Home Forums Television 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 136 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Stretchy
Hunter-ish
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Bummed that the Rectify finale did not get episodic.

Very disappointed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel got nothing.

It premiered after voting ended, so it was always a long shot.

How does Feud: Bette and Joan count as original? Isn’t it based on a book?

It is unofficially based on an unproduced screenplay. If this were the Oscars, it would be classified as adapted, but there was not an official credit and the WGA is more lax about this kind of thing anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Fabulous nominees!

Some thoughts:
    Five drama series nominees seem obvious.

Glow can officially call itself a contender for a series nomination.

Was American Vandal competing as a Comedy series or limited series? It got a best new series nomination so at least it is on the map.

Better Things was completely snubbed! Outside of Adlon I think it’s hopes are dead.

The Deuce was only nominated for New Series.

Ozark somehow got a new series nomination. Were there no other contenders?

Not worried about the across the board snubs for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel as it suffered from The Crown effect AKA a late release.

American Horror Story is back in the race! I knew that the political themes would help it. Which is a bit of a shame becuse Roanoke was so much better.

Godless and Manhunt: Unablmber are also on the board over the likes of The Sinner.

Flint is an easy TV movie nomination.

BoJack is in the race with two episodic nominations.

Rick and Marty couldn’t get its most acclaimed episode ever nominated from the writers of all people, it isn’t getting a series nomination.

The Book of Nora!

Surprising nominations in episodic for The OA and Good Behavior. It’s a long shot but since the industry at least knows of those shows now maybe they can get guests nominationsfor Ann Dowd (since the industry is obsessed with her now) and Riz Ahmed (I have know idea if he’ll be back).

The Americans couldn’t get into episodic for its most acclaimed season but did for its leads acclaimed season. Is this a sign of it winning again? I’ll stick with Handmaids.

No Game of Thrones in episodic!

THE CARMICHAEL SHOW IS ON THE BOARD!! I know episodic nominations don’t mean much but now I can at least have hope that it could get a writing nomination.

Only one episodic for Veep and none for Silicon Valley.

The writers have never liked Will & Grace. I believe “Rosario’s Quincenera” will easily get a writing nomination. If it can get in here it should be easy at the Emmys.

Jimmy Kimmel was snubbed last year but after being on a role recently he is nominated. I stand by my recent prediction that he will win variety.

So I guess weeken update summer edition counts as it’s own thing?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Hunter-ish.
    ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

The OA is an amazing show. It really feels different from others at least in terms of narration. That’s why I think it got nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Meh.

The two best half-hours on episodic TV were from The Good Place; Michael’s Gambit, the one with the electrifying twist that was equal to the Newhart series finale, and Dance Dance Resolution, the one describing Michael’s 802 reboots and all the food shop puns…and neither was nominated. Fork the WGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Meh.

The two best half-hours on episodic TV were from The Good Place; Michael’s Gambit, the one with the electrifying twist that was equal to the Newhart series finale, and Dance Dance Resolution, the one describing Michael’s 802 reboots and all the food shop puns…and neither was nominated. Fork the WGA.

Because food puns are the holy grail of writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    JoeyJ
    Participant
    Topics:

Episodic comedy is so great! Will & Grace, Grace and Frankie AND Trial & Error. Writers do really watch new shows.

G&F is in it’s 3rd season and Will &Grace started almost 2 decades ago

That said always nice to see them spread around the noms like they did this morning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and This is Js are completely snubbed. I predict both of them to be dropped from series come Emmy nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

G&F is in it’s 3rd season and Will &Grace started almost 2 decades ago

No shit Sherlock.

“Grace and Frankie” was never nominated for its writing and Will & Grace came back after more than a decade. The writers at the Emmys go for Veep and Silicon Valley (and a new show of the moment) and seeing these inspiring nominations was a fresh breath of air, hence the “new shows”.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow these nominees are fab. Totally thrilled many but particularly Godless, Trial & Error and Good Behavior as it’s great to see such brilliant series put on the awards map (not that Godless had been snubbed thus far).

Guessing The Crown did not get seen in time?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Unlike most other guilds that simply use the calendar year for eligibility, the WGA uses December to November, “regardless of how many episodes aired during this period”. This means that the second season of The Crown that releases later this week will have to wait another year to contend and it might even be bundled with the third season if Netflix releases it in November as it did with the first season.

Ozark somehow got a new series nomination. Were there no other contenders?

Other dramas contending for Best New Series include The Deuce, The Good Fight, Legion, Mindhunter and 13 Reasons Why. Comedies contending include Dear White People, GLOW, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Santa Clarita Diet and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Unlike most other guilds that simply use the calendar year for eligibility, the WGA uses December to November, “regardless of how many episodes aired during this period”. This means that the second season of The Crown that releases later this week will have to wait another year to contend and it might even be bundled with the third season if Netflix releases it in November as it did with the first season.

Oh missed this. Thanks. Wonder if potentially being bundled with the 3rd season will help or hinder it. I’d imagine there’d be a lot of renewed interest given the arrival of a new lead actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Will & Grace… god it’s so good to be right. Next stop GG, SAG, PGA and of course Emmys.

Fuck you haters.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Will & Grace… god it’s so good to be right. Next stop GG, SAG, PGA and of course Emmys.

Fuck you haters.

Sasha?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Who the fuck is this Sasha that everyone is talking about? If she’s as hot and un-PC as me then I don’t mind being compared to her at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

So that second season announcement has thrown a bomb into the drama series race. PGA had announced they are voiding all ballots and moving Big Little Lies to drama series!   http://deadline.com/2017/12/big-little-lies-moved-limited-series-to-drama-series-category-pga-awards-hbo-renewal-1202223387/

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 136 total)
Reply To: 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.