Home Forums Television 2015 Kennedy Center Honors

2015 Kennedy Center Honors

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

It kind of blends all the lines of Movies, TV, Music, and Theater but anyways….

This year’s honrors are:

George Lucas (director) 
    Carole King (singer)
    Cicely Tyson (actress) 
    The Eagles (band) 
    Rita Moreno (actress) 
    Seiji Ozawa (conductor) 

KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry, I just made the connection on why the previous Kennedy Center Honors are in the TV category because of the broadcast itself. My mistake. Is there anyway someone can swap this over there? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Wow, these are early! They normally announce them after Labor Day.

America to Celebrate Honorees’ Lifetime Artistic Achievements
    Sunday, December 6, 2015

Gala will be broadcast on CBS on December 29, 2015 at 9:00p.m., ET/PT.

The Kennedy Center announced the selection of the six Honorees who will receive the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors.
    Recipients to be honored at the 38th annual national celebration of the arts are: American rock band the
    Eagles, singer-songwriter
    Carole King,
    filmmaker George Lucas, actress and singer Rita Moreno,
    conductor Seiji Ozawa, and actress and Broadway star Cicely Tyson.

“Quite simply,” said Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein, “our
    Honorees represent the voices, soundtracks, and stories of our personal
    lives and memories.”

“When I look at this year’s outstanding slate of Honorees, I am struck
    by a powerful common theme-artists as history-makers, artists who defy
    both convention and category,” commented Kennedy Center President
    Deborah F. Rutter.

In a star-studded celebration on the Kennedy Center Opera House stage,
    produced by Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss of White Cherry
    Entertainment, the 2015 Honorees will be saluted by today’s leading
    performers from New York, Hollywood, and the arts capitals of the world.
    Seated with the President of the United States and Mrs. Obama, the
    Honorees will accept the thanks of their peers through performances and
    tributes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Again a Betty White snub 🙁 

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

This is a really, really good group, though. There are always people snubbed who are more than deserving.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes! I’ve been predicting Carole King and Rita Moreno for years now, and am so glad that they finally made the cut! Probably not coincidental that the Beautiful tour is beginning later this year and that both Moreno and Tyson had recent high profile guest starring roles on culturally significant shows. Seriously, a nice blend of ethnicities and genres. I guess I’ve got to start a new list of favorites for future years (Burt Bacharach, Diahann Carroll, and anyone from the cast of the Mary Tyler Moore show at this point), but this is going to make for one heckuva show this year. I just don’t know how they’ll manage feature all six artists in a 2 hour special.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I know! I was just thinking about when these string of honors would be announced and these seemed really early to me. Yeah the past few years have really only had one person really stand out for me personally, last year Lily Tomlin and the year before Shirley MacLaine but this has 3 people I adore (Lucas, Tyson, and King). The King celebration will be awesome. Spielberg will probably introduce Lucas and with the opening of Star Wars 7 right around the ceremony, it is perfect timing to honor Lucas. Tyson could potentially be earning an Emmy this year (we’ll see tomorrow) so she could be on a roll this last half of the year. I bet there will be a big “America” number for Moreno. The Eagles will surly bring big names for tributes. The only person i’m not familiar with is Seiji 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

So happy with the King & Tyson honors.  I would not personally pick Moreno, but she has the talent and the resume deserving of the honor without a doubt.

The Eagles… well, I think they are a great band.  But a Kennedy Center honor – I’m not so sure about.  Also I always think honoring an entire band is weird, some of the coupling honorees in the past have also striked me as unfair.  Anyway.

I have no comment on Ozawa, as I’m sure most on these boards are like me and are unfamiliar with his work.

George Lucas.  Ranks among my least favorite choices ever – along with Oprah WInfrey, Charlton Heston & Johnny Carson.   I have slightly different arguments on all of them.  Lucas is mainly a prodcer, who we all know have not been honored previously very much (and when they are it’s by someone more known as a director or actor).  This is a reason for that, they are not as a creative force as just about any other top of the line craftsmen in any of the arts.  Yes, yes he is also a director of what?  3 films?  Let’s also not forget the overwhelming majority of his resume is Star Wars related.  So these are the reasons why he sits honored among some of the incredible artists previously honored by the Kennedy Center?  BLAH!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

As the resident classical music expert on the board, I fully support the inclusion of Ozawa. Ozawa is a Japanese born conductor who has been a fixture in American Classical music since the 1960s. He was music director of the Boston symphony Orchestra for 29 years, and won 2 emmys and a grammy.  The Kennedy Center likes to honor individuals in the classical music and dance genres, and Ozawa is a very worthy choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jose Manuel Garcia
    Participant
    Topics:

Rita Moreno was one of the top choice a couple of years ago after the Latino community complains about the lack of inductees among them. They picked up Santana and some Ballerina… So i am quite happy with her. She is one of the few EGOTs and she has worked for long long time. She is well deserved.

George Lucas has being directing since ever… I remembered at the oscars when Scorsesse was finally rewarded. He was with Spielberg and Coppola… it is one of the big four to not have an oscar yet.

Carole King is not my cup of tea… but she is definetely well deserved choice. She had an musical about his life a couple of years ago, so it might help.

The Eagles is a well-known group. Almost everyone knows “Hotel California”. For me it is one of the big groups ever. If i have to say an american Group, this is maybe the only who comes to my mind…

Ozawa is a great pick.

So we have, a latino, an asian, an afroamerican. It is a great set of diversity. If I had to choose one of each group, they will be definitely my top 3 choice from each group each. Rita the first, i cant name anyone else.. maybe Julio Iglesias… but it is a big maybe…

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Where is Betty White? :-/// Nice choices with King, Moreno, & Tyson.

ReplyCopy URL
    dsps84
    Participant
    Topics:

Nothing against Moreno, but how is she more deserving than Al Pacino? They’ve honored his contemporaries Nicholson, DeNiro, and Hoffman, but he’s been overlooked. Heck, Steve Martin got this almost a decade ago, and they already gave it to Tom Hanks.

Did he turn them down for some reason? 

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Betty White outlived the other Golden Girls, what else does she need?

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

George Lucas created one of the biggest cinematic universes of all time. Star Wars is a legendary film and is still relevant today almost 40 years later. Plus, though I’m not a huge fan, American Graffiti is regarded as one of the greats in the coming of age category, and Lucas helped create Indiana Jones, another highly beloved franchise. Between him and Spielberg, they pretty much created the idea of the blockbuster for better or for worst. He is definitely deserving 

ReplyCopy URL
    Will
    Participant
    Topics:

Fantastic
    choices all around, although I am sad about Betty White and Carol Channing
    snub.
    It is also a perfect way to honor Cicely Tyson’s legendary career, whose film career was too shot to warrant an Honorary Oscar, but her overall achievements
    to the entertainment industry most definitely
    deserve  the KCH.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Reply To: 2015 Kennedy Center Honors

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.