2015 Emmy Awards: Drama Categories Part 3

Home // Forums // Television // 2015 Emmy Awards: Drama Categories Part 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 246 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue the discussion here.

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone January Jones could return to the Emmys this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Adam Rock
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still locked in on my 7 for Drama Series: 

1.House of Cards
    2.Game of Thrones
    3.Mad Men
    4.Downton Abbey
    5.Orange is the New Black
    6.Empire
    7.Better Call Saul 

Although I’m starting to think Homeland has a really good shot here.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone January Jones could return to the Emmys this year?

I hope so, but it will be hard. She hasn’t been nominated in five years. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions: Mad Men or Orange is the New Black / Jon Hamm vs. Kyle Chandler / Robin Wright vs Viola Davis / Jonathan Banks vs. Ben Mendelsohn / Lena Headey vs Uzo Aduba

Mad Men for writing, BCS for directing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Somnambulist
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be so bizarre for Better Call Saul to win directing–something its parent series, Breaking Bad, was unable to do over the course of its run. Neither has Mad Men, in fact.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Unless Homeland makes a comeback, I think it’s either BCS or MM (but Weiner winning for directing? maybe not). Boardwalk and GOT are right behind.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

I just have this feeling that the voters aren’t over Homeland. This season was pretty well liked critically and it seems that a lot of the guilds like it.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Battles for the Drama Categories in my opinion:

Mad Men vs Orange Is The New Black 
    Jon Hamm vs Kevin Spacey/Kyle Chandler (have yet to finish House of Cards or Bloodline)
    Viola Davis vs Claire Danes
    Mandy Patinkin vs Jonathan Banks
    Uzo Aduba vs Christina Hendricks vs Lena Headey 

ReplyCopy URL
    Vektor
    Participant
    Topics:

Battles for the Drama Categories in my opinion:

Jon Hamm vs Kevin Spacey/Kyle Chandler (have yet to finish House of Cards or Bloodline)

Well, that’s wishful thinking. Maggie Smith won against “The Other Woman”, she only lost when another actress had an amazing tape (Gunn twice). Aduba and Hendricks don’t have anything like “Fifty-One” or “Ozymandias” and Headey will never have a really competitive tape in GoT (I know her storyline in season 5). Smith will win again with that boring performance, deal with it.

And Mad Men has zero industry support, it isn’t overdue, nothing like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. A show can’t come back and win drama series again just because it has three or four strong final episodes, when it didn’t win anything in the last three years. (like 30 Rock)

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”agloster94″]Battles for the Drama Categories in my opinion:

Well, that’s wishful thinking. Maggie Smith won against “The Other Woman”, she only lost when another actress had an amazing tape (Gunn twice). Aduba and Hendricks don’t have anything like “Fifty-One” or “Ozymandias” and Headey will never have a really competitive tape in GoT (I know her storyline in season 5). Smith will win again with that boring performance, deal with it.

And Mad Men has zero industry support, it isn’t overdue, nothing like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. A show can’t come back and win drama series again just because it has three or four strong final episodes, when it didn’t win anything in the last three years. (like 30 Rock)[/quote]

Smith’s performance in Downton season 5 was definitely not ‘boring’. For me, she was completely fantastic throughout particularly given that she actually had a story arc this season.

FYC: The Crown, Fleabag and AHS: Roanoke for Gold Derby TV Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Vektor
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Vektor”][quote=”agloster94″]Battles for the Drama Categories in my opinion:

And Mad Men has zero industry support, it isn’t overdue, nothing like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. A show can’t come back and win drama series again just because it has three or four strong final episodes, when it didn’t win anything in the last three years. (like 30 Rock)[/quote]
    Smith’s performance in Downton season 5 was definitely not ‘boring’. For me, she was completely fantastic throughout particularly given that she actually had a story arc this season.[/quote]
    Thanks, good to know, this makes it even easier to predict Smith.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t see the Mad Men sweep right now.
    Its half season was solid, but not really great.
    I’d say it could take lead actor (even though Hamm needs the finale to be big) and even writing or directing, but I don’t think the show will win the top award. I don’t think that the enthusiasm is there. BREAKING BAD and THE SOPRANOS really had enthusiasm. I don’t see MAD MEN in that category. Do you remember how crazy the press went in the days leading to the BB finale? It simply isn’t happening now.

And we’re speaking about a show that hasn’t won a single Emmy since 2011 and it failed to receive a single SAG nominations the last two years! The Globes snubbed it big time as well. Maybe the industry and the press has moved on. Maybe it’s something like the LOST finale. 

Maybe the weak year favors stuff like Downton Abbey (two SAG ensemble wins in three years) and  Game of Thrones (which I believe will win in the end, even though it could fail to win anything else).

Drama Series – Game of Thrones
    Lead Actor — Jon Hamm
    Lead Actress — Ruth Wilson
    Supporting Actor — Ben Mendelsohn or Jonathan Banks
    Supporting Actress — Uzo Aduba
    Directing — Better Call Saul
    Writing — no idea, but maybe a Mad Men victory? (but the writers snubbed the show two years in a row and we’re talking about a show with three wins)

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

And Mad Men has zero industry support, it isn’t overdue, nothing like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. A show can’t come back and win drama series again just because it has three or four strong final episodes, when it didn’t win anything in the last three years. (like 30 Rock)

Aduba has Hugs Can Be Deceiving. For me, that is a winning tape. Hendricks is popular, and Mad Men is an Emmy favourite. If Hamm is to miss out, they may vote for Hendricks so that an actor from the show does win. May be wishful thinking, but it could happen?

Everything I have heard from the actors about this season is that Cersei has a massive season (as does Arya). The series is moving away from the books so ‘knowing’ the season may not be the end of the discussion. 

But Mad Men has lost the last three years when other series had amazing tapes (Homeland and Breaking Bad). It is just like your argument for Maggie Smith in Supporting Actress. This year, Mad Men has those amazing tapes, and most of the other series contenders just don’t have that in comparison. Even if there are four or five outstanding tapes, that could be enough for the Series win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”agloster94″]Battles for the Drama Categories in my opinion:

Best Writing in a Comedy 2013 for the finale mean anything to you? 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 246 total)
Reply To: 2015 Emmy Awards: Drama Categories Part 3

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.