees like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.