Home Forums Television 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 179 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Stretchy
Hunter-ish
  • Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Similarly to WGA, despite winning an award last year This is Us was completely snubbed. However, it made ensemble at SAG, which it wasn’t nominated for last year. I’m unsure if it will continue to be ignored by other major guilds. At the Emmys we saw that mostly the actors supported the show, so maybe This is Us will only have support in the future from the acting branch. Is that enough to maintain its series nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

so maybe This is Us will only have support in the future from the acting branch. Is that enough to maintain its series nomination?

I think they are safe for one more year

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Disappointed that they expanded comedy from three to eight nominees.  I was looking forward to finding out what was truly at the top.  For example, the nominees last year were Silicon Valley and double Veep.  At least they reduced the drama nominees from ten to eight to compensate some.  And an eight/eight split does make more sense than ten/three.

It is hard to articulate because Silicon Valley was not in it anyway, but they were always at the top and that is just not going to be the case this Emmy cycle.  Is Veep even ahead of Curb Your EnthusiasmVeep going from 2/3 comedy slots to 1/4 noncommercial comedy slots is not a good trajectory.

I had initially thought that this would finally be the year for Curb Your Enthusiasm, then the season came out and the critics turned on it and the ratings were down, but it is doing as well as it possibly could have with the industry, so maybe it will win after all.

Will go with GLOW for PGA though.  The vote-splitting between Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep and Silicon Valley in the field of five is going to be too much, plus the last three winners have been new dramedies and the PGA has a history of moving on before the Emmys in their winners.  The strange part is that Veep has actually never won PGA, but oh well.

Will & Grace was nominated over Better ThingsThe Good Place, Modern Family and a second black-ish, but so was Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.  Still, good for them for representing the first ACE multi-camera nomination since themselves thirteen years ago for their sixth season finale.

This is Us dropped after winning and Mr. Robot is out too.  Cutting the fifth noncommercial slot might have cost The Crown from repeating a nomination.  No Master of None either.

As expected, The Handmaid’s Tale is in, demonstrating that its Emmy snub was just a result of timing (that we paid dearly for with statistics and resulting predictions).  Big Little Lies is in drama, but only one of its six editors is credited.  Not sure what is going on there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Unless Atlanta dominates in nominations and has a killer season 2, I’m guessing we will be looking at GLOW vs Curb at the Emmys for series. I think it is worth noting that GLOW could break through for a first season at SAG when Atlanta couldn’t.

Hopefully PGA and DGA will throw us some curveballs with nominations and wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Curb Your Enthusiasm will win in 2018. Based on what I ‘ve seen it also doesn’t deserve at all. Seriously, no way it will win when we have shows like second season of Master of None, GLOW, Better Things. TV landscape has changed so much.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheMasterWoMan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m cheering for Outlander, The Gifted, and Once Upon a Time

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh hey there, Mindhunter. Nice of you to finally show up.

ReplyCopy URL
    kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

My previous post is awaiting approval by a moderator, so here it is again:

ART DIRECTORS GUILD AWARDS

One-Hour Period or Fantasy Single-Camera Series

A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS: “The Bad Beginning: Part One,” “The Reptile Room: Part One,” “The Wide Window: Part One”
    Production Designer: BO WELCH
    THE CROWN: “A Company of Men,” “Beryl,” “Dear Mrs. Kennedy”
    Production Designer: MARTIN CHILDS
    GAME OF THRONES: “Dragonstone,” “The Queen`s Justice,” “Eastwatch”
    Production Designer: DEBORAH RILEY
    MINDHUNTER: “S1:E1,” “S1:E4,” “S1:E9”
    Production Designer: STEVE ARNOLD
    STRANGER THINGS: “Chapter Six: The Spy,” “Chapter Eight: The Mind Flayer,” “Chapter Nine: The Gate”
    Production Designer: CHRIS TRUJILLO

<strong>One-Hour Contemporary Single-Camera Series</strong>

AMERICAN GODS: “The Bone Orchard,” “The Secret of Spoons,” “Head Full of Snow”
    Production Designer: PATTI PODESTA
    THE HANDMAID’S TALE: “Pilot, Offred,” “Birth Day,” “Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum”
    Production Designer: JULIE BERGHOFF
    THE HANDMAID’S TALE: “The Bridge”
    Production Designer: ANDREW STEARN
    MR. ROBOT: “eps3.0_power-saver-mode.h,” “eps3.1_undo.gz,” “eps3.2_legacy.so”
    Production Designer: ANASTASIA WHITE
    TWIN PEAKS: “Ep. 1: Part 1,” “Ep. 8: Part 8,” “Ep. 15: Part 15”
    Production Designer: RUTH DE JONG

<strong>Television Movie or LIMITED Series</strong>

AMERICAN HORROR STORY: CULT: “Election Night,” “Winter of Our Discontent”
    Production Designer: JEFF MOSSA
    BIG LITTLE LIES: “Somebody`s Dead,” “Living the Dream,” “You Get What You Need”
    Production Designer: JOHN PAINO
    BLACK MIRROR: “USS Callister”
    Production Designer: JOEL COLLINS
    FARGO: “The Narrow Escape Problem,” “The Law of Inevitability,” “Who Rules the Land of Denial?”
    Production Designer: ELISABETH WILLIAMS
    FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN: “Pilot,” “And the Winner is…,” “You Mean All This Time We Could Have Been Friends?”
    Production Designer: JUDY BECKER

Half Hour Single-Camera Series

FUTURE MAN: “Pandora’s Mailbox,” “Beyond The Truffledome,” “A Date With Destiny”
    Production Designer: JESSICA KENDER
    GLOW: “Pilot,” “The Wrath of Kuntar,” “The Dusty Spur”
    Production Designer: TODD FJELSTED
    MASTER OF NONE: “Le Nozze,” “Thanksgiving,” “Amarsi Un Po”
    Production Designer: AMY WILLIAMS
    SILICON VALLEY: “Hooli-Con,” “Server Error”
    Production Designer: RICHARD TOYON
    VEEP: “Omaha”
    Production Designer: JIM GLOSTER

MULTI-CAMERA Series

9JKL: “Pilot,” “Lovers Getaway,” “Set Visit”
    Production Designer: STEPHAN OLSON
    THE BIG BANG THEORY: “The Romance Recalibration,” “The Separation Agitation,” “The Explosion Implosion”
    Production Designer: JOHN SHAFFNER
    THE RANCH: “My Best Friend,” “Last Dollar (Fly Away),” “Wrapped Up in You”
    Production Designer: JOHN SHAFFNER
    SUPERIOR DONUTS: “Pilot,” “Crime Time,” “Arthur`s Day Off”
    Production Designer: STEPHAN OLSON
    WILL & GRACE: “Eleven Years Later,” “A Gay Olde Christmas”
    Production Designer: GLENDA ROVELLO

<strong>Variety or Competition Series/AWARDS OR EVENT SPECIAL</strong>

BILL NYE SAVES THE WORLD: “Earth Is A Hot Mess”
    Production Designer: JAMES PEARSE CONNELLY
    GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS: “74th Annual”
    Production Designer: BRIAN STONESTREET
    PORTLANDIA: “Portland Secedes,” “Ants,” “Fred`s Cell Phone Company”
    Production Designer: SCHUYLER TELLEEN
    SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: “Aziz Ansari + Big Sean,” “Alec Baldwin + Ed Sheeran,” “Larry David + Miley Cyrus”
    Production Designers: KEITH IAN RAYWOOD, EUGENE LEE, AKIRA
    YOSHIMURA, N. JOSEPH DeTULLIO
    SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW: “STARRING LADY GAGA”
    Production Designer: BRUCE RODGERS

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Look, Will and Grace hit another guild awards…

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Shame on ADG for keeping Big Little Lies in Limited Series category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I too doubt the Emmys bestow anything upon Curb in the way of wins. It’ll garner nominations but keep in mind, it’s merely scored two victories (one in Directing in ’03 and an Editing win in ’12) over the course of its entire run.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    DonnaLyaman
    Participant
    Topics:

On the other hand, things are looking up for GLOW. I might predict it for series depending on SAGs and Globes.

I thought they’ll be a few bones thrown at “Mrs Maisel” Unless it premiered after voting have ended?

“This is Us” is seemingly dead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

PGA predictions for tomorrow:

Drama:
    Game of Thrones
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Stranger Things
    The Crown
    Big Little Lies

Comedy:
    Veep
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    GLOW
    Silicon Valley
    Master of None

Limited:
    Black Mirror
    FEUD
    Fargo
    Godless
    American Horror Story: Cult

I’d like to find out if American Vandal is competing as a comedy or limited series. Hopefully it can get a limited nomination.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hunter-ish.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I assume comedy since that is where Netflix placed it for WGA. Critics’ Choice placed it in limited themselves.

Regardless of what the critics or Globes said, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel had an uphill battle, being an Amazon November release.  Then again, the ADG just nominated Future Man,  Hulu November release that I think most people even on this forum have never heard of.

Would have been pretty pathetic if Will & Grace could not get a multi-camera nomination over 9JKL. Is there rejoicing because the hope is that Will & Grace racks up nominations in the Creative Arts categories that have allowed for CBS to begin 2 Broke Girls press releases with “Nine-Time Emmy Award-Nominated Hit Comedy”?

Happy to see American Gods, Mindhunter and A Series of Unfortunate Events on the board with well-deserved production design recognition. GLOW has the edge over Curb Your Enthusiasm here and Silicon Valley hangs on.

There are a number of inconsistencies with the Emmys here. Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent were dropped for Master of None, which also bested Grace and Frankie, which was nominated over it at the Emmys. Did Master of None drop too late for that branch at the Emmys?

The Young Pope was nominated over all of American Horror Story, Big Little Lies and Fargo at the Emmys, but I suppose that it has been unable to maintain its buzz almost a year later. Twin Peaks is a drama, but Big Little Lies is limited. Thought that Feud would have shown up in the commercial category.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 179 total)
Reply To: 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.