Home Forums Television 2014 CRITICS CHOICE Television Awards

2014 CRITICS CHOICE Television Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 224 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
24Emmy
Riley
Halo_Insider
  • outsider
    Topics:

What are your predictions for this year’s Critics’ Choice Television Awards? What are some possible trends we should be anticipating? Here is the calendar:

Eligibility period: June 1, 2013 – May 31, 2014.

May 1, 2014 – Nominating Committees begin consideration

May 27, 2014 – Nominating Committees render recommendations

May 28, 2014 – Critics’ Choice Television Awards nominees announced

June 9, 2014 – CCTA Most Exciting New Series winners announced

June 15, 2014 – Final ballots go out to the BTJA members

June 17, 2014 – Deadline for returning final ballots

June 19, 2014 – 4th Annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards (televised on the CW, hosted by Cedric the Entertainer)

24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m curious to see where they place Fargo, Orange Is the New Black, Shameless, and True Detective. Also, how those shows do overall with nominations.

Are they adding any new categories this year? They don’t have a cast award yet like the film version.

I expect Extant, Flash, and Gotham to make the CCTA Most Exciting New Series list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

I expect an increase in nominations for TGW, Breaking Bad and The Americans, and probably Mad Men too. I can surely see many nominations for OITNB and Fargo, and Masters Of Sex too. As for True Detective I think if compared to Fargo, the latter has greater critical affair though the former is more emmy friendly, so I see it performing as HoC did last year. I can see Brooklyn Nine Nine do well, as well nominations for The Mindy Project, Mom and Sillicon Valley (in supporting actor), and a Veep bump too. I see a drop in nominations for New Girl, Homeland, Parks and Recreation and TBBT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

How many nominees per category?
    If it’s only five, is gonna be fun to see which one is left out of the drama. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

They do 6 per category, but unlike the Emmy’s are capable of letting go of the unworthy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Critics%27_Choice_Television_Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

I think they will place those shows in the same fields as the Emmys in an effort to remain relevant and be able to say “see? we predicted correctly”. So “True Detective” will be in drama, “Orange Is the New Black” in comedy and “Fargo” in miniseries/ tv movie.

However, I expect them to keep “Shameless” in the drama field, since they’ve already nominated William H. Macy and Emmy Rossum.

Of course, they’re not above doing crazy things like nominating Sarah Paulson and Sienna Miller in supporting actress last year.

Those are good predictions for New Series. The list will probably include “The Strain” and “Red Band Society”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

They should start doing writing and directing categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

They do 6 per category, but unlike the Emmy’s are capable of letting go of the unworthy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Critics%27_Choice_Television_Awards

Oh, I see. Then I’m pretty sure the six will be BB, TD, HoC, GoT, MM and TGW.
    Unless they kick HoC to the curb and put Hannibal there, that would be awesome. 

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Awardzilla”]They do 6 per category, but unlike the Emmy’s are capable of letting go of the unworthy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Critics%27_Choice_Television_Awards

Unless they kick HoC to the curb and put Hannibal there, that would be awesome. [/quote]

Why Mad Men? They already dropped it last year. Why would they bring it back?

Last year’s nominees:

The Americans (FX)
    * Breaking Bad (AMC)
    Downton Abbey (PBS)
    * Game of Thrones (HBO)
    The Good Wife (CBS)
    Homeland (Showtime)

Downton Abbey and Homeland will be dropped. True Detective and probably Masters of Sex will replace them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I think they will place those shows in the same fields as the Emmys in an effort to remain relevant and be able to say “see? we predicted correctly”. So “True Detective” will be in drama, “Orange Is the New Black” in comedy and “Fargo” in miniseries/ tv movie.

For the most part, the Critics’ Choice brand exists to predict the bigger awards.  They seem to have far more of a personality on the television side, but I expect them to adhere to Emmy categorization for the most part.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

I think newer shows like “The Americans” and “Masters of Sex” have a better chance than “Mad Men” which has already been dropped and is airing a truncated season.

“House of Cards” was left out last year despite huge hype and nominations for Kevin Spacey and Corey Stoll, so I think that’s not a sure bet either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Alienware”][quote=”Awardzilla”]They do 6 per category, but unlike the Emmy’s are capable of letting go of the unworthy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Critics%27_Choice_Television_Awards

Unless they kick HoC to the curb and put Hannibal there, that would be awesome. [/quote]

Why Mad Men? They already dropped it last year. Why would they bring it back?

Last year’s nominees:

The Americans (FX)
    * Breaking Bad (AMC)
    Downton Abbey (PBS)
    * Game of Thrones (HBO)
    The Good Wife (CBS)
    Homeland (Showtime)

Downton Abbey and Homeland will be dropped. True Detective and probably Masters of Sex will replace them.[/quote]

Critics have been raving about Season 7 thus far.
    My guess would be that they have more of a clean slate mindset coming into each year of nominations than the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

What about the supporting categories in comedy? Last year none of the 12 nominees went on to receive an Emmy nomination (and only Max Greenfield is an Emmy nominee). I liked their willingness to spotlight underappreciated performers, but some of their choices were strange. They went to a lot of trouble to leave Ty Burrell out and they managed to nominate two actresses from “The Big Bang Theory” without including Mayim Bialik.

This year, I think they will nominate at least one Emmy nominee. Allison Janney has to make it, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Should be exciting to see their nominees.

FYC: Rick & Morty for Animated Series. Make it so! 

ReplyCopy URL
    James Coughlin
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama Series
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Masters of Sex
    The Americans
    The Good Wife
    True Detective

Comedy Series
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Louie
    Parks and Recreation
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Middle
    Veep

Drama Actor
    Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
    Woody Harrelson, True Detective
    Matthew McConaughey, True Detective
    Matthew Rhys, The Americans
    Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
    Michael Sheen, Masters of Sex

Drama Actress
    Lizzy Caplan, Masters of Sex
    Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel
    Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
    Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
    Keri Russell, The Americans
    Robin Wright, House of Cards

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 224 total)
Reply To: 2014 CRITICS CHOICE Television Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.