Home Forums Television 2015/2016 Emmy Contenders

2015/2016 Emmy Contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I know we’re still in the middle of the Emmys season but it’s never too early to discuss who will be nominated next year! With shows like Mad Men, The Newsroom and Key & Peele coming to an end, some slots will be wide open for some newcomers or old snubbies to occupy them. Will this year’s brightest surprise nominees come back? Who will be snubbed?

24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I know we’re still in the middle of the Emmys season but it’s never too early to discuss who will be nominated next year! With shows like Mad Men, The Newsroom and Key & Peele coming to an end, some slots will be wide open for some newcomers or old snubbies to occupy them. Will this year’s brightest surprise nominees come back? Who will be snubbed?

Key & Peele’s last season will be eligible for the 2016 Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”tomhardys”]I know we’re still in the middle of the Emmys season but it’s never too early to discuss who will be nominated next year! With shows like Mad Men, The Newsroom and Key & Peele coming to an end, some slots will be wide open for some newcomers or old snubbies to occupy them. Will this year’s brightest surprise nominees come back? Who will be snubbed?

Key & Peele’s last season will be eligible for the 2016 Emmys.

[/quote]

My bad! 

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris will likely replace Drunk History next year in Variety Sketch. The show will also be a strong contender for Original Music & Lyrics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gone_Guy
    Topics:

It got scathing reviews, but Ben Kingsley could get in on name alone for the Spike TV limited series, Tut. It would be his fifth Emmy nomination, and he has never won.

The FOX limited series, Wayward Pines, should not be forgotten, as it remained solid. A Directing nom for M. Night Shyamalan (“Pilot”) would be warranted, as it was his strongest work since his double-punch of films Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense. Strong ensemble from Matt Dillon, Carla Gugino, Shannyn Sossamon, Toby Jones, Melissa Leo, and Hope Davis. Leo would likely go Supporting here, especially if All the Way is filmed, edited, and released before the May 31 deadline. Who knows, though. She may be the female lead as Lady Bird yet better suited to go Supporting for awards purposes. We’ll see. 

FX cancelled The Comedians, Showtime cancelled Happyish, and I think the next comedy on the chopping block is HBO’s The Brink. I really wanted this to work out for Tim Robbins and Jack Black, but it just hasn’t. HBO is usually good to give series a second season, but the difference between those – Enlightened, Looking, and after nine years, The Comeback – is they were high quality. This… Not so much. Should HBO cancel it, make no doubt that it will go by way of Limited Series for contention. 

I do think HBO’s The Ballers will get a second season. I don’t expect it to make too much of an impact at the Emmys, but the Golden Globes will give The Rock a nomination in no time. 

Zoo is just mindless summer fun. Poor James Wolk. He gets a quality vehicle and nobody watches (Lone Star, The Crazy Ones). He gets a summer dud, and it’ll likely getting a few seasons. 

I don’t see season 2 of Extant getting anything, not even Halle Berry. Thank God she already has an Emmy for what I consider her greatest on-screen performance in any medium: Introducing Dorothy Dandridge.

Maybe the third season will be the charm for Aden Young and Rectify

I am curious to see if I Am Cait gets in Non-Competition Reality. 

I know the Emmys love Kristen Wiig, but I don’t think we have to worry about seeing A Deadly Adoption popping up for anything. But she also has The Spoils Before Dying and Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp. Can always count on her to pop up somewhere for the nomination.  

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

FX cancelled The Comedians, Showtime cancelled Happyish, and I think the next comedy on the chopping block is HBO’s The Brink. I really wanted this to work out for Tim Robbins and Jack Black, but it just hasn’t. HBO is usually good to give series a second season, but the difference between those – Enlightened, Looking, and after nine years, The Comeback – is they were high quality. This… Not so much. Should HBO cancel it, make no doubt that it will go by way of Limited Series for contention. 

I do think HBO’s The Ballers will get a second season. I don’t expect it to make too much of an impact at the Emmys, but the Golden Globes will give The Rock a nomination in no time.

HBO already renewed both Ballers and The Brink:

http://deadline.com/2015/07/ballers-renewed-season-2-hbo-dwayne-johnson-1201473408/

http://deadline.com/2015/07/the-brink-renewed-season-2-hbo-1201483087/

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Show Me a Hero probably in all categories (Limites Series).

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m worried about OiTNB next year. On one hand they could and SHOULD petition to go back to the Comedy categories because S3 was the funniest of the show so far but on the other hand that would hurt Taryn Manning and Natasha Lyonne’s chances to score an Emmy nom and perhaps win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m worried about OiTNB next year. On one hand they could and SHOULD petition to go back to the Comedy categories because S3 was the funniest of the show so far but on the other hand that would hurt Taryn Manning and Natasha Lyonne’s chances to score an Emmy nom and perhaps win.

Yes I totally agree, but I’m swaying more for them to stay drama because Uzo and Schilling would be the only nominees. With this third season in drama Cox, manning, and lyonne would all be nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    songbird
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see Westworld taking the acting slots from Mad Men and the tech slots from Boardwalk Empire. If it’s good enough, it could take even more like series, directing, and writing.  

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Sarah Jessica Parker has a new show, “Divorce” on HBO. It also has Thomas Haden Church and Molly Shannon, nominees and winners, except Shannon who hopefully will get her due and get a good show worth her talent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

OITNB should stay in the Drama category, even this season’s premiere was kinda sad and that last 2 mins or so almost made my eyes water. 

I think Westworld will be the one with most nominations.  If Utopia is ready during the deadline Drama categories might be full of HBO series. 
    I can see Sarah Jessica Parker getting a nomination if her series is above average, if the series is good Molly Shannon can get in for Supporting Actress. 
    Pablo Schreiber can be nominated as a Supporting Actor(?) for The Brink.  
    If Vice Principals is released in time I can see Walton Goggins getting a nomination 
    Show Me A Hero in the limited series categories, if Undaunted Courage is released in time that can get some nominations too. 
    Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti can (probably will) be nominated for Billions. 
    Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp will have many acting nominations in Mini Series, I can see half of the original cast getting nominated, or all of them completely snubbed.

I’m sure there are more possible contenders but seeing them would make this prediction a lot easier. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

The Limited Series categories will be crawling with these anthology series competing against one another: True Detective, Fargo, American Crime, American Horror Story and American Crime Story. And there’s The X-Files. So much for real miniseries.

True Detective is hurt by its not-so-good reviews and early air dates, but it still has a shot here, definitely better than being placed in Drama Series.

The Night Manager starring Olivia Colman, Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie looks promising. Could be The Honourable Woman of 2016 if Limited Series is not too competitive.

Sharon Stone will star in TNT’s Agent X while Marcia Gay Harden has Code Black on CBS.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Dianne Wiest has Life in Pieces on CBS. Patrick Stewart and Jacki Weaver have Blunt Talk on Starz.

ReplyCopy URL
    MattArmando
    Participant
    Topics:

Joan Allen looks good in ABC’s The Family… very HTGAWM Viola-type role. She has the name alone to get into Lead.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
Reply To: 2015/2016 Emmy Contenders

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.