Home Forums Television 2015 Emmy Ceremony Reactions – Part II

2015 Emmy Ceremony Reactions – Part II

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue.

I wanted to add that many are still upset that there were no “upsets” and predictable winners, even though I beg to differ. There were plenty of refreshing champions last night.

You want upsets? Watch the Grammy awards. They’re INFAMOUS for not caring about politics, who’s due, what song was at the top of the charts. Nope, they give it to who they want. “Please Read the Letter” wins Record of the Year??? Who remembers this? Beck beats Beyonce this year? Insane. Subjective opinion perhaps, but over-all I’ve never seen another awards show that seems more out of tune then the Music Academy.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

Some other observations…

Watch Jon Hamm’s win.  In the frame just behind Hamm to the right, Sofia Vergara puts some big hunk of food in her mouth.  Hilarious.

Jimmy Kimmel really took all of the class out of Tambor’s win.  Just read the names and open the damn envelope.  Otherwise, you’re just making it about you, douche!! Even Louie CK had a look on his face like, “Please just make this stop!”

Did anyone else notice Elisabeth Moss and her date really cheering when Hamm won, but Christina Hendrick really didn’t budge.  She didn’t even have much of a smile on her face.

The Samberg/Meyers bit about Lorne Michaels and the mug was painfully unfunny.  Just uncomfortable.

Interesting that I thought Veep would win driecting and Transparent would win writing, but the opposite happened.

Was Terence Howard drunk, high, or both?

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I really avoided the website all last night, so some of what I may say might be repeating what has been said before, but indulge me…

To begin, I placed 7th out of all GoldDerby users!!! Allow me this bit of time to brag, but usually I do just decent, so to place 7th among everyone is really quite surprising and I’m pretty happy about it (especially considering how many incorrect picks I had). It’s also more surprising to me because this was the first year in a while where I honestly did not watch all of the tapes — then again, neither did voters so maybe that was an advantage.

Overall, I am pretty happy with this crop of winners, actually moreso than in the past few years. Not everyone who deserved to win got it, and there are some wins I am ‘eh’ about. But on the whole, I’m really very content with the winners this year. Now, genre by genre…

COMEDY – I went 6 for 7 here, only missing out on Louis-Dreyfus (I had Poehler ranked 1st and Schumer 2nd). Her win felt a bit rubberstamped, but it’s not like she’s entirely undeserving. Her win helped under the popular vote system for sure, but I also just think voters really embraced “Veep” this year all around. I was pulling for Poehler to win her first Emmy (c’mon, y’all…COME. ON.) and I thought Schumer would continue her victory lap of 2015, so that’s why I had JLD third. Still deserving. But seriously… #JusticeForPoehler. I’m glad “Veep” stopped the “Modern Family” streak as expected, even though I didn’t love this season like I did the second and third. Tambor winning was great, but I don’t know if he’ll repeat next year. I’m glad I stuck with Hale, even though Burgess definitely deserved it. And Janney was deserving and my pick, so I’m happy there. I’m most happy I stuck with “Election Night” for writing and “Pilot” for Directing — that is exactly how the voting should have gone since the writing for “Veep” is it’s strong point, and the directing likewise for “Transparent.” Pretty amazing that those shows split all the comedy awards minus Supporting Actress.

REALITY – I picked “The Voice.” Yeah. Not much more to say. “The Amazing Race” is pretty weak by now, so I don’t know if it can ever win again (although I didn’t expect it to win last year, so who knows).

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE – I went 6 for 8 here, missing Jenkins for Oyelowo and King for Paulson and Mo’Nique. I honestly haven’t seen any of these outside of “AHS,” but Paulson and Wittrock were severely snubbed. Even in a popular vote, I thought Paulson would win. Wittrock losing makes sense — he’s an unknown and it’s a campy performance, and he was up against the beloved Bill Murray. But Paulson really had it all going for her, and her loss is pretty surprising to me. Literally what more does Ryan Murphy have to do to get her an Emmy? Lol. I should’ve gone with Jenkins over Oyelowo, expecting that they would obsess over “Olive Kitteridge” like they did. I don’t have much more to say about these races so moving on…

VARIETY – I went 1 for 2 here (didn’t predict Writing and Directing, so not much I can do about that). I had “The Colbert Report,” “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” and “The Late Show with David Letterman” ALL over “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.” Really not quite sure why I did that. I really should’ve expected the Emmys to shower this show with love in it’s last year. Personally, I’m rooting for “Last Week Tonight” next year with “Colbert Report” gone and “Daily Show” going through a transitional period, plus I’m not sure Colbert can win with “Late Show” yet. “Last Week Tonight” fits the mold of previous winners and it’s the best variety talk series, period. I am THRILLED with the totally expected “Inside Amy Schumer” win. Here’s hoping the show keeps up the quality and keeps the title for a while now.

DRAMA – I went 4 for 7 here, my weakest performance of the night. I had Headey over Aduba, Banks and Mendelsohn over Dinklage, and “Person to Person” over “Mother’s Mercy.” As someone who gave up on “Mad Men” really early in it’s run (it never did anything for me), I was glad to see the Emmys didn’t obsess over it like some predicted. I did have the show winning Writing in addition to Lead Actor, but once “GoT” got the Writing and Directing wins, I knew it was game over. The show’s only major loss, Lena Headey, was a bit surprising, but I think it just has to do with the pure popularity of Uzo Aduba — she is so beloved and it is the easiest way to reward “OITNB,” a show that I think people want to give awards to, but because of category BS, it’s been hard. Aduba seems very well-liked, and regardless of how you wanna argue tapes, category placement, whatever…she deserved it. As soon as “GoT” won Writing and Directing, I knew Dinklage was taking Supporting Actor — a category with no real popular frontrunner outside of Dinklage that had one performance with a strong tape, but not the popular support for a win (Banks), and the most deserving season-long performance on a show without the support needed to get the win (Mendelsohn). This was Dinklage’s least good season (I don’t wanna say worst because he wasn’t bad at all), and I was really pulling for Mendelsohn, the most deserving contestant, but I like Dinklage so I’m not losing sleep. As I mentioned before, I’m not a “Mad Men” fan, but even I was pulling for Hamm, so to see him win was great (and his standing O was one of the best moments of the show). He got his win so I’m glad. Now it’s time for Spacey’s Emmy, but he’s got strong, fresh competition coming now. Let’s just hope he gets his Emmy eventually for “House of Cards.” I’m glad I stuck with Davis over Henson (and to a lesser extent, Wright and Maslany) all season long. I knew she’d likely win in a popular vote. Her speech was awesome and you can just tell she is so well respected and loved. “GoT” winning Series…not a surprise. The fantasy bias thing has never rung true to me, this is just the first time a show of that nature has deserved the win.

All in all, I’m happy with this year’s Emmys, particularly over last year’s nauseating results. I’d be okay with the popular vote system sticking around, but maybe I’ll change my tune come next spring/summer. 

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I really avoided the website all last night, so some of what I may say might be repeating what has been said before, but indulge me…

To begin, I placed 7th out of all GoldDerby users!!! Allow me this bit of time to brag, but usually I do just decent, so to place 7th among everyone is really quite surprising and I’m pretty happy about it (especially considering how many incorrect picks I had). It’s also more surprising to me because this was the first year in a while where I honestly did not watch all of the tapes — then again, neither did voters so maybe that was an advantage.

Overall, I am pretty happy with this crop of winners, actually moreso than in the past few years. Not everyone who deserved to win got it, and there are some wins I am ‘eh’ about. But on the whole, I’m really very content with the winners this year. Now, genre by genre…

COMEDY – I went 6 for 7 here, only missing out on Louis-Dreyfus (I had Poehler ranked 1st and Schumer 2nd). Her win felt a bit rubberstamped, but it’s not like she’s entirely undeserving. Her win helped under the popular vote system for sure, but I also just think voters really embraced “Veep” this year all around. I was pulling for Poehler to win her first Emmy (c’mon, y’all…COME. ON.) and I thought Schumer would continue her victory lap of 2015, so that’s why I had JLD third. Still deserving. But seriously… #JusticeForPoehler. I’m glad “Veep” stopped the “Modern Family” streak as expected, even though I didn’t love this season like I did the second and third. Tambor winning was great, but I don’t know if he’ll repeat next year. I’m glad I stuck with Hale, even though Burgess definitely deserved it. And Janney was deserving and my pick, so I’m happy there. I’m most happy I stuck with “Election Night” for writing and “Pilot” for Directing — that is exactly how the voting should have gone since the writing for “Veep” is it’s strong point, and the directing likewise for “Transparent.” Pretty amazing that those shows split all the comedy awards minus Supporting Actress.

REALITY – I picked “The Voice.” Yeah. Not much more to say. “The Amazing Race” is pretty weak by now, so I don’t know if it can ever win again (although I didn’t expect it to win last year, so who knows).

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE – I went 6 for 8 here, missing Jenkins for Oyelowo and King for Paulson and Mo’Nique. I honestly haven’t seen any of these outside of “AHS,” but Paulson and Wittrock were severely snubbed. Even in a popular vote, I thought Paulson would win. Wittrock losing makes sense — he’s an unknown and it’s a campy performance, and he was up against the beloved Bill Murray. But Paulson really had it all going for her, and her loss is pretty surprising to me. Literally what more does Ryan Murphy have to do to get her an Emmy? Lol. I should’ve gone with Jenkins over Oyelowo, expecting that they would obsess over “Olive Kitteridge” like they did. I don’t have much more to say about these races so moving on…

VARIETY – I went 1 for 2 here (didn’t predict Writing and Directing, so not much I can do about that). I had “The Colbert Report,” “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” and “The Late Show with David Letterman” ALL over “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.” Really not quite sure why I did that. I really should’ve expected the Emmys to shower this show with love in it’s last year. Personally, I’m rooting for “Last Week Tonight” next year with “Colbert Report” gone and “Daily Show” going through a transitional period, plus I’m not sure Colbert can win with “Late Show” yet. “Last Week Tonight” fits the mold of previous winners and it’s the best variety talk series, period. I am THRILLED with the totally expected “Inside Amy Schumer” win. Here’s hoping the show keeps up the quality and keeps the title for a while now.

DRAMA – I went 4 for 7 here, my weakest performance of the night. I had Headey over Aduba, Banks and Mendelsohn over Dinklage, and “Person to Person” over “Mother’s Mercy.” As someone who gave up on “Mad Men” really early in it’s run (it never did anything for me), I was glad to see the Emmys didn’t obsess over it like some predicted. I did have the show winning Writing in addition to Lead Actor, but once “GoT” got the Writing and Directing wins, I knew it was game over. The show’s only major loss, Lena Headey, was a bit surprising, but I think it just has to do with the pure popularity of Uzo Aduba — she is so beloved and it is the easiest way to reward “OITNB,” a show that I think people want to give awards to, but because of category BS, it’s been hard. Aduba seems very well-liked, and regardless of how you wanna argue tapes, category placement, whatever…she deserved it. As soon as “GoT” won Writing and Directing, I knew Dinklage was taking Supporting Actor — a category with no real popular frontrunner outside of Dinklage that had one performance with a strong tape, but not the popular support for a win (Banks), and the most deserving season-long performance on a show without the support needed to get the win (Mendelsohn). This was Dinklage’s least good season (I don’t wanna say worst because he wasn’t bad at all), and I was really pulling for Mendelsohn, the most deserving contestant, but I like Dinklage so I’m not losing sleep. As I mentioned before, I’m not a “Mad Men” fan, but even I was pulling for Hamm, so to see him win was great (and his standing O was one of the best moments of the show). He got his win so I’m glad. Now it’s time for Spacey’s Emmy, but he’s got strong, fresh competition coming now. Let’s just hope he gets his Emmy eventually for “House of Cards.” I’m glad I stuck with Davis over Henson (and to a lesser extent, Wright and Maslany) all season long. I knew she’d likely win in a popular vote. Her speech was awesome and you can just tell she is so well respected and loved. “GoT” winning Series…not a surprise. The fantasy bias thing has never rung true to me, this is just the first time a show of that nature has deserved the win.

All in all, I’m happy with this year’s Emmys, particularly over last year’s nauseating results. I’d be okay with the popular vote system sticking around, but maybe I’ll change my tune come next spring/summer. 

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Kimmel’s bit with the envelope gave me an idea: one of these years, they should at least mention what the Ernst & Young accountants would do if somebody reads the wrong name.  E&Y is not perfect; I remember a Tony awards (with balloting also administered by E&Y) where the envelope for Choreography contained a name of a play that wasn’t even nominated in the category.  (I think it turned out that, for some incredibly strange reason, the card had been “re-purposed” and had two names on it, with either one on each side or one upside-down.)

ReplyCopy URL
    TerenceFletcher
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting that I thought Veep would win driecting and Transparent would win writing, but the opposite happened.

I had the same predicted. I thought either one would win both or they would split with Veep taking directing and Transparent writing, but I did not expect this result.

ReplyCopy URL
    Adam Rock
    Participant
    Topics:

The Peter Dinklage win is the one that scares me and upsets me the most. I think Riley said it best in the Reactions video after the Emmys. Game of Thrones is likely to be on the air for what? 5 more seasons? What’s to say that Dinklage can’t win the next 5 as well? Episodes clearly don’t matter and the Academy is just going for who they like best. Unless some sort of Oscar winner or VERY well respected actor gets added to this category, Dinklage is just going to win every year. We could be looking at a lot of Game of Thrones sweeps (or close to it) moving forward. 

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

Dinklage was the only winner who won purely on popularity. Everyone else had a submission worthy enough for a win. So yes, they did matter.

ReplyCopy URL
    Adam Rock
    Participant
    Topics:

Dinklage was the only winner who won purely on popularity. Everyone else had a submission worthy enough for a win. So yes, they did matter.

A lot of that was coincidental imo. They had worthy submissions but not necessarily the best submission.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

The Peter Dinklage win is the one that scares me and upsets me the most. I think Riley said it best in the Reactions video after the Emmys. Game of Thrones is likely to be on the air for what? 5 more seasons? What’s to say that Dinklage can’t win the next 5 as well? Episodes clearly don’t matter and the Academy is just going for who they like best. Unless some sort of Oscar winner or VERY well respected actor gets added to this category, Dinklage is just going to win every year. We could be looking at a lot of Game of Thrones sweeps (or close to it) moving forward. 

This makes no sense. This was Peter’s, what – second win? Not even consecutive. How does that mean voters didn’t watch the tapes?

EXPLAIN Frasier’s back to back to back wins. Explain Doris Roberts always winning. Was it because of their tapes? Or because voters were name checking? You can’t have it both ways.

I think voters go with who they like- Dinklage won because he’s amazing on the series- and Game of Thrones is on FIRE.

Why the hate, seriously?

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

Peter Dinklage was due a second Emmy for Game of Thrones. He so deserved it last year. I don’t think he’s going to keep winning at all. But he’s the face of that incredible show, so why not keep him in the conversation?

Rob James-Collier is winning next year anyway ; )

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Criticism isn’t the same thing as “hate,” for starters. Dinklage’s win was a shitty one. Even he knew that Emmy belonged to Jonathan Banks. If it’s the harbinger of poor wins to come that we all feared would happen in a popular vote, then it’s perfectly apt to voice those concerns here.

I missed the acting clips dearly. But we had to stop to acknowledge Lorne Michaels as “World’s Best Boss,” so there’s that. Sigh. I’m genuinely surprised how hard Andy Samberg tanked as host. The only thing I liked that he did was the opening song, and that was more for all the cameos than what he was particularly doing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because someone with a good tape won, doesn’t mean it was because of the tape.

ReplyCopy URL
    Adam Rock
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”arock1234″]

This makes no sense. This was Peter’s, what – second win? Not even consecutive. How does that mean voters didn’t watch the tapes?

EXPLAIN Frasier’s back to back to back wins. Explain Doris Roberts always winning. Was it because of their tapes? Or because voters were name checking? You can’t have it both ways.

I think voters go with who they like- Dinklage won because he’s amazing on the series- and Game of Thrones is on FIRE.

Why the hate, seriously?

[/quote]

My point is that we are sort starting somehwhat fresh under this new voting system, so comparing to past history doesn’t really tell the whole picture. He didn’t win for consective years because the voters were actually watching the tapes in previous years. (or at least more than this year and likely moving forward) There were 3 very strong epsiodes submissions in this category and Dinklage wasn’t one of them. If Banks had lost to either Mendelsohn or Kelly, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. This Dinklage win compounded with the Martindale and Cathey wins last week give me strong indication that the voters are paying less attention to the tapes then in previous years. If you don’t think this is a bad thing then we can agree to disagree. 

I don’t dislike Game of Thrones. Season 4 was very strong and Dinklage could have easily won for that season. I did think Season 5 was its weakest season, but the show capitalized on some controversial storylines which likely grabbed the attention of a lot of voters as it was talked about in the media quite a bit.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Jason_Travis”]

[quote=”arock1234″]

Why the hate, seriously?

[/quote]

My point is that we are sort starting somehwhat fresh under this new voting system, so comparing to past history doesn’t really tell the whole picture. He didn’t win for consective years because the voters were actually watching the tapes in previous years. (or at least more than this year and likely moving forward) There were 3 very strong epsiodes submissions in this category and Dinklage wasn’t one of them. If Banks had lost to either Mendelsohn or Kelly, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. This Dinklage win compounded with the Martindale and Cathey wins last week give me strong indication that the voters are paying less attention to the tapes then in previous years. If you don’t think this is a bad thing then we can agree to disagree. 

I don’t dislike Game of Thrones. Season 4 was very strong and Dinklage could have easily won for that season. I did think Season 5 was its weakest season, but the show capitalized on some controversial storylines which likely grabbed the attention of a lot of voters as it was talked about in the media quite a bit.  
    [/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from, but still- the opinion of Game of Thrones winning for it’s weakest season is still subjective. Many I talk to LOVE it more now then before.

And I still don’t get the Tapes theory. Voters name-checking has been going on forever. This is not news. Look at Modern Family. Winning EVERY damn time. We were sick of it the third time it happened. Then it happened AGAIN. This was under the OLD system. Again- I remember coming on these boards and seeing people whine “Modern Family didn’t have as good submission as so-so, etc.” Because I bet voters were just checking off their favorite show, they were used to Modern Family, nothing else really popped. Veep FINALLY got the recognition it deserved this year because usually- voters get over it and move on.

Sorry I see nothing new at all with last night’s winners and previous years, save Viola Davis winning and breaking records- and Margo Martindale’s puzzling victory.

Sarah Jessica Parker won for SEX AND THE CITY in it’s final season because it was the LAST time voters had a chance to do so (ditto for Hamm and Mad Men this year). She submitted the series finale, which was NOT her best work (any true Sex and the City fan knows Parker’s best work in season 6 was The Post-It Always Sticks Twice). The point is sometimes people win because their due, sometimes they win because they’re HOT at the moment or in a Hot Show (eg Peter’s win), sometimes it IS the tape.

But seriously, and I have said this before- John Goodman ALWAYS lost on Roseanne to weaker competition supposedly because he sucked at picking episodes, which is unfair. His overall BODY of work should have earned him at least 2 trophies. This NEW voting system would have allowed him to triumph.

It’s push and pull. I am happy with last night’s victories.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
Reply To: 2015 Emmy Ceremony Reactions – Part II

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.