Home Forums Television 2014 Emmys: Comedy Categories (Part 4)

2014 Emmys: Comedy Categories (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue the discussion here.

Ghost
    Topics:

Regarding an OITNB shutout, the only way that happens is if voters think it’s more dramatic than comedic, and even then it’ll still get nominated in at least Actress and/or Supporting Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    IEnjoyTV
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a shame that Ellen Burstyn will probably get in for her nothing role on Louie over Sarah Baker and Pamela Adlon, who both had superior material.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Re the Modern Family supporting actor race:

What makes everyone so sure Ty Burrell is getting back in so easily? He won in 2011, he’s been nominated ever since, but IMO Julie Bowen and Burrell had their weakest season material-wise this year. I can easily see him being snubbed, especially since Stonestreet, Ferguson and O’Neill are all heavily involved with this critical wedding storyline this season… That’s also why Vergara and more to the point, Bowen, are both vulnerable too. Burrell is as big a clown as Stonestreet is on that show, and no one saw the Stonestreet snub coming last year, so why not Burrell this year? Seems the most logical one to omit, since the other three had meatier storylines, especially near the end of the season.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Someone brought this up very recently and my answer was the Screen Actors Guild win because it proves that he can do very well in a straight popular vote, despite being a supporting performance by a non-movie star in an aging series.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m only predicting Ty Burrell and Ed O’Neill this year.

I did not watch Modern Family this year. I heard that Stonestreet and Ferguson actually had a lot to do this season. But I think Stonestreet will stay snubbed, and Ferguson will finally join him.  

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

^ I find that hard to believe with the season that has just aired. Any other season, I’d say fine, but no way, not with this big a statement from the series… Ferguson and Stonestreet are the locks IMO. O’Neill and Burrell are both vulnerable. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Reiza Rinah Ray
    Topics:

My “big time” bet on the Emmy:

For Best Comedy, Moidern Family should submit “Suddenly, Last Summer”, “The Old Man & The Tree”, “Spring-A-Ding-Fling, “Last Vegas”, “Message Received” and “The Wedding: Part 2”. However, I know they are submitting both “The Weddings” as their third tape, and Vegas, Received, Last Summer and some other for thier tapes. If they do as I say, they have it in the bag.

The acting, though, I think Modern Family has run out of great one, well, except Ed O’Neill, Sofia Vergara and Jesse Tyler Fergusson, whom, alongside Ty Burrell, has four nominations, as well as Vergara and Julie Bowen. Bowen, though, was somewhat great sometimes, and not-so-great sometimes. Ed O’Neill probably deserves this win more than anyone, and yes, I am talking to Tony Hale for Veep, who won shockingly. I had my eyes on Burrell last year and Mayim Bialik as well. But this year, I think O’Neill deserves the win, alongside Mayim Bialik.

In the Leading categories, I thought Matt LeBlanc had it in the bag, but I knew he will never win since he never got one for Friends. Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey left last year without winning again, but I swore Fey was superb the last season of 30 Rock, but the again, she submitted not her greatest episode. Julia Louis-Drefuss, my own opinion, as well as the other ladies, were so lucky Laura Linney and The Big C got only four episodes, since Laura Linney was great in her last season., what with her dying (she also snapped the award from Jessica Lange’s grasp for American Horror Story: Asylum). This year, I think the Academy should finally award Amy Poehler a win, since she has done so much for nothing, well, Golden Globe. 

Saturday Night Live should get a nod for the four acting catagories (Supporting and Guest). Especially Kate McKinnon and some actor (since Bill Hader left). Hosts Lena Dunham and Drake should be considered wins.

Writing and Directing this year should really go to Modern Family (Directing- “The Wedding”) and Louie (Writing- “So Did The Fat Lady”). 

FINAL DECISION AND BET FOR ME:

Comedy: Veep or Modern Family
    Lead Actor: Louis C.K. (Louie) or Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
    Lead Actress: Amy Poehler (Parks and Receations) or Julia Louis-Dreyfuss (Veep)
    Supporting Actor: Ed O’Neill (Modern Family) or Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    Supporting Actress: Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Thoery) or Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
    Writing: Louie or Parks or Recreations
    Directing: Modern Family or Veep 

If the Academy loves Veep, then it would win 6 Emmys (Series, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Writing and Directing). But I wouldn’tbet on that if Modern Family and Orange Is The New Black submits smartly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m only predicting Ty Burrell and Ed O’Neill this year.

I did not watch Modern Family this year. I heard that Stonestreet and Ferguson actually had a lot to do this season. But I think Stonestreet will stay snubbed, and Ferguson will finally join him.  

Nah they’ll both get in. But only because of the wedding. Which I think Fergason is more of a contender then people think.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”GoMe91″]I’m only predicting Ty Burrell and Ed O’Neill this year.

Nah they’ll both get in. But only because of the wedding. Which I think Fergason is more of a contender then people think. [/quote]

I can’t predict all four MF actors. Who do you think is the most vulnerable to be snubbed? O’Neill? 

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Ferguson could actually indeed win with the double wedding episode… If all 4 get in, it will be so interesting to see how they submit. Because that wedding episode will do wonders for Stonestreet, O’Neill and Ferguson. Remember their potential submissions will be much stronger than last year, so I could see voters going back to a MF win this year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Like I have said before, “Modern Family”‘s losing Eric Stonestreet last year showed me that it is the beginning of the end. Luckily for the show it had its best season ever and has been a blockbuster hit in syndication. Could they gain the nominations they missed out last year? Sure, but I’m predicting that it’ll stay out of the writing category, still have three actors nominated (O’Neill out, Stonestreet in), and will lose an actress (Bowen).

ReplyCopy URL
    Duke Silver
    Topics:

Could someone answer a question for me?

I don’t watch Modern Family, but based on the praise some episodes have received, I watched the four episodes that users on this site seemed to like the most: Las Vegas, Message Receieved, and both parts of The Wedding.  

I have to say that both Las Vegas and Message Receieved were great episodes. I was impressed by them; I liked the directorial ambitiousness of the former, and the heart of the latter. If the whole season had this quality, I would probably be okay with the show winning some major awards. I am inclined to believe that these were only a few bright spots in an otherwise middling season, but that’s beside the point. My actual question is: why is everyone praising The Wedding so much?

I watched the episode with probably too high of expectations and was left incredibly underwhelmed. The first part was kind of a mess, focusing much more time and attention on storylines other than the wedding itself, storylines that weren’t nearly as good as the main one. The second part was much better about focusing on the wedding, something that I appreciated. The actual wedding was fine, nothing spectacular, but still better than I know Modern Family was the past few seasons. I feel that if a lot of the crap B and C storylines were cut out, the episode could have been a tight-paced half hour that had a whole lot more time to pay attention to what really mattered: the wedding. 

Is the normalcy with which it portrayed a same-sex wedding the reason it gets so much praise? Do people think that these episodes are just that damned good? Of the two other “wedding” episodes I have seen this season (Veep and Parks and Rec), this is definitely the weakest. Why would two episodes that are only okay make a lot of people think that Modern Family will suddenly return to Emmy categories where is has been snubbed, and have an overall increase in nominations? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Lol, I like how the phrase “suddenly be back to its former awards dominance” implies that it’s not been doing well at awards.

It’s only the reigning Directing and Comedy Emmy winner, the reigning PGA winner, and the reigning DGA Actor and Ensemble winner. But no, for it to win again would be a sudden change back to its formerly doing well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Duke Silver
    Topics:

Lol, I like how the phrase “suddenly be back to its former awards dominance” implies that it’s not been doing well at awards.

It’s only the reigning Directing and Comedy Emmy winner, the reigning PGA winner, and the reigning DGA Actor and Ensemble winner. But no, for it to win again would be a sudden change back to its formerly doing well.

I’m going to reword that, because I meant only with the Emmys. Thought that was implied.

I have seen some people thinking the wedding episode will get into writing, some say that all actors will get back in who were in last year, and some say that snubbed Modern Family actors will also return.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
Reply To: 2014 Emmys: Comedy Categories (Part 4)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.