Home Forums Television 2016 Comedy Actress: Will Lena Dunham and Melissa McCarthy be back?

2016 Comedy Actress: Will Lena Dunham and Melissa McCarthy be back?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

With “Parks & Recreation” and “Nurse Jackie” out of the picture, and no official information on the third season of “The Comeback”, I can see some of our old Emmy-darlings, and this year’s newcomer snubbies are back in the game full time.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (“Veep”); Lily Tomlin (“Grace and Frankie”) and Amy Schumer (“Inside Amy Schumer”) can make the cut again.

Now as some of the old dogs are gone, there is enough room for another big name: Jane Fonda (“Grace and Frankie”) as well.

What about these year’s snubbies? Gina Rodriguez (“Jane the Virgin”) and Ellie Kemper (“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”) are looking very strong for a possible nomination. Especially the latter with such strong support for the first season of “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” by Emmy voters.

Or maybe long-time-snubbies Mindy Kaling (“The Mindy Project”) and Anna Faris (“Mom”) will finally happen?

Emmy-darlings such as Lena Dunham (“Girls”) and Melissa McCarthy (“Mike and Molly”) can also be back. Especially McCarthy, who found her way back after a snub once before.

Maybe “Getting On” and “Black-ish” can also earn their leading ladies – Laurie Metcalf and Tracee Ellis Ross – a nomination? These shows are clearly on Emmy-radar right now.

Or it’s finally the time for Julie Bowen (“Modern Family”) to move to lead? Like the Supporting Actress category is a bit crowded lately. It would be the right move.

Any new contenders?

Anonymous
    Topics:

I hope Kemper’s part of a big surge for the show including directing/writing nods…and kicks out that other Netflix show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully never.

Constance Wu, Tracee Ellis Ross, Anna Faris, Mindy Kalling, Gina Rodriguez, Laurie Metcalf, Jane Fonda, Sutton Foster, Judy Greer, Patricia Heaton, Ellie Kemper and Kristen Schaal all deserve it much more than those two.

I didn’t mention Emmy Rossum only because I consider Shameless to be drama.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I can see Schaal, Rodriguez, and Kemper filling those slots. I say Rodriguez because they got Maslany in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I can see McCarthy returning but I think Jane Fonda, Ellie Kemper and Kristen Schaal have better chances at filling those slots. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Lena Dunham can return. Melissa McCarthy couldn’t get back in after her big “Spy” hit, so more than likely not. I think the priorities will be Jane Fonda and Ellie Kemper.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

2016 nominees predictions:

Fonda
    Kemper
    Louis-Dreyfus
    Schumer
    Tomlin
    Plus: A new actress from freshman comedy series

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Dunham is a possibility because she will still be on an HBO show, and they will fight for her. There’s three slots we know will most likely be open and seeing how G&F didn’t create any sort of hype or excitement anywhere, I wouldn’t be too confident about Tomlin (or even Fonda) coming back next year. So that’s 4 slots. I think Lena Dunham and HBO can work to get that nomination back.

McCarthy, I think she’s done for good. And she should be for that awful show. Specially going into season 6 on a network that really doesn’t care about it.

I don’t think Metcalf, Ross, Wu, Rodriguez and sadly Kaling were even close to being nominated and won’t be next year either. Wu, Ross and Rodriguez could suffer from the usual sophomore slump these type of shows usually get. And Fonda, Dunham, Kemper had to be higher than them. And please, don’t think too much about that Niecy Nash nomination, specially in this category.

Kaling’s show is moving to Hulu where it could debut to very little hype this year with those 26 episodes airing back to back with no interrumption so it might be over very early next year and nobody will remember it come Emmy voting time. The things they would have to do to get Kaling in…

There’s also Sarah Jessica Parker who has a new HBO show, maybe that’s something to consider. Kristen Schaal should go supporting.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

-Now that Schumer broke through, she is a mainstay in this category.
    -Kemper will definitely get in next year.
    -Dunham? Maybe she could come back if Girls has a good season and increased buzz (i doubt it, though)
    -McCarthy I think is done, but never say never.
    -Rodriguez, I think season 1 was really her only chance as this was her breakout year. No one is going to care as much about her next year.
    -Constance Wu. Same as Rodriguez.
    -I do think we could see Kaling randomly pop up in a “they finally caught on to her” kind of way. Plus she is a big name in the industry.
    -Fonda has the name-check factor going for her, so she could get in next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Oh and if Scream Queens is submitted ass comedy series rather than Limited Series I can see Jamie Lee Curtis getting in lead (Lea Michele in supporting too but that’s another topic) 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Kemper will be there next year for sure! As the only nome that G&F got was for Tomlin, who is a tv legend, I don’t think Fonda will make the cut if the series doesn’t improve.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Any new contenders?

Dianne Wiest, Life in Pieces (unless she goes supporting)

Miss Piggy, The Muppets 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

Kemper will get in next year as part of a (predicted) big surge for the show. I think she would’ve got in this year if not for the ultra-competitiveness. I think Tomlin only got in because of her Academy connections (she’s her show’s only nomination), but I suppose Fonda could also make it in because she’s Fonda. And the show’s gotta improve for Tomlin to keep her nom or Fonda to get hers. I’m gonna root hard for Rodriguez to make it in. It’d be cool to see Kaling make it in and the move to Hulu could perhaps be the big push. I don’t see Dunham making it back in…McCarthy, maybe. 

ReplyCopy URL
    WaltEagle
    Participant
    Topics:

Fonda will be in, and Kemper can always maybe gather steam due to being on a show on Emmy radar (just think, the people who didn’t nominate Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt anywhere will be more aware of its existence next year, so noms could grow), but I think most other people have too weak a claim to top even mildly buzzy women from flashy new shows, of which there seem to be more every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Wait I’d actually like to see miss piggy win an emmy over anyone. I know she’s a puppet

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: 2016 Comedy Actress: Will Lena Dunham and Melissa McCarthy be back?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.