Home Forums Television 2014: The Year of the Repeat Winners (20/26).

2014: The Year of the Repeat Winners (20/26).

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Nessie
vinny
eastwest
  • Morgan Henard
    Topics:

We saw only two new acting winners:
    – Lead Actor in a Miniseries/TV-Movie: Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: His Last Vow
    – Supp. Actor in a Miniseries/TV-Movie: Martin Freeman, Sherlock: His Last Vow

And four other new winners:
    Miniseries: Fargo
    – Writing/Miniseries or TV-Movie: Steven Moffat, Sherlock: His Last Vow
    – Directing/Miniseries or TV-Movie: Colin Bucksey, Fargo
    – Directing/Drama: Cary Fukunaga, True Detective 

That leaves the following… 
    1. Drama Series: Breaking Bad (2nd)
    2. Lead Actor/Drama: Bryan Cranston (5th; later 6th)
    3. Lead Actress/Drama: Julianna Margulies (3rd)
    4. Supp. Actor/Drama: Aaron Paul (3rd)
    5. Supp. Actress/Drama: Anna Gunn (2nd)
    6. Writing/Drama: Moira Walley-Beckett, Breaking Bad (2nd; later 3rd)
    7. Comedy Series: Modern Family (5th)
    8. Lead Actor/Comedy: Jim Parsons (4th)
    9. Lead Actress/Comedy: Julia Louis-Dreyfus (5th)
    10. Supp. Actor/Comedy: Ty Burrell (2nd)
    11. Supp. Actress/Comedy: Allison Janney (6th)
    12. Writing/Comedy: Louis CK, Louie (6th)
    13. Directing/Comedy: Gail Mancuso, Modern Family (2nd)
    14. TV-Movie: The Normal Heart (2nd, for Ryan Murphy)
    15. Lead Actress/Miniseries or TV-Movie: Jessica Lange (3rd)
    16. Supp. Actress/Miniseries or TV-Movie: Kathy Bates (2nd) 
    17. Reality: The Amazing Race (10th)
    18. Variety Series: The Colbert Report (2nd)
    19. Variety Special Writing: Sarah Silverman, We Are Miracles (2nd, for Silverman)
    20. Variety Special Directing: Glenn Weiss, 67th Annual Tonys (11th, for Weiss)   

Is this year in the history-books the year with the most repeat-winners [that were televised]? Or is there another year where more than 20 winners were repeats?

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Silverman’s win……smh

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

I’ve been surprised by how much criticism there has been in the media about the Emmy winners and the fact the voters just seem to vote for whatever they liked LAST year. There was a very pointed article in The Wrap about it and several other websites are suggesting there should be new rules brought to bear to ensure that voters don’t just keep “re-electing incumbents”. Tiresome and not in TV’s best interests creatively as it is the new shows which will bring in more (and younger) viewers.

I imagine a number of A listers might be dissuaded by the fact that any A lister with a (currently active) movie career (Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange haven’t been getting leads in A list projects in decades) seems to automatically lose. That might be “protectionist” by long-term TV people who have no hope of making it in the cinema, but it certainly deprives audiences of potentially great work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

New shows automatically bring in more and younger viewers?

So if Silicon Valley and Brooklyn Nine Nine’s audiences had tuned into the Emmys, it would have been more helpful than Big Bang and Modern Family’s audiences tuning in? How…er, interesting.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

New shows automatically bring in more and younger viewers?

So if Silicon Valley and Brooklyn Nine Nine’s audiences had tuned into the Emmys, it would have been more helpful than Big Bang and Modern Family’s audiences tuning in? How…er, interesting.  

More interesting demographic for advertisers. 

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking at the list Morgan did, that is just crazy and valid at the same time. Crazy are the comedy categories and valid are the drama categories. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Cobalt Blue
    Topics:

Five of the six non-repeaters were in the miniseries/movie categories , which by definition should not be repeats.  Of course some recurring shows sneak into this category , and some actors in minis/movies could have won from previous projects like Kathy Bates, but the point is, those categories should not be repeating often; it’s not like a Cranston playing the same role every year.

If you omit those and just look at the drama, comedy, and variety categories, there was only ONE new winner.  That is pretty stunning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

One of the suggestions I saw on a website referred to the fact that Candice Bergen had “retired” her candidacy. Why keep rewarding someone for playing the same role? Additionally, sticking with one role (and becoming too identified with it) is a career killer. How many actors starring in long-running series actually have careers when they leave?

ReplyCopy URL
    Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m kind of torn about this.  I remember when Bergen did this after her fifth win.   I didn’t mind her wins at all, because at least they were spread out and not year after year ( and she did submit some strong episodes justifying her wins).   I did think she was classy to remove her name to give someone else a chance to win.   I do understand the Jim Parsons fatigue, but he does submit the types of tapes that voters like, and his competition has not been strong over the past three years (I will never get over him winning over Steve Carell’s final season, however).    I do wonder if Parsons would ever pull a Candace Bergen and bow out of the race, however.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: 2014: The Year of the Repeat Winners (20/26).

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.