2017 ACE Eddies Nominations (TV)

Home // Forums // Television // 2017 ACE Eddies Nominations (TV)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
  • GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (TELEVISION):
    The Choice 2016
    Steve Audette, ACE

Everything is Copy
    Bob Eisenhart, ACE

We Will Rise:
    Michelle Obama’s Mission to Educate Girls Around the World
    Oliver Lief

BEST EDITED HALF-HOUR SERIES:
    Silicon Valley: “The Uptick”
    Brian Merken, ACE

Veep: “Morning After”
    Steven Rasch, ACE

Veep: “Mother”
    Shawn Paper

BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES (COMMERCIAL):
    Better Call Saul: “Fifi”
    Skip Macdonald, ACE

Better Call Saul: “Klick”
    Skip Macdonald, ACE & Curtis Thurber

Better Call Saul: “Nailed”
    Kelley Dixon, ACE & Chris McCaleb

Mr. Robot: “eps2.4m4ster-s1ave.aes”
    Philip Harrison

This is Us: “Pilot”
    David L. Bertman, ACE

BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES (NON-COMMERCIAL):
    The Crown: “Assassins”
    Yan Miles, ACE

Game of Thrones: “Battle of the Bastards”
    Tim Porter, ACE

Stranger Things: “Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers”
    Dean Zimmerman

Stranger Things: “Chapter Seven: The Bathtub”
    Kevin D. Ross

Westworld: “The Original”
    Stephen Semel, ACE & Marc Jozefowicz

BEST EDITED MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE (NON-THEATRICAL):
    All the Way
    Carol Littleton, ACE

The Night Of: “The Beach”
    Jay Cassidy, ACE

The People V. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
    “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia”
    Adam Penn, Stewart Schill, ACE & C. Chi-yoon Chung

BEST EDITED NON-SCRIPTED SERIES:
    Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown: “Manila”
    Hunter Gross, ACE

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown: Senegal
    Mustafa Bhagat

Deadliest Catch: “Fire at Sea: Part 2”
    Josh Earl, ACE & Alexander Rubinow, ACE

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Second guild domination for Better Call Saul after WGA – happy to see the industry recognize a really strong second season after the Emmys pretty much blanked it. I wonder if it just missed out in a bunch of categories…

So glad Mr. Robot made it! I was worries it would be completely dropped from the entire guild circuit but this at least gives me hope that it will hold on to its series spot.

This Is Us….again :/ Is this really happening for series?

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes This is Us is happening, it’s a fantastic show and something that network voters can get behind.

ReplyCopy URL
    taloson
    Participant
    Topics:

Really cool to see four new shows performing really strongly with guilds — The Crown, Stranger Things, This Is Us and Westworld. How often do we have so many new contenders in one year? Should make for an interesting Emmys if the industry love continues.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The Night Of is the real deal. It has not been snubbed by a guild yet. Good to see the right episode nominated, unlike at ASC.

This reaffirms Veep as the number-one comedy and Silicon Valley as number two. We learned nothing else in that arena.

The Crown has seven editors, so that might be a mess at the Emmys, but it certainly helps that the season’s climax is edited by the only one that has been nominated for an Eddie or Emmy (and he has won both) and the episode now has an Eddie nomination to back it up.

How strange that Mr. Robot was snubbed for editing and cinematography for its pilot and first season by both the Emmys and the guilds last year and it gets into both guilds this year with a weaker season that seems to be faring worse above the line. I wonder if it gets DGA. ACE nominated the technically showy episode of the season; ASC just went with the premiere.

Better Call Saul is giving House of Cards a run for its money as the returning drama that we need to be worried about. Homeland is also in that game, but it is ineligible for most guild awards this year, as it did not air in 2016.

The Good Wife is snubbed for the first time in four years.

As strong as This is Us has been, it is definitely in fourth out of the four new dramas that are coming on strong. It got a SAG nomination, but not in ensemble like the other three. It got a new series nomination at WGA, but so did Better Things. It got a WGA episodic nomination, but that was a panel vote. And here, it is competing in the commercial category away from the premium cable and streaming heavy hitters.

I guess that those are the Stranger Things submissions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

I have to say, these editing noms for ST has added to my excitement to see how well it does come July. It seems to be a foregone conclusion to get in Drama Series, which is understated in itself, but getting significant below-the-line noms to bump it up to double digits will be great for this unheralded show compared to any other contenders. I mean, last year it was GoT and HoC with double digit noms if i remember correctly, the latter boosted by 5 in Guest.

I’m almost confident it will be The Crown leading with ~20 noms since it was pretty much custom built for that, followed by ST and then Westworld. What do you think, Mr. Riley? I know you’re the expert on those BTL categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Twenty nominations seems pretty optimistic to me, given that even Game of Thrones only started with thirteen.

Stranger Things is going to be limited by how it is only competitive for two acting nominations. Westworld could get up to five and I have The Crown down for four right now.

I also think that Westworld is the most on-brand for the academy right now. The Crown looks like it was made to win Emmys, but I feel like the Emmys have been resisting that sort of thing lately; Westworld is the new Game of Thrones. Things seem crowded enough that I am not expecting any of them to get multiple writing or directing nominations.

Only Westworld of the three got a guild nomination for cinematography and that category is not always the kindest to new shows anyway. There is not really enough space for all three to get into costumes and I would think that Stranger Things is the weakest. I do not remember the makeup (prosthetic or not) in Stranger Things being particularly showy. I would think that Stranger Things would also miss main title design, since it is just text.

It is rare that something is not double-nominated in editing, so that is a place for Stranger Things to make up a bit of ground. They are only going to have two submissions and they proved themselves at ACE. The question is if Better Call Saul ends up being the double nominee again instead.

The Crown is not getting into sound editing and I doubt that Stranger Things is either. Westworld also has a significant advantage over both in stunts.

If Westworld does not falter, it could get twenty-three nominations actually. Counting up what I have laid out above, Stranger Things could get fourteen and The Crown could get nineteen. Hmm!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: 2017 ACE Eddies Nominations (TV)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.