Home Forums Television 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 135 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Stretchy
Hunter-ish
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and This is Js are completely snubbed. I predict both of them to be dropped from series come Emmy nominations.

I thought Kimmy Schmidt would fall out earlier this year. Guess I called it a year too early.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are my thoughts on the WGA TV nominations:

I LOVE seeing 2 of the best-written episodes of 2017: “The Book of Nora” from The Leftovers and “Chicanery” from Better Call Saul nominated for Episodic Drama. Like Emmy Winner said though, it really is a bummer not seeing The Handmaid’s Tale in that category. Also, no Game of Thrones or Stranger Things in Episodic either is really surprising.

I’m worried about The Handmaid’s Tale’s chances in Drama Series considering that it couldn’t get in Episodic. It is a definite lock for New Series, however I think it could lose Drama Series to Better Call Saul (which had its best showing in Emmy nominations ever this season) or even The Americans, which could take home the prize for the 2nd year in a row. It is important to remember that while the Emmys snubbed The Americans for Drama Series it still interestingly got nominated in every other category it had gotten into the previous year, including Writing.

My parents loved Ozark, so I guess I might have to check that out depending on how it does with the Guilds. I took Jason Bateman and Laura Linney out of my Globe predictions just last night, weirdly enough, because I assumed no one remembered the show even existed.

The Episodic Comedy nominations are mostly meh to me. I want Veep to win just because I am such a fan of the show in general, but while “Judge” wasn’t one of the season’s worst episodes it was also far from one of their best. It seems odd that GLOW got into Best Comedy Series and Best New Series yet couldn’t make the cut for Episodic. Will & Grace would be a solid pick as well.

How the heck does the stale and most of the time genuinely unwatchable Simpsons get 2 freaking name-check/rubber-stamp nominations while Samurai Jack and Rick and Morty get completely shut out. On the plus side, hopefully this will make it easier for Bojack Horseman to win. I don’t think there will be vote-splitting among Bojack’s dual nods, with one of the nods being for “Time’s Arrow,” one of the most critically acclaimed episodes of the entire series.

I’m not at all surprised by Jimmy Fallon and James Corden’s snubs but Stephen Colbert’s Late Show failing to get nominated over Conan, Jim Jeffries, and most shockingly and obnoxiously of all Bill (Barf!) Maher feels inexcusable. I don’t think Colbert deserved to WIN, but surely he and his usually on-point writing staff were worthy of making the cut in a field of 8 nominees?

The President Show getting nominated warms my heart. What I would give to see them win this one over SNL. That would be pretty sweet. 🙂

I really tried to finish The Wizard of Lies and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, but in spite of getting well over halfway through with them I just couldn’t finish them. The former was poorly-crafted and sloppily-written. Even De Niro didn’t seem that invested in his Emmy-nominated (LMAO!) “performance.” The latter was just boring as heck and would have been better served on the Lifetime channel than HBO. Of the other 2 “Long Form Adapted” nominees, I would vote for Fargo over Big Little Lies because while all of Fargo is set in the same universe, it at least feels more like a legit anthology series. Big Little Lies being in this category is nothing more than a Big Fat LIE. It is every bit as much a serialized Drama Series as Game of Thrones and The Americans.

Finally, I guess I will have to give Curb Your Enthusiasm a shot by binging the new season. I have never seen an episode before, but that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying Will & Grace.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Just ignore the episodic categories when considering the main races.  For nominees and winners, they use panels—and the WGA panels always have the strangest preferences that are never consistent with the series categories that are voted on by all members.  The WGA basically uses the old Emmy system for some categories and the new one for others. The Ozark nomination was a shock.  I really thought that nobody cared about that show and have been predicting a Globe shutout as such, but again, the New Series category is decided by all of the WGA, so it clearly has significant visibility and some passion.  All sixty New Series nominees in WGA history have been Emmy-nominated, although three only got that status for a season after their first (The Affair, The Mindy Project, The Sarah Silverman Program).

Will & Grace… god it’s so good to be right. Next stop GG, SAG, PGA and of course Emmys. Fuck you haters.

Be happy for the Will & Grace nomination like I am for The Leftovers‘, but per above, do not put any stock into it being indicative of any industry support. It is in fifth place at best right now in the comedy race, given that GLOW and the three HBO comedies were nominated over it here (and this is all that we have so far).

So that second season announcement has thrown a bomb into the drama series race. PGA had announced they are voiding all ballots and moving Big Little Lies to drama series!

That is amazing! So proud of the PGA. Hopefully all other awards bodies follow suit.

ReplyCopy URL
    flv4466
    Participant
    Topics:

When are the DGA’s coming up?

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

January 10

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Is GLOW winning WGA? Atlanta won DGA, released around the same time as GLOW, and couldn’t even get nominated at SAG. GLOW overperformed at SAG and WGA. Maybe it can shock at both?

ReplyCopy URL
    flv4466
    Participant
    Topics:

January 10

Thanks! Hoping that “The Americans” could finally make it in!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

WGA Rectifies Snubs for Good Behavior, The Leftovers, The OA
    By Riley Chow, Gold Derby (December 8)

The Leftovers picked up a Best Drama Episode Writing nomination for its series finale from the Writers Guild of America today. It becomes the only comedy or drama ever to be nominated (all) three years by the WGA, but never by the Emmys in either a Best Series or Best Writing category. Its 2014 pilot was nominated for Best Long Form Adapted Writing (where the WGA categorizes feature-length pilots) and the second season’s International Assassin was nominated in 2015 for Best Drama Episode Writing.

The final season of another critical darling that was woefully ignored by the Emmys was less fortunate here. Rectify was nominated three years ago in Best Drama Episode Writing for its second season, but it now walks away empty-handed for a season that scored 99 on Metacritic.

Nominated in its place opposite The Leftovers are WGA favorites The Americans and Better Call Saul, plus left-field choices for the Good Behavior second season premiere and The OA pilot. The episodic categories are relatively adventurous because they are decided by small panels of volunteer judges, as opposed to the series categories that are voted on by the general WGA membership and are more reflective of industry sentiment. The nomination for The Soviet Decision, apparently from The Americans—the most recent season ended with an episode titled The Soviet Division—represents the first episodic recognition for The Americans, which won Best Drama Series Writing last year. Double-nominated in Best Drama Episode Writing for its third season, Better Call Saul extends its perfect record for leading nominations.

Snubbed is last year’s winner This is Us, which was also nominated for Best New Series. On the heels of a Best Drama Series nomination at the Emmys, it was poised to break into the Best Drama Series Writing category here in the absence of Westworld, which has not aired a new season since the last WGA Awards. However, Best Drama Series Emmy winner The Handmaid’s Tale took that slot and the other nominees—The Americans, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones and Stranger Things—held strong.

The Handmaid’s Tale is also up for Best New Series Writing, opposite The Deuce and Ozark, as well as comedies American Vandal and GLOW. Per Metacritic, Ozark is the worst-reviewed Best New Series Writing nominee since The Newsroom five years ago. Spun-off from eight-time WGA nominee The Good Wife, The Good Fight was limited to a Best Promotion Writing nomination for one of its commercials.

Also conspicuously absent from Best New Series Writing is Mindhunter, but timing might be the issue. Netflix released the complete first season eleven days before voting opened. Releasing late has increasingly been a hindrance with the WGA in the peak television era. The Crown debuted during WGA voting last year and was shut out, then went on to Best Drama Series and Writing nominations at the Emmys. Master of None debuted during WGA voting two years ago and was shut out, then went on to an Emmy nomination for Best Comedy Series and a Best Comedy Writing win.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST EDITED COMEDY SERIES FOR COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:

Black-ish: “Lemons”
    John Peter Bernardo, Jamie Pedroza

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: “Josh’s Ex-Girlfriend Wants Revenge”
    Kabir Akhtar, ACE & Kyla Plewes

Portlandia: “Amore”
    Heather Capps, Ali Greer, Jordan Kim

Will & Grace: “Grandpa Jack”
    Peter Beyt

BEST EDITED COMEDY SERIES FOR NON-COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:

Curb Your Enthusiasm: “Fatwa!”
    Steven Rasch, ACE

Curb Your Enthusiasm: “The Shucker”
    Jonathan Corn, ACE

Glow: “Pilot”
    William Turro, ACE

Veep: “Chicklet”
    Roger Nygard, ACE & Gennady Fridman

BEST EDITED DRAMA SERIES FOR COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:

Better Call Saul: “Chicanery”
    Skip Macdonald, ACE

Better Call Saul: “Witness”
    Kelley Dixon, ACE & Skip Macdonald, ACE

Fargo: “Aporia”
    Henk Van Eeghen, ACE

Fargo: “Who Rules the Land of Denial”
    Andrew Seklir, ACE

BEST EDITED DRAMA SERIES FOR NON-COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:

Big Little Lies: “You Get What You Need”
    David Berman

Game of Thrones: “Beyond the Wall”
    Tim Porter, ACE

Handmaid’s Tale: “Offred”
    Julian Clarke, ACE & Wendy Hallam Martin

Stranger Things: “The Gate”
    Kevin D. Ross, ACE

BEST EDITED MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE FOR TELEVISION:

Feud: “Pilot”
    Adam Penn, ACE & Ken Ramos

Genius: Einstein “Chapter One”
    James D. Wilcox

The Wizard of Lies
    Ron Patane

BEST EDITED NON-SCRIPTED SERIES:

Deadliest Catch: “Lost at Sea”
    Rob Butler, ACE & Ben Bulatao, ACE

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath:
    “The Perfect Scientology Family”
    Reggie Spangler, Ben Simoff, Kevin Hibbard & Vince Oresman
    `

VICE News Tonight: “Charlottesville: Race & Terror”
    Tim Clancy, Cameron Dennis, John Chimples & Denny Thomas

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

BLL nominated in Drama…will be interested to see which other groups join ACE and PGA.

Edit: Also, keeping an eye on Mindhunter, it gets nothing here. But GLOW sneaks in.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Stretchy.
    ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

BLL nominated in Drama…will be interested to see which other groups join ACE and PGA.

None of them have an excuse like SAG, so all of them should be joining. I doubt it though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

So Will & Grace got into another guild awards…

ReplyCopy URL
    hats-off
    Participant
    Topics:

Shouldn’t the handmaids tale be considered commercial television since most people with Hulu don’t pay extra to have no commercials? Is there a reason for this classification that I am not aware of?

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

So Will & Grace got into another guild awards…

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but its fans were blowing its awards chances out of proportion!!!

LOL, some W&G haters will have to delete their comments again, just like they did after the reviews, in a few weeks.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  sofan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Silicon Valley is dropped. It looks like GLOW seems to be taking it’s place at almost all the major awards and could be the show to beat at the Emmys. I’m betting Silicon Valley will no longer be a contender on paper (I say on paper because I predict it will miss nominations in categories essential to win best series that it was nominated for in the past).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 135 total)
Reply To: 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.