Home Forums Television 2014 Emmy’s: Drama Categories Part 4

2014 Emmy’s: Drama Categories Part 4

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 317 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Riley
Marcus Snowde..
Icky
  • Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue…

Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

I wanted to ask does anyone know of any consecutive winners to be snubbed in their next eligible year? Multiple winners Cryer and Stonestreet were snubbed last year. Yes I am wondering whether it is remotely possible for Danes to be snubbed, and I’m only curious because I don’t see much buzz for her, and I could see Showtime (successfully) pushing Caplan instead (aside: not a Danes hater btw! Loved S1&2!)

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

For the record, I never said season 3 of Justified was bad but I can’t ignore the fact that a lot of people felt the drop off from season 2 to 3 was considerable.  I still thought Justified was one of the best Dramas of the season that year but unfortunately I am not God.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

At least you got to meet God aka Aaron Paul. 

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m a little disappointed with his film choices lately.

ReplyCopy URL
    Karl William
    Participant
    Topics:

http://smashcutreviews.com/?p=1304
    Where does everyone think Peter Dinklage is at now? I mean, “The Laws of Gods and Men” could rival Paul’s “Confessions”, but there is a chance that he gets an even stronger episode this season. It’s been a while since Game of Thrones won a major award, so maybe this is it. My supporting actor predicitons are above, but it’s still that last spot that confounds me. I can’t see Jon Voight being nominated, but I can’t see Jeffrey Wright getting in either.

http://smashcutreviews.com/?p=1291
    In regards to last year winners being snubbed, I think Jeff Daniels is definitely on the chopping block, especially with the True Detective guys in play. I also see a very small possibility of Merritt Weaver being snubbed, but I think as of now she’s still in.

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Danes will be snubbed. In fact, I could see Lizzy Caplan AND Danes getting nominations, although a higher likelihood exists for the latter. Just because Season 3 of Homeland wasn’t well-received critically, she still put on an excellent performance throughout. It depends on which episode she submits. I think “The Star” or “Uh..Oh..Aw” would make solid submissions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s been enough Homeland backlash/indifference that Danes could get snubbed. Despite how I felt about Homeland’s third season Danes I felt gave the female drama lead performance of the year and can only be surpassed by Maslany. But how people feel about a series very much comes into play when considering whether someone will return. I’m sure there’s a decent section of voters who feel Danes already has two wins and Homeland is no longer worthy, so not move on? Wright is the only sure thing in that category. This is a completely different scenario than Sedgwick. It’d be a bit more similar to Margulies’ snub last year if she misses the cut. 

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

^valid argument, but I still don’t see a snub for Claire Danes. Elisabeth Moss has more of a chance at being snubbed than Claire Danes- girl’s got nothing in the first 5 of 7 episodes. Maybe “A Day’s Work” or “The Monolith”. Hoping she has something to submit in these last 2 episodes. But then again, she didn’t have a lot of strong material in season 6 either and still got a Lead nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I wanted to ask does anyone know of any consecutive
    winners to be snubbed in their next eligible year? Multiple winners
    Cryer and Stonestreet were snubbed last year. Yes I am wondering whether
    it is remotely possible for Danes to be snubbed, and I’m only curious
    because I don’t see much buzz for her, and I could see Showtime
    (successfully) pushing Caplan instead (aside: not a Danes hater btw!
    Loved S1&2!)

Three-time consecutive winner Jeremy Piven and
    four-time consecutive winner Jeff Probst immediately come to mind.

Where does everyone think Peter Dinklage is at now? I mean, “The Laws of Gods and Men” could rival Paul’s “Confessions”, but there is a chance that he gets an even stronger episode this season. It’s been a while since Game of Thrones won a major award, so maybe this is it. My supporting actor predicitons are above, but it’s still that last spot that confounds me. I can’t see Jon Voight being nominated, but I can’t see Jeffrey Wright getting in either.

I have Paul winning for now.  He has edged out more buzzed competition before in Giancarlo Esposito, “Confessions” won the WGA Award, so the industry is really responding to the episode and I found Dinklage a bit excessively hammy.  I recently dropped Jim Carter and added Jon Voight.  Waterston and Patinkin did miss for their first seasons, but neither got a Globe or Satellite nomination either, whereas Voight got a Globe win and a Satellite nomination, so they are not as comparable as has been suggested.  Also, Showtime is giving Ray Donovan a big push, having sent out six episodes across two shipments to voters so far, so it would be weird for that not to pay off at all, given that Showtime is a network that voters respond to and Ray Donovan is not competitive in any other category, including the Creative Arts (well, maybe guest James Woods).  Also, as much as I was unenthused by the pilot, it was Showtime’s most watched ever and the show did a WGA New Series nomination.  I had been priding myself on predicting Jim Carter, but when I went to add Voight, I could not justify removing any of the other five guys, so I am now sadly in the same boat as all of you in underestimating Carter for the third year in a row.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

^valid argument, but I still don’t see a snub for Claire Danes. Elisabeth Moss has more of a chance at being snubbed than Claire Danes- girl’s got nothing in the first 5 of 7 episodes. Maybe “A Day’s Work” or “The Monolith”. Hoping she has something to submit in these last 2 episodes. But then again, she didn’t have a lot of strong material in season 6 either and still got a Lead nomination.

Moss or Washington or Margulies could be snubbed as well. And the snub could seem fairly random. That often is the case when the field is close. Someone could be snubbed for seemingly no good reason. Moss has the double nomination from last year and being nominated every year of MM with the exception of the first going for her. She probably won’t be worthy, but all the potential nominees (with the exception of Wright) have a decent amount going for them and against them. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghost
    Topics:

I need to watch Ray Donovan sometime to see if Jon Voight could make it in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

If Voight gets in, it’ll be due to name recognition. His performance is nothing special.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Not only is the acting middling the character is one of the broadest, most one-demisional caricatures on TV outside of genre fiction. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

Three-time consecutive winner Jeremy Piven and
    four-time consecutive winner Jeff Probst immediately come to mind.

Yes
    indeed thanks! But those circumstances were due to the former p*ssing
    off voters and the latter just winning too much (dare I dream the same
    fate for Modern Family!). Danes being snubbed would then mean I’m
    predicting Homeland to go from 5 actors nominated last year to 0 this
    year, so perhaps that too volatile, but not out of the question. I agree
    with Icky that all drama lead actresses but Wright could be snubbed,
    she’s the only one on a show that’s a lock for a series nomination.

Currently
    because of all that I’m hearing about Ray Donavan industry
    support, I have Voight in. That being said I can’t remember the last
    time a supporting actor has got in for season 1 like Patinkin,
    Waterston, Stoll and Micheal Pitt. Still I think that as Voight is the
    bigger deal than Schrieber he makes it in, same with what Dinklage (so I
    assume as non GoT viewer).

Last year, wasn’t Jim Carter the
    sole supporting actor submission for DA? This year he’s being submitted
    alongside another supporting player, so they might split Downton’s few
    remaining votes in this category now that buzz has worn. For that reason
    I have Voight only just sneaking in over him.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 317 total)
Reply To: 2014 Emmy’s: Drama Categories Part 4

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.