Home Forums Television 2014 Emmy Awards to Air August 25… A Monday!

2014 Emmy Awards to Air August 25… A Monday!

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Deadline is reporting that the 2014 Emmy Awards will air on Monday, August 25.  That’s almost a full month earlier than usual, plus it’s being pushed out of its usual Sunday slot.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/primetime-emmys-to-air-on-aug-25-and-its-a-monday/

Thoughts on this bizarre development? Sad to see a whole month of Emmy Derby go away, or glad?

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

Placeholder
    Participant
    Topics:

It must be on NBC this year then.

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m actually quite glad. It’s out of the weird month when new shows and old shows are airing new episodes (September) and we won’t have a situation like Breaking Bad, where an entire season of a show won’t contend until a full year afterward.

Plus, the last 3 weeks or so just turned into derivative arguments around here. I’m thankful for the shortened derby season! It will make it even better. 

Now, Monday I’m not so sure about… 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

“We won’t have a situation like Breaking Bad, where an entire season of a show won’t contend until a full year afterward.”

How would the change affect this? 

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The August date does seem a bit more appropriate, considering all network series are just about to premiere mid-September.

Monday night seems like a bizarre choice… Deadline notes that it has been forty years since the Emmy Awards were aired on a Monday.  I wonder if NBC will see an uptick in viewership by moving to a less-competitive night, or if viewers will forget the night change, etc.

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

NBC has aired the show in August their past few years to stop the Emmys from bumping out Sunday night football. I personally think August is a better time to have the show and should be the new normal.

But Monday is a strange move, though not unprecedented (the Oscars used to be held on Monday nights in their earlier decades). But still, wowza. I wonder what the ratings will look like.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Late August was expected because the Emmys are on NBC, but whoa Monday? Hmm. I expect that to change.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

And the Creative Arts Emmys will be held on Saturday, August 16 which seems really early.

Will the nominations be announced on early July or will they move them to late June?

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

I hope for still a July announcement of nominations… Last year’s Emmy derby season seemed to drag on like nobody’s business. Remember the constant Bowen-Krakowski fights and the God knows what else went on… 

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Jacobsen
    Participant
    Topics:

I always prefer when NBC has the Emmys because they air in August instead of late September. It just feels like a natural end to the previous TV season before the early September premieres. Monday is an interesting change as it’ll feel weird to not be stressing about my predictions on a Sunday when I have the day off but I too prefer a shorter derby season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

They said they moved it to Monday because the MTV Movie Awards are on August 24th, and the next weekend is Labor Day weekend. But I think the Monday thing is ridiculous. Aren’t shows usually filming on Mondays? So tv stars are supposed to go from a day of filming their series to attending the Emmy’s? I don’t see why they wouldn’t just move it a week earlier if the MTV Movie Awards are a problem.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

A Monday?! Now this is a change I kinda like. They should have moved it to a Friday though.

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

”We won’t have a situation like Breaking Bad, where an entire season of a show won’t contend until a full year afterward.”

How would the change affect this? 

Only 3 episodes, instead of 7, would have aired. 
    That’s the difference. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

This shift from the usual late September slot
    is not a surprise given that the last two times that the Peacock net’s
    turn came up on the wheel, it also moved the kudocast back to August so
    as not to conflict with its ratings hit “Sunday Night Football.”  However, in a real headscratcher, NBC is airing the Emmys on a Monday
    … because of an NFL pre-season game on the Sunday night.  Why not just air the Emmys on a Monday in September then?

Hmm, this does not make any sense.  I wonder if we have not heard the last of this.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.